LX3 and external flash...

erictan8888

Nov 9, 2004
Singapore
hi,

just a couple of questions i hope users of LX3 can help....

1. if i attach the SB600 to the LX3, wondering if can get full TTL ?

2. if not then izzit manual ?

3. if manual, then how to adjust the output of flash so that does not look too harsh?
i mean does the external flash "communicate" with the LX3 or vice versa so that flash output not too strong ?

thanks a lot :)

hi,

3. if manual, then how to adjust the output of flash so that does not look too harsh?
i mean does the external flash "communicate" with the LX3 or vice versa so that flash output not too strong ?

Answer to Q1: No you won't get TTL, you would need a Olympus or Panasonic Flash for TTL ( eg: FL36, FL50), :)

FL36 work very well..u can shoot at 1/2000 at FP mode if am not wrong....heard about it but have not try it..

I have a Canon Speedlite 420EX flash... will it work on an LX3?

I have a Canon Speedlite 420EX flash... will it work on an LX3?

It should trigger, but I'm not sure how useful it'll be when its blasting at full output each time since it doesn't have a manual mode..

It should trigger, but I'm not sure how useful it'll be when its blasting at full output each time since it doesn't have a manual mode..

Hmm.... I wonder would anyone purchase a Olympus or Panasonic Flash just for his/her LX3? :think:

Think you need to get the smaller one which won't be top heavy. If not handling will be an issue.

just fyi...u do not need a dedicated olympus or panasonic flash in order to to shoot at hi speed or FP mode.... any flash that can be trigger manually or automatically will work/synch with lx3 max speed at 1/2000 sec...since Lx3 is electronic shutter .... it does not have the physical limitation faced by those dslr which used the mechanical shutter....ttl based high speed flash or FP power output is considerably less than the non-hi speed/FP version
iirc sb 600 doesn't work well with lx3 as it doesn't have A mode nor manual mode....
u are better off with old nikon flash or any flash with vary power output.

Last edited:
hi,

1. nope..no ttl
2. either in auto mode(auto thrysistor) or manual
3. if manual...it will be based on user own experience to adjust accordlingly,
if auto....the sensor from the auto thrysistor based flash will output the power accordlingly based on the built in sensor of the flash unit itself

Saw another post on compact flash, wonder flash like this, Sunpak RD2000 will work well on LX3 or not? AS it claim to have TTL for specific brand like Canon and Nikon.
photo.jpg

http://www.sunpak.jp/english/products/rd2000/index.html

i dun think so it will work well
as it doesn't have the vary power output.

It does not work with LX3 TTL!

Guide Number (ISO 100-m) 20
Flash Control Mode Canon: E-TTLII Nikon: i-TTL Sony(α): ADI, P-TTL
Compatible Cameras Digital SLR cameras with above ash control mode.
Wireless Function -
Recycling Time *Full flashing Alkaline
Battery 2-AA approx. 5 sec.
Ni-MH
Battery 2-AA approx. 4 sec.
No. of Flashes *Full flashing Alkaline
Battery 2-AA approx. 200
Ni-MH
Battery 2-AA approx. 280
Auto Effective Range
(Focal Length at 35mm) TTL Auto 1.0~10m
Power Ratio -
Angle of Coverage Covers the focal length of 22mm or longer (APS-C size)
Covers the focal length of 32mm or longer
(when converted to 35-mm lm size)
Effective Range of AF Assist Light -
Flash Speed Approx. 1/800 sec.
Bounce Flash Vertical: Up 90°
Wide Panel 16mm (APS-C size)
24mm (when converted to 35-mm film size)
Zoom Position Display
(switch type) -
Dimensions
(H*W*D) (w/o Shoe) Approx. 43.5x60x88mm / 1.8x2.4x3.5in
Weight (w/o Battery) Approx. 100g / 3.5oz
Accessory -
EAN (maker code 4960436) For Canon 023980 For Nikon 024017 For Sony(α) 024062

Some sample below to show that how easy and effortless to strobe wirelessly using manual flash without any high speed synch, FP with digicam with electronic shutter than dslr with mechanical shutter

sample 1 taken without flash to show how dark the room is
P1010646.jpg

sample 2 taken with A700 with wireless triiger using vivitar flash at x/synch speed of 1/250 sec
DSC07210.jpg

sample 3 to show the limitation of the mechanical shutter when u pushed it beyond it limit at 1/400 sec
DSC07212.jpg

sample 4 when push at anything abv 1/400 sec
DSC07213.jpg

sample 5 how easy and effortless it is to use with the lx3
taken at 1/2000sec

P1010644.jpg

I got the 28 AF-3 after going through tons of trouble. But it works well with the LX3. i.e at least everything is automatic.

But one thing before you purchase it (most probably online), make sure its running on firmware version 2.0. The 1.0 will only support the older gen of oly digicams. Version 2.0 will support most of the newer cameras from both Olympus and Panasonic.

my sb800 works very well in aperture (A) mode on the flash. just adjust the aperture to match the aperture on the cam.

Where did you get it and how much is the price ?

Thanks.

I got the 28 AF-3 after going through tons of trouble. But it works well with the LX3. i.e at least everything is automatic.

But one thing before you purchase it (most probably online), make sure its running on firmware version 2.0. The 1.0 will only support the older gen of oly digicams. Version 2.0 will support most of the newer cameras from both Olympus and Panasonic.

Where did you get it and how much is the price ?

Thanks.

I got it from Amazon USA. But when I got it, it was running under firmware rev 1.1. The LX3 totally can't control it. So after communicating with Metz germany, they ask me to send it back to US, BogenImaging for the upgrade. So the nice service guy flashed it to firmware 2.0 and after that you can have full control from the camera. i.e you can chose fill flash, redeye reduction and etc...more options to choose as compared to the internal pop up.

But if you can try to get from Europe esp from Germany, its better since most are already running on firmware 2.0. The US side seems like its a mixed bag. Depends if you are lucky to get the one running on the new firmware.

Also take note that if you are buying from other countries, the firmware version is stated on the packaging. This is as advised by the Metz service guy in Germany.

Note : Only the Olympus Metz got an additional item which is the illuminator, but on the LX3, don't think it work on LX3. Maybe only for Olympus cameras. When I deactivate the illuminator on the LX3, once you mount the flash, it will somehow override the camera settings and your LX3 illuminator will light up when you focus on something.

Many thanks for the detailed information bro. :)

I got it from Amazon USA. But when I got it, it was running under firmware rev 1.1. The LX3 totally can't control it. So after communicating with Metz germany, they ask me to send it back to US, BogenImaging for the upgrade. So the nice service guy flashed it to firmware 2.0 and after that you can have full control from the camera. i.e you can chose fill flash, redeye reduction and etc...more options to choose as compared to the internal pop up.

But if you can try to get from Europe esp from Germany, its better since most are already running on firmware 2.0. The US side seems like its a mixed bag. Depends if you are lucky to get the one running on the new firmware.

Also take note that if you are buying from other countries, the firmware version is stated on the packaging. This is as advised by the Metz service guy in Germany.

Note : Only the Olympus Metz got an additional item which is the illuminator, but on the LX3, don't think it work on LX3. Maybe only for Olympus cameras. When I deactivate the illuminator on the LX3, once you mount the flash, it will somehow override the camera settings and your LX3 illuminator will light up when you focus on something.