LX3: 16x9, 3x2, 4x3 Gimmick or useful?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomaschan

Dec 30, 2002
Visit site
Hi at first i thought that the different aspect ratios were all gimmicks, meaning that if i shot at the largest image size (which would be 4x3) i would be able to crop to obtain the smaller aspect ratios (16x9).

However, when i click the "multi aspect" mode in the LX3, i realized that 16x9 is actually wider than 4x3 and 3x2, ie. there some parts of the scene that are in 16x9 mode, but not in 4x3 mode, and vice versa!

Which leads me to ask, if the sensor itself is a fixed aspect ratio, that means at 16x9 mode, the image the full width of the sensor, but not the full height. and at 4x3, the image uses the full height, but not the full width. So why didnt panasonic make an aspect ratio that is exxactly the size of the sensor?

Panasonic wanted to retain the 24mm angle of view across all 3 aspect ratios instead of the cropping method they did for the previous LXs..

what do u guys do with 16:9 photos other than storing them in soft copies? i want to print them @ photo labs but suppose they don't have paper in that exact ratio, so either i have to cut myself or print on normal (but high gsm) paper. any other suggestions what i can do with 16:9 shots? somemore most of my best shots come from 16:9 rather than the other two..

not sure if shops still keep APS(H) format paper, its 4X7in and about as close to the 16:9 ratio íf you don't wanna cut..

I know some shops have pano format printing, though its just printing on a larger size and cutting for you, look out for 8x4.5in if they do have.. alternatively, you can just paste 2 pics into a 8x10in canvas in photoshop and print out in 8R and cut..

hmm, i think 4x7in is the one i'm looking for, since i'm looking for the 16:9 equivalent of 4R paper. anyone knows which photo lab still has it?

What aspect ratio do you guys use most of the time?

If want to develop into print, is 3x2 the recommended ratio to use?

haha personally i quite like to use the 16:9 for landscape shots! Somehow, landscape shot in this aspect ratio always looks nice LOL.

haha... gimmick? maybe, maybe not... i think its just a preference for user... let the user choose watever size they wan... 16:9 is rather wide, make the photo look quite artistic at time... i'm using 3:2, its becoz i usually develop photo to 4R size

anyway the sensor or the quality of the photo will not be affected... furthermore, alot of camera sony, canon etc... also have this 3 screen size.

so if its really a gimmick to u... at least all camera brand have it... so i think lumix will not wanna lose out by not having it

Last edited:
Thank you spartacus.

Status
Not open for further replies.