LX2 optimum sdcard

Status
Not open for further replies.

micah4

Sep 14, 2005
Which SDcard produce the fastest write time for RAW?

Is it Sandisk Extreme III? How many secs does that translate to?

Or Kingston Ultimate 120x or 133x?

Or Transcend 150x?

Anyone using Adata 150x with 2GB or 4GB?

Share ur experience with the type of sdcard u use with the LX2...:)

i am not taking continuous shots so even the standard Kingston SD card good enough for me. Havent tried video mode yet though...I am inclined to get the Transcend card...good value for money.

transcend and Adata = best bang for bucks
kingston = not here not there... in the middle (my fave... been using this brand for about 1yr without any crash/corruption...etc)
sandisk = well known for flash memory

performance wise, all of them should be good enough. infact i think a kingston elite pro @ 50x is good enough.

micah4 said:
Which SDcard produce the fastest write time for RAW?

Is it Sandisk Extreme III? How many secs does that translate to?

Or Kingston Ultimate 120x or 133x?

Or Transcend 150x?

Anyone using Adata 150x with 2GB or 4GB?

Share ur experience with the type of sdcard u use with the LX2...:)
I use Sandisk Extreme III 2Gb SD on my 'LX1' equivalent, I believe the speed is similar to 133x maybe slightly slower I think, never really timed it. Now, thinking maybe not worth paying for premium when Lexar or Kingston 133x can do equally well maybe faster.

../azul123

transcend and Adata = best bang for bucks
kingston = not here not there... in the middle (my fave... been using this brand for about 1yr without any crash/corruption...etc)
sandisk = well known for flash memory

performance wise, all of them should be good enough. infact i think a kingston elite pro @ 50x is good enough.
kingston elite pro should be somewhere in the middle in terms of speed.
just now went sls and saw normal speed (cheapest) to 50X to 120X(most expensive).

I am using a TwinMOS 150X 2GB, it is supremely fast in my LX1. Love it. And it is cheap too at $69.

kingston elite pro should be somewhere in the middle in terms of speed.
just now went sls and saw normal speed (cheapest) to 50X to 120X(most expensive).

yup... 50x is right in the middle... but i think that 50x is more than enough, so why pay more for higher speed? might be wrong tho. the normal speed is not recommanded, as it is really slow, so go for the elite pro at the very least. but if price of the elite pro and ultimate(120x) is close, just get the ultimate

I am using a TwinMOS 150X 2GB, it is supremely fast in my LX1. Love it. And it is cheap too at $69.
Where can I buy that? :)

well, for a fact, Sandisk Extreme III 133x is hitting like 3-4secs for RAW writes!! I guess Elite Pro shld be about 5-6secs/raw-writes.

Still, is anyone on LX2 using Adata 150x and the 4GB version??? The 4GB version is selling for $120 (1yr warranty though). Not sure whether this Adata 4GB is of the SDHC genry. :think:

well, for a fact, Sandisk Extreme III 133x is hitting like 3-4secs for RAW writes!! I guess Elite Pro shld be about 5-6secs/raw-writes.

Still, is anyone on LX2 using Adata 150x and the 4GB version??? The 4GB version is selling for $120 (1yr warranty though). Not sure whether this Adata 4GB is of the SDHC genry. :think:
if lx2 can fully utilise the speed of kingston elite pro which is 50x or 7.5MB/s, the write time will be as fast as extreme III. from DP "benchmark" lx2 write speed is about 4.4MB/s which is still lower than what elite pro offers. but then again there will always be a chance where camera will write slightly slower with a slower card :dunno:

if lx2 can fully utilise the speed of kingston elite pro which is 50x or 7.5MB/s, the write time will be as fast as extreme III. from DP "benchmark" lx2 write speed is about 4.4MB/s which is still lower than what elite pro offers. but then again there will always be a chance where camera will write slightly slower with a slower card :dunno:
Well, from more feedbacks, Extreme III is an overkill for the LX2 raw-writes - 3-4secs seemed to be the ultimate. For this write-speed, a Transcend 150x can hit that, which I think similarly for all rated at 133x and 150x. Cheers, save the dollars for other things.

So no-one have been brave enough to try the Adata 4GB...;) ...what throws me off this brand is the one-year warranty, and shop-based somemore.

I'm getting 3-4 secs write time for RAW using my Kingston 50X Elite Pro on my LX1 so your observation is pretty accurate.

Can save money since the Kingston is cheaper.

I'm getting 3-4 secs write time for RAW using my Kingston 50X Elite Pro on my LX1 so your observation is pretty accurate.

Can save money since the Kingston is cheaper.
unfortunately not for the LX2. :)

unfortunately not for the LX2. :)
erm tested? logically it should be the same as lx1 since 50x is far higher than the max write speed of lx2 which is quoted 4.4MB/s by DPreview using sandisk extreme... would be good if you could share some of the test result, so our fellow lx2 user can save some bucks getting lower speed card instead.

as for adata 4gb... it seems to be a good buy, but i would prefer to get 4x 1gb instead. 1gb out of 4gb corrupted is always better than 4gb corrupted at one time. =x

erm tested? logically it should be the same as lx1 since 50x is far higher than the max write speed of lx2 which is quoted 4.4MB/s by DPreview using sandisk extreme... would be good if you could share some of the test result, so our fellow lx2 user can save some bucks getting lower speed card instead.

as for adata 4gb... it seems to be a good buy, but i would prefer to get 4x 1gb instead. 1gb out of 4gb corrupted is always better than 4gb corrupted at one time. =x
that's the purpose why I started this thread...to find/confirm from actual usage what card/model is able to achieve 3-4secs/raw-writes - theory doesn't really bite. So far...from other forums and this, I've been able to gauge that 133x and 150x rated sdcards are able to achieve the 3-4secs/raw-writes for LX2s and no-one has yet mentioned Elite Pro amongst the lot.

Hence if anyone who's using Elite Pro can share their experience, that would be great for everyone. :)

**btw, I shld hv mentioned that I'm currently using a Twinmos Ultra-X 66x 1GB sdcard and I'm getting about 8-9secs/raw-writes.

Some examples (actual user reports):
Panasonic Pro HS = around 4.5sec
Transcend 150x = around 3-4sec
Sandisk Extreme III = around 3-4sec (LX2 limitation)
Kingston Ultimate = ?? ...anyone using this, care to supply the info.

Edited: Twinmos Ultra-X 66x 1GB = 7-8secs/raw-writes (used stop-watch to measure)

I've been able to gauge that 133x and 150x rated sdcards are able to achieve the 3-4secs/raw-writes for LX2s and no-one has yet mentioned Elite Pro amongst the lot.

Err...I thought I just did but then mine is LX1. I'm surprised that LX2 is slower than LX1 using the same card. How much slower is it? I would have thought it would be even faster if not the same.

I've just made a few test shots while I'm typing this and can confirm that it takes 3-4 sec RAW write time using the Kingston 2GB 50X Elite pro. Almost wanted to get a faster card like those 150X but after what ExplorerZ highlighted, lucky I didn't as the speed would not be any faster.

Err...I thought I just did but then mine is LX1. I'm surprised that LX2 is slower than LX1 using the same card. How much slower is it? I would have thought it would be even faster if not the same.

I've just made a few test shots while I'm typing this and can confirm that it takes 3-4 sec RAW write time using the Kingston 2GB 50X Elite pro. Almost wanted to get a faster card like those 150X but after what ExplorerZ highlighted, lucky I didn't as the speed would not be any faster.
im not sure how well any of those card will perform, but i think you missed out that lx2 raw file is much bigger than lx1 due to the increase in MP.
As far as my luck, my elite pro 512mb is faster than my elite pro 2gb. tested with d50 using burst mode. with 512mb i can get at least 25 L Fine jpg @ 2.5fps... but with 2gb, i only managed 20frames before it slows down. :sweat: :dunno:
but im happy with the result, since it is still better than what DPreview quoted which is 16frames using both Lexar 512mb high-spd and sandisk extreme III 1gb :D (might be due to my test scene is pretty plain, so each jpg is of slightly smaller size)

im not sure how well any of those card will perform, but i think you missed out that lx2 raw file is much bigger than lx1 due to the increase in MP

Yep you might be right. I forgot that the LX2 has more pixels to contend with. Now I'm tempted to get that 150X card again lol. Maybe can cut down the write time to 1-2 secs woohoo

Status
Not open for further replies.