LX1 or LC1

Status
Not open for further replies.

alvinchuan

Apr 5, 2004
Serangoon
Hello everyone
I am looking for a dig cam to replace my aging G1. And I am kind of zoom down to LX1 and LC1.
I am hoping for some feedback to help me to make a decision.
In terms of picture quality (sharpness and contrast) and built (handling and responds) will LX1 superior than LC1?

Thanks in advance.

Alvin

These are 2 very different cameras. It would be very difficult to compare. What made you even consider LC1 in the first place since it lack many of the featrues that are present in LX1.

The only things that LC1 has going for it is its classic style, analog controls and the lens - a very fast (f/2.0-2.4) Leica Vario-Summicron, probably the best lens Panasonic has ever put into their digital cameras todate. And these are the features that makes me still hold on to my LC1.

tomcat said:
The only things that LC1 has going for it is its classic style, analog controls and the lens - a very fast (f/2.0-2.4) Leica Vario-Summicron, probably the best lens Panasonic has ever put into their digital cameras todate. And these are the features that makes me still hold on to my LC1.
Hi Tomcat
Exactly; it is the classic rangefinder look and leica box like feel that caught my eye. I have been long to buy it when it was first launch. But I hesitated then because it was quite expensive(@2300+) and I decided to put my money into L lens instead. But now I have a reason and the price has drop to around (1400). Yes I know at a cheaper price, LX1 has more features and is the latest model compare to LC1 which may be end of the product cycle. But like you said "Leica Vario-Summicron, probably the best lens Panasonic has ever put into their digital cameras to date" Therefore I like to know given a fair assessment is LC1 still worthy contender over the feature rich LX1 base on the picture quality.

Alvin

alvinchuan said:
In terms of picture quality (sharpness and contrast) and built (handling and responds) will LX1 superior than LC1?

The straight answer is NO.

GO check out the reviews for both cameras and download the images to compare and you will be able to tell. For the simple reason that the CCD in the LC1 is much larger and it has a much faster and sharper albeit larger lens, the image quality is going to be better. But of course still no match for a DSLR with a good quality (but expensive) lens.

With regards to built quality and handling, it is rather easy to tell which camera is better even without holding them.

Hi Tomcat and Tao

Thanks for the comment and it has help me to re affirm my mind and go for the LC1 to replace my aging G1.

Cheers
Alvin

alvinchuan said:
Hi Tomcat and Tao

Thanks for the comment and it has help me to re affirm my mind and go for the LC1 to replace my aging G1.

Cheers
Alvin

That is provided that you can find one at the right price. Even looking at prices for a rare 2nd hand piece, can buy DSLR already.

alvinchuan said:
Hi Tomcat and Tao

Cheers
Alvin

Tried the LX1 myself and i must say i'm damnn tempted to get 1 too due to the FEATURES (16:9!!!!) and compact size and 8mp.

But so far the LC1 has the best feel of all the lumix cams. it may be only 5mp but the look of the images are simply gorgeous.

lim8395 said:
Tried the LX1 myself and i must say i'm damnn tempted to get 1 too due to the FEATURES (16:9!!!!) and compact size and 8mp.

But so far the LC1 has the best feel of all the lumix cams. it may be only 5mp but the look of the images are simply gorgeous.

Agree LX1 has very good features and my only dislike are the joy stick which need training to use effectively and the noise which is noticeable only at 100% crop. Beside that manual focusing is also not easy partly due to the joy stick.(This not a important feature)
16:9 ratio is very interesting format but printing in this format is still not so easly available.

LC1 on the other hand mimic an analog convectional box like rangefinder which give the feel of manual operation and the images produce are also very good. Sad to say this model has already stop production. I was told that a shop at people park still has this camera but I have yet go down to check.

Alvin

alvinchuan said:
LC1 on the other hand mimic an analog convectional box like rangefinder which give the feel of manual operation and the images produce are also very good. Sad to say this model has already stop production. I was told that a shop at people park still has this camera but I have yet go down to check.

Alvin

Why don't buy second-hand instead?

Saw some around Peninsular going quite cheaply. Wanted one in the beginning but things happen. Haha

LX1 is damn tempting cos of the 16:9 format but I think after a while will get sian of it?

For me, both cameras are very different. If size is a concern, the LX1 is almost perfect. But i'd rather get a DSLR instead of the LC1 since size is not a matter of concern.

anyway just to sidetrack a bit....

anyone got/tried the Ricoh GR-D ?

what's everyones take on LX1 vs the Ricoh GR-D

lim8395 said:
anyway just to sidetrack a bit....

anyone got/tried the Ricoh GR-D ?

what's everyones take on LX1 vs the Ricoh GR-D

It's a good camera but at 28mm only without zoom and image stablizer is not very versatile compare to LX1

Alvin

alvinchuan said:
It's a good camera but at 28mm only without zoom and image stablizer is not very versatile compare to LX1

Alvin

Ya loh...28mm only....haizz...but heard lots of good stuff abt the ricoh GR-D and it's fitted with a very good lens.

anyway , alvin, did u get ure LC1 yet? Hope to see u post photos taken with the LC1 in this forum. seldom see anyone post any photos taken with the LC1 here in this forum.

lim8395 said:
Ya loh...28mm only....haizz...but heard lots of good stuff abt the ricoh GR-D and it's fitted with a very good lens.

anyway , alvin, did u get ure LC1 yet? Hope to see u post photos taken with the LC1 in this forum. seldom see anyone post any photos taken with the LC1 here in this forum.

Yes I just got my LC1 last Sunday from Darling Photo at People's Park. Panasonic Singapore pointed me to them when I sort their help to check if any of their dealers still has this camera.

Have try some test shot at home; really like the color and the built in flash system.
It also work with the old Metz 32 Z1 :thumbsup:

I intend to bring it with me to Korea holiday this December. Hope fully it will not fail at cold weather.

alvinchuan said:
Yes I just got my LC1 last Sunday from Darling Photo at People's Park. Panasonic Singapore pointed me to them when I sort their help to check if any of their dealers still has this camera.

Have try some test shot at home; really like the color and the built in flash system.
It also work with the old Metz 32 Z1 :thumbsup:

I intend to bring it with me to Korea holiday this December. Hope fully it will not fail at cold weather.

Metz 32 Z1 flash on a digicam like LC1? Safe meh...read somewhere u can't anyhow put old flashes on digicams otherwise may fry the internal circuitry.

LOOK forward to ure Korea photos!!!!;)

lim8395 said:
Metz 32 Z1 flash on a digicam like LC1? Safe meh...read somewhere u can't anyhow put old flashes on digicams otherwise may fry the internal circuitry.

LOOK forward to ure Korea photos!!!!;)

I am not aware of it. It is very good flash , I use it for my FM2 and sometime my R3a. It will not work with my leica CM and 10D. I will do some checking thanks for the warning.

alvinchuan said:
I am not aware of it. It is very good flash , I use it for my FM2 and sometime my R3a. It will not work with my leica CM and 10D. I will do some checking thanks for the warning.
The only flash that is fully auto TTL ie TTL/GNC with the LC1 (and Leica Digilux 2 & Leica CM) is the Leica SF-24D. A bit ex though.
Even Panasonic's own flash DMW-FL28 is not auto TTL on the LC1, just Auto.
For Metz flashes, must have the SCA 3502 adapter to work.

How much did you pay for the LC1 by the way?

Status
Not open for further replies.