LX 3 for beginner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thunderflash

Mar 10, 2009
I am a beginner in photography with no technical knowledge at the moment.
Interested in landscape and candid shots. Intending to go over to vietnam this june therefore getting a camera. After much contemplation, advices and research more or less decided on getting LX 3.

Just want to hear what you guys think abt it.. Haha dont want to regret ahhhh. Now still schooling lol.

Thanks and regards :)

LX3 is good for the beginer as well. Even if you should in the auto mode you can get a good picture. if you can afford it why not?

LX3 on a china trip

P1010290.jpg

^wow!

just remember the LX 3 is pretty much target for wide angle usage, and its furthest 60mm zoom might not be friendly to majority of the PnS crowd....
otherwise its a awesome cam!

just remember the LX 3 is pretty much target for wide angle usage, and its furthest 60mm zoom might not be friendly to majority of the PnS crowd....
otherwise its a awesome cam!

ya, not everyone can stand the limitation of its zoom.

Hi guys, thanks a lot for your inputs.
I actually like the wide lens a lt as i believe it will be gd for landscape, only concern is for zoom in candid shots. The lack of zoom may nt allow me to capture the expression i want frm far. But then cant get best of both world and like what other said, just walk closer :D

capturing expression

P1010159.jpg

capturing scenery..wide angle delight

P1010518.jpg

i'm also a newbie looking for a new camera... been lurking in this forum for some time...not too sure whether i wanna get a dslr so thought of settling for lx3 to try on... i saw great macro and scenery shots from the lx3 but i would like to take nice portraits too... that's why still pondering......

i'm also a newbie looking for a new camera... been lurking in this forum for some time...not too sure whether i wanna get a dslr so thought of settling for lx3 to try on... i saw great macro and scenery shots from the lx3 but i would like to take nice portraits too... that's why still pondering......

Haha as mentioned above and by many other pple. Cant have best of everything man. So yea i think i getting mine LX 3 tml!

i am sure you won't regret it... it is so much better than the rest of the pns out there...

LX3 is my first choice for point and shoot. other models to consider may be the new samsung WB500. range of 24-240mm but you sacrifice maximum aperture. canon g9/g10 are also great. but I still prefer the 24mm f2.0 of the LX3. great for landscape and street photography.

Hi all, my first post here.

LX3 is definetely a good starter camera if you are thinking of picking up photography as a hobby. It's not the most all rounder of camera(the zoom, or lack thereof) in the market but you can't go wrong with the picture quality and ease of use. My wife is completly clueless when it comes to taking photos and so during one of her recent trip to Taiwan, I passed her the LX3 and ask her to take at least 30 pictures in auto mode and tought her some basic of focusing. She didn't take 30 but...

3337348630_9b7d4d26a0.jpg

3336514603_2516a7f759.jpg

3336517441_b1ac370bb9.jpg

3336515749_0a648aaaa5.jpg

Turned out I left the 16:9 and macro mode on when I passed her the camera, still I was very surprise by what she has taken.

Proved that LX3 is very easy on beginners and I hope that it might ignites some interest in her towards photography and hopefully won't nag at me when I need to buy some more gears ;)

i'd say that feature wise the lx3 is going to be the same as all other pns ... auto modes, convenience functions, pretty easy for anyone.

but its more forgiving because:
- f2.0 lens means more light and less blur shots (handshake and subject movement)
- good noise control means even auto chooses high iso, higher chance of useable shots
- mechanical buttons for flash on/off, shoot/view mode, aspect ratio and focus modes
- additional "intelligent auto" function, that surprisingly actually works quite well

I think it sounds funny when ppl buying PnS cams wans it to be good in this...good in that...blah blah blah... pls noe tt a PnS is a cam w fixed undetachable lens unlike DSLR with compatible lens for different photography themes...If the PnS has reasonable specs den its up to you to deliver the good pics...not expect the cam to be good in doing it for you. :nono:

I think it sounds funny when ppl buying PnS cams wans it to be good in this...good in that...blah blah blah... pls noe tt a PnS is a cam w fixed undetachable lens unlike DSLR with compatible lens for different photography themes...If the PnS has reasonable specs den its up to you to deliver the good pics...not expect the cam to be good in doing it for you. :nono:

:thumbsup:

ya but same can be said about DSLR bodies and lenses too... doesn;t matter if lens is detachable or not, each lens comes with its own features, and price point.... it makes sense if you do the comparison within a relevant context.

but yes in the end its all about user needs matching to benefits that features bring. but to stretch what you're saying one can apply to buying car, house, choosing wife etc.... up to you to decide if you need whatever you see or not... so why discuss ? to each his own then...

ya but same can be said about DSLR bodies and lenses too... doesn;t matter if lens is detachable or not, each lens comes with its own features, and price point.... it makes sense if you do the comparison within a relevant context.

but yes in the end its all about user needs matching to benefits that features bring. but to stretch what you're saying one can apply to buying car, house, choosing wife etc.... up to you to decide if you need whatever you see or not... so why discuss ? to each his own then...

thanks, bro.. u just rephrased my words in a better way :think:

I am a beginner in photography with no technical knowledge at the moment.
Interested in landscape and candid shots. Intending to go over to vietnam this june therefore getting a camera. After much contemplation, advices and research more or less decided on getting LX 3.

the only thing that people might not like is the fact that it is not as intuitive to use as a normal p&s, i.e. turn on and start snapping. there are many knobs and buttons, when my friend with no technical knowledge got it, he was at a loss as to what to do, even in auto mode, because there were so many things to press.

anyways, it is a good camera, but there are many good cameras out there.

if you are sure you can live with the cons (as every camera, even d3 has them) .. then go for it. it is usually the cons that matter, not the pros. ;p

its more forgiving because:
- f2.0 lens means more light and less blur shots (handshake and subject movement)
- good noise control means even auto chooses high iso, higher chance of useable shots
- mechanical buttons for flash on/off, shoot/view mode, aspect ratio and focus modes
- additional "intelligent auto" function, that surprisingly actually works quite well

Good answer. Beginners like me need forgiving cameras :D

Status
Not open for further replies.