LV girl

Status
Not open for further replies.

noelle

Aug 7, 2007
clubsnapp.jpg

1st attempt shooting portrait…

Would appreciate comments in terms of composition, exposure or any other comments/critique to improve.

Overall, I quite like this especially the brick wall, blue sky and green grass though the shadows under the hem of the dress and the shadow on the wall (looks amputated) somewhat bothers me. Any idea what I could do next time to avoid the shadows since I don't think it can be photoshopped? Also, does the model's arms look weird or amputated?

Thanks..

to avoid shadows you need to play with flash, i suppose, i'm no expert on p&p though
you might consider putting this up in p&p, else you might just get people who like the girl's legs and look from back giving you sugar-candy-coated-oh-so-sweet comments

i don't know about composition, portrait wise i'm a total greenhorn, nor do i have much interest but one thing that struck me right away
was that the colour here is too faded and washed out, a big pity since there is a good mixture of colour if you ask me, red of the brick wall with green of the grass and the white of her dress, the blue of a sky, would benefit from good colour tweaking

also the whites on her dress, around the butt area are overexposed, blown out highlights are bad, at least here

i play with photoshop for your photo a bit, just for the colour among other things, let me know if you want it down

1438074744_103586fbb5_o.jpg

for this picture i'd go for a wider crop. i think i would frame it in landscape, crop off her legs below the knees and have more sky and more brick wall to the right.

colour does look dull, you'll need some PP work, blown the highlights, her right arm does seem amputated.

for the shadow, you can use a flash to soften it. it can be photoshopped, but it wont look as nice.

thanks night86mare & dw2chan.

both of you refer to blown out highlights, that's the glaring white bit on the bottom of the dress (esp towards the right side) i assume? any way of avoiding/eliminating it? after seeing night86mare's photoshopped pic, indeed my pic looks dull and faded.

night86mare, how do i move this to p&p? do i close this and then repost over there?

i actually like the surreal feel in this one.

i would guess you could do some work on the cropping (posting the original crop here would be nice, if this is cropped). exposure-wise it looks fine to me, but perhaps if there was another chance, you could try filling with a reflector or flash on the back to balance out the light falling on the dark and bright areas on her back/dress so as to not blow the highlights out and show more texture on that nice and frilly dress.

it may not be perfect, but it stands out for me. :)

thanks night86mare & dw2chan.

both of you refer to blown out highlights, that's the glaring white bit on the bottom of the dress (esp towards the right side) i assume? any way of avoiding/eliminating it? after seeing night86mare's photoshopped pic, indeed my pic looks dull and faded.

night86mare, how do i move this to p&p? do i close this and then repost over there?

just post there, nothing wrong with double posting in this case :)

yes, the details are gone, when you blow out
use shadows/highlights recovery tool in ps 2 to settle this

Rather a nice shot.

Some work (PS ing ) will help to improve it though.

My guess would be to add contrast (this will blow out the whites).

If you could select the white sections; then having done that, invert the selection, then adjust the contrast.....?

Don't know if this idea comes across well.... but if you have Photoshop and try it... it might make it better for you.

I very much like the photo!

Just a suggestion :)

This is very refreshing.

Would like a horizontal frame, think with more of the wall and sky. The wall probably be a good leading line. If could see part of the model's face, or where/what she is looking at, even better.

ok thanks everyone... will digest the points raised here and think about them when i'm shooting next. still getting my head around photoshop but will play around with it when i have the time.

schon, here's the original photo, i cropped a small bit on the right

DSC_8889.jpg

The whites are a bit blown but I'd suggest to bring down the saturation of the wall and give the picture a little tint globally.

===edit===

Perhaps something like this? Somehow the rich colors don't work for me...

DSC_8889_21103_26412_.JPG

Hmm i do not quite understand the composition of this picture. The title says LV girl, so i suppose the main point of this picture is to draw attention to either the LV brand / bag and associate it with the girl?

I do not quite see the link here. If you are trying to show LV's style and poshness - then associate it as such. The background serves no purpose here at all. And the girl - her dress, hairstyle, the way she walks, all are good elements for use in portrayal. But the angle at which this was photo was taken does not work well.

Perhaps im reading too much into advertising and branding. Sorry if i caused any offense :embrass:

On a photographic point of view:

The cropped version looks better.

When shooting baggy skirts/bottom; using low angle will exaggerate the effect even more - unless that was ur intention.

Good attempt at use at shadow. Walls are good for casting shadow.

Picture seems relatively sharp but i cant say for sure unless there's a bigger res version of it.

Overall i feel that there's much potential for this picture that hasnt been fully explored. Keep shooting, try various versions, angles and you are on your way to becoming a great photographer :D :thumbsup:

What is the theme? Noelle

I cant grasp the title LV girl on this one?

i think this is overly done, i feel you are pushing the line a little, in fact i prefer grantyle's desaturated version.

and the shadows are a tad bit distracting, but i like the feel and composition. no comments on cropping, except that the roof of the blding shd be out, as you did.

i like the orig pic. too much saturation is ugly.

I'd go for abit more saturation on the sky. Leave the wall as it is.

Not considering the theme, I like the shot actually. Just need to be more careful on the exposure.

i think this is overly done, i feel you are pushing the line a little, in fact i prefer grantyle's desaturated version.

and the shadows are a tad bit distracting, but i like the feel and composition. no comments on cropping, except that the roof of the blding shd be out, as you did.
ya, i know la, i also sharpened it overly

too lazy to undo though, i think the colours are really, too dull, yet too vibrant in the original version to be substantially aesthetically pleasing :dunno:

let me try it again later

here
a few versions, just for fun

1441220099_6d8e59f707_o.jpg

from l to r, urban acided, duotoned, simply slightly saturated, original

grantyale, liking your edited version.

g-khoo, thanks for your comments. i know what you mean. on hindsight, you are right that a luxury brand like lv doesn't go with the backdrop esp the grass. about baggy skirts/bottoms, you're right too. in fact, she looks like she is pear shaped (which isn't the case) - bad choice of dress and the angle i shot her from.

photo.cavendish, i didn't have a theme in mind. saw a nice brickwall and blue sky, positioned my model and started shooting. will definitely think before i shoot next time.

catchlights, Thirun Sammy, advrider, Yatlapball, thanks for comments and perspectives.

night86mare, care to share what tools on photoshop did you use to achieve the 4 pictures? i like the 1st and 3rd one from right best :)

night86mare, care to share what tools on photoshop did you use to achieve the 4 pictures? i like the 1st and 3rd one from right best :)

hoi, 1st one from right is your original la

third one is quite simple, just use normal gradient map, convert to grayscale mode then duotone mode, select duotone ink colours

less worry about er, funny colouration using shadow/highlight in duotone so i lifted the shadows quite a bit, and recovered quite a bit of the highlights

burnt her skirt a little, rather sloppily, and that was it, before upping slight contrast, +5

Status
Not open for further replies.