Lurking newbie with 7k budget - suggestion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ju4n

Feb 20, 2006
Dear all, been lurKing around on & off since 2006 and has now finally decided to take the plunge.

Neither own nor use the dslr and ain't sure what type of photography interest me. so will want to explore widest possible type of photography. After some research, i have come out with the following list of camera and lens for my budget. I will be getting everything on this list from hongkong.

So I hope the cs community/expert can help evaluate my list & provide me some advice. Tia. *price in hkd$

Nikon D7000 body $9,200
Tokina AT-X 116 PRO DX $4,600
AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II (2.9x) $16,500
Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II VC LD Aspherical [IF] (Model B005) $3,950
Tamron SP AF90mm F/2.8 Di 1:1 Macro $2,700
Tripod, Flash,Dry cabi,bag

Last edited:
well u already covered the average focal length..

from 11-200 so i think u are ready... :)

Looks like you already have a good plan in mind. :)

Since you are alright to use 3rd party lenses, you are quite free to choose any brand.
A Pentax K5 or Sony A580 may be other bodies to look at as they give the added advantage of on-camera shake reduction which all lenses will then benefit from.

Decent plan. You won't regret the tokina or nikkor 70-200 VR2 :p

I guess through these years, you have already done your homework and did planning for your lens setup. Good luck in your purchase !

that a really good body + lens selection, i wish i got the money to get those :bsmilie: enjoy ur buy, u won't go wrong with that, wish all newbie done their homework like u ;)

PS: maybe u want to add up SB800 or SB900 on the list :D

Last edited:
Bro frankly speaking even though u have e budget, my suggestion is buy slowly and really know what area interest you. No point buying the whole range of equipment and later realise you are not gonna use it. Worse 2 months down the road u realise u'r not into photography.

Dont forget batteries and cards.

And a good bag to hold them all.

:)

You know what you want... just BBB and start shooting.

PS... try not to buy everything at one go. start with the camera body and the standard zoom frist (Tam 17-50)

Last edited:
You know what you want... just BBB and start shooting.

PS... try not to buy everything at one go. start with the camera body and the standard zoom frist (Tam 17-50)
yeah, I concur :)

TS,
Not necessary to go the 'whole nine yards' at the beginning. Set aside the budget and get started slowly. Build your arsenal as you go along. With too many lenses to choose from at the beginning, it can be a bad thing as you become too equipment-focused, instead of concentrating on capturing good photos.

well u already covered the average focal length..

from 11-200 so i think u are ready... :)

I think he is missing something there...... where are the focal length from 50-70?? :p and 300?

Last edited:
yeah, I concur :)

TS,
Not necessary to go the 'whole nine yards' at the beginning. Set aside the budget and get started slowly. Build your arsenal as you go along. With too many lenses to choose from at the beginning, it can be a bad thing as you become too equipment-focused, instead of concentrating on capturing good photos.

I think this is a hk purchasing trip and this is why he is making a big one shot purchase.

So I hope the cs community/expert can help evaluate my list & provide me some advice. Tia. *price in hkd$

Nikon D7000 body $9,200
On a serious note
Maybe except for the dry cabinet. You will want to seriously consider a good tripod and flash.

Last edited:
I think this is a hk purchasing trip and this is why he is making a big one shot purchase.

If it is a BBB trip to HK, then it is not the smart thing to do...

Nikon D7000 body $9,200

Of all the things listed, if buy in HK, only the 70-200/2.8 he will get full international warranty.

The Tamron 17-50 and 90mm he can only get 1 year warranty (if he get international warranty set) while the local sets enjoy 3 years warranty.

And D7000 and Tokina 116 will not come with any international warranty.

It will be different, of course, if he actually stays in HK.

of course, to stretch the budget, and get better stuffs for tripod and whats nots,

i see some of the stuff TS can get it second hand, every little saving counts... for the next purchase...;p

Hey, a quick reply...cos now time to do some housework :)

first I want to thank everyone for the valuable comments...and just to share my initial list committed was :
D7000
14-24 f2.8
24-70 f2.8

And the deposit was paid.

And after thinking through I thought I would not know how wide is wide and the "correct" distance,size,etc with the 1.5x crop factor. So the decision to go for the cheaper lens for learning and to meet the original price.

Yup, sounds impulse to just buy everything one shot but I thought if I do not like it sell,sell, sell..:p eh..my guess is the camera and these lens should still be reasonable price at bns few months down the road. Well, I thought the depreciation is cheaper then other hobby ya :)

Yup, am aware of warranty, peer work there and come Singapore frequently so no issue.

Coolthought:you ride a carryme? I got mine recently :) btw, I thought I short of 50-105mm with the 70-200mm lens (or is it multiply 2.9x instead?)if I take crop factor into consideration? Or my understanding is wrong? :p

Last edited:
Hey, a quick reply...cos now time to do some housework :)

first I want to thank everyone for the valuable comments...and just to share my initial list committed was :
D7000
14-24 f2.8
24-70 f2.8

And the deposit was paid.

And after thinking through I thought I would not know how wide is wide and the "correct" distance,size,etc with the 1.5x crop factor. So the decision to go for the cheaper lens for learning and to meet the original price.

Yup, sounds impulse to just buy everything one shot but I thought if I do not like it sell,sell, sell..:p eh..my guess is the camera and these lens should still be reasonable price at bns few months down the road. Well, I thought the depreciation is cheaper then other hobby ya :)

Yup, am aware of warranty, peer work there and come Singapore frequently so no issue.

Coolthought:you ride a carryme? I got mine recently :) btw, I thought I short of 50-105mm with the 70-200mm lens (or is it multiply 2.9x instead?)if I take crop factor into consideration? Or my understanding is wrong? :p
Firstly, the 14-24 is not a smart buy for a D7000. You don't get enough wideness for the $ you pay.

No doubt you can sell off the unwanted lens(es) later, but you should be a bit smart when buying first. I believe in buying lenses to fit one's budget/needs/style of shooting.

And you've got your conversions wrong... Where did 2.9x come from anyway?

Thanks dd123 for the detail warranty information. Even though I know I will have warranty issue but I did not research the details. Perhaps I should get the local hongkong warranty instead for the additional years. this is good info man. How about sigma?

If it is a BBB trip to HK, then it is not the smart thing to do...

Of all the things listed, if buy in HK, only the 70-200/2.8 he will get full international warranty.

The Tamron 17-50 and 90mm he can only get 1 year warranty (if he get international warranty set) while the local sets enjoy 3 years warranty.

And D7000 and Tokina 116 will not come with any international warranty.

It will be different, of course, if he actually stays in HK.

Yup, agreed on 14-24.

Ya, i also wasn't smart to pay deposit for the initial list..haa..so now I try to make the most of the committed amount. :) thanks

Firstly, the 14-24 is not a smart buy for a D7000. You don't get enough wideness for the $ you pay.

No doubt you can sell off the unwanted lens(es) later, but you should be a bit smart when buying first. I believe in buying lenses to fit one's budget/needs/style of shooting.

And you've got your conversions wrong... Where did 2.9x come from anyway?

Yup, agreed on 14-24.

Ya, i also wasn't smart to pay deposit for the initial list..haa..so now I try to make the most of the committed amount. :) thanks
Since you have put deposit for 14-24 and 24-70, why not get D700 instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.