Lurking newbie with 7k budget - suggestion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
TS, I am curious why you need to place deposit???
I bought lens from Hong Kong before, I just need to email or call up the shop to check of they have the item(s) I want and if they have I will tell them when I will go to their shop to pick up the items.
I am not sure which shop you have committed, but I know one that sell 70-200 VR2 few hundreds cheaper than you listed.
Anyway, enjoy your trip and shopping spree. For the boxes, suggest you fold them and bring back as it is easier to sell the items off in case you regretted.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone again. Eh..intention is to clarify list leh..lol :)

Anyway, the full story short:

Was looking at d7000 and my hkg friend got to know and offer to help. He went to echo photo and help with my query. I asked him to nego best price for d7000 with context of 14-24,24-70. So there you go..it's committed & a deposit to reserve the camera.. I not that smart ya... Lol

Kwttan, the shop is echo photo and we have not nego base on this new list. Maybe cheaper from the price i list? Btw the price is from rolandlim blog. Noted, will ask my friend to bring the box over. Btw, is tripod and bag cheaper over there? Thanks.

Decent plan. You won't regret the tokina or nikkor 70-200 VR2

hopefully i will get good copies of the 3rd party lens . thanks.

I guess through these years, you have already done your homework and did planning for your lens setup. Good luck in your purchase !

thanks. all these years i have been lurking around nikon bns, nikon price list (from yapster to david and now manage by moderator chngpe01 and nightwolf, what happen to david?) and nikon equipment discussion ..

ya.. i know i know.. sound like equipment chase.. :embrass: ok, today onwards i will start learning by looking at others' good work in the galleries

that a really good body + lens selection, i wish i got the money to get those..enjoy ur buy, u won't go wrong with that, wish all newbie done their homework like u

PS: maybe u want to add up SB800 or SB900 on the list

:embrass: should have start small back in 2006..lol.. there were other priorities then.. so can only lurk in equipment discussion on and off to see what is going on, so now forward....lol.. eh, flash maybe later, looking at the nissin 622 II and the sb700 which are both not avail in singapore/hk yet i think. no budget for it also..so will wait.

Bro frankly speaking even though u have e budget, my suggestion is buy slowly and really know what area interest you. No point buying the whole range of equipment and later realise you are not gonna use it. Worse 2 months down the road u realise u'r not into photography.

understood but i guess worst case i lose a grand or 2 (by selling it off in bns) ... i think photography is both art and science.. and i neither good in both..so chances quite high that i will go "out of course" :sweatsm: but without trying i will not know... if you allow, i will like to think this as an investment into a new skill ..hey, wda and sda should add photography or photography related skill as part of the programme, best is subsidize equipment :bsmilie:

Dont forget batteries and cards.

And a good bag to hold them all.

ya...ya.. any good recommendation for the bag. most owns or are looking at domke f2. but i think a backpack suit me better.. any must look at backpack?

what is the card for?
tia

of course, to stretch the budget, and get better stuffs for tripod and whats nots,

i see some of the stuff TS can get it second hand, every little saving counts... for the next purchase...;p

thanks akerue, in fact i think all my next purchase will be from the BNS .. :D

Since you have put deposit for 14-24 and 24-70, why not get D700 instead?

hi zero, thanks for sharing. but i think d700 is too much for me :) in fact the other reason is d700 replacement will be available in the near future. by then if i still at it and financial allow, will look at that replacement ..that was my plan :devil: bbb

:embrass: should have start small back in 2006..lol.. there were other priorities then.. so can only lurk in equipment discussion on and off to see what is going on, so now forward....lol.. eh, flash maybe later, looking at the nissin 622 II and the sb700 which are both not avail in singapore/hk yet i think. no budget for it also..so will wait.

nissin 622 II is already available all over mongkok when i'm on my BBB trip last oct :bsmilie: if u wanna get nissin u better off getting it at sg, their price is only diff by S$20-30 and the sg distributor wont cover hongkong warranty(that's why i bought 430EXII instead :D)

Wish I had that kind of budget.
Lens selections pretty much covers it all, will personally go for the full-frame D700 with such selections...
Or simply forgo the accessories + some lens and get a D3 instead.

Was looking at d7000 and my hkg friend got to know and offer to help. He went to echo photo and help with my query. I asked him to nego best price for d7000 with context of 14-24,24-70. So there you go..it's committed & a deposit to reserve the camera.. I not that smart ya... Lol

Kwttan, the shop is echo photo and we have not nego base on this new list. Maybe cheaper from the price i list? Btw the price is from rolandlim blog. Noted, will ask my friend to bring the box over. Btw, is tripod and bag cheaper over there? Thanks.

Roland Lim's price list may not be the most updated.

You will be better off using this one:
http://www.price.com.hk/

it will tell you if the price quoted is for grey set or warranty set, and which store it is quoted.

I really recommend you get the D7000 body in Singapore. There are reports from many new users that their D7000 came with hot pixels which will require a trip to NSC to get them re-mapped. If your camera is from hongkong, you will not enjoy any warranty here, and will have to pay to get a re-map done. Basically, you will have to pay all labor and parts for any kind of service, unless of course, you are willing to make a trip to HK everytime a problem arises.

Last edited:
Roland Lim's price list may not be the most updated.

You will be better off using this one:
http://www.price.com.hk/

it will tell you if the price quoted is for grey set or warranty set, and which store it is quoted.

I really recommend you get the D7000 body in Singapore. There are reports from many new users that their D7000 came with hot pixels which will require a trip to NSC to get them re-mapped. If your camera is from hongkong, you will not enjoy any warranty here, and will have to pay to get a re-map done. Basically, you will have to pay all labor and parts for any kind of service, unless of course, you are willing to make a trip to HK everytime a problem arises.
Oh no.. I saw your post in d7k discussion, so how does it affect the output?

I bought from Echo before, small but reliable shop (listed in Nikon HK as authorized dealer).
You can get the bag from Man Shing/Wing Shing, price is definitely cheaper than SG.

Oh no.. I saw your post in d7k discussion, so how does it affect the output?

you see very small bright dots... white red blue or green.

But once remapped, you will not see it in lcd or pics or video.

you see very small bright dots... white red blue or green.

But once remapped, you will not see it in lcd or pics or video.

alright, i have just drop an email to my friend. hopefully he can test it out and find out more..thanks dd123.

alright, i have just drop an email to my friend. hopefully he can test it out and find out more..thanks dd123.

Personally, if I buy any equipment from HK or China, I will buy it personally. Especially for items not covered by warranty in Singapore.

But it is your call. Good luck..You will need it.

thanks akerue, in fact i think all my next purchase will be from the BNS .. :D

hi zero, thanks for sharing. but i think d700 is too much for me :) in fact the other reason is d700 replacement will be available in the near future. by then if i still at it and financial allow, will look at that replacement ..that was my plan :devil: bbb
D700 is too much for you? 14-24 and 24-70 already cost around 5K or more. Much more than d700, which is selling for far less than RRP, now that product cycle is nearing it's end. Compared with d7000, whose value will most likely fall as it gets older.

It really doesn't make financial sense to pair 2 top-end (ie SUPER EXPENSIVE) FX lenses with a DX camera, unless you've really thought this through and decided this is what you want.

D700 is too much for you? 14-24 and 24-70 already cost around 5K or more. Much more than d700, which is selling for far less than RRP, now that product cycle is nearing it's end. Compared with d7000, whose value will most likely fall as it gets older.

It really doesn't make financial sense to pair 2 top-end (ie SUPER EXPENSIVE) FX lenses with a DX camera, unless you've really thought this through and decided this is what you want.

I concur.

getting the 14-24 for the D7000 is pointless.

And if you are going to sell the 14-24... good luck. It is not an easy lens to move.

You better swap it out for something like a 70-200VR2 and top it up or something.

And hope you know about the 24-70... there are some problems with that as well...

Dear zero/dd123,

Eh.. That was initial list. Initial list. I am not looking at that 2 lens anymore. The list of lens I am looking at now is in post 1.*

What happen is:
i) 1 week ago, Hongkong friend help nego d7k best price with 14-24,24-70 lens together. Got good price but need to pay deposit as shop does not have d7k then and need to order. Paid deposit
ii) 6 days ago - i Thought about it, and decided no point getting 14-24,24-70 because it's fx lenses.
iii) 3-5 days ago - i Came out with new list based on same amount of $ initially committed so as not to make thing difficult for hongkong friend and also I will have more things to explore.
iv) 2 days ago - posted New list listed in cs for review :)

So, final list for now is post 1 :)

Last edited:
Nikon D7000 body $9,200
Tokina AT-X 116 PRO DX $4,600
AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II (2.9x) $16,500
Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II VC LD Aspherical [IF] (Model B005) $3,950
Tamron SP AF90mm F/2.8 Di 1:1 Macro $2,700
Tripod, Flash,Dry cabi,bag

If you are going to use the equipment in Singapore, I strongly suggest you do not get the D7000 in HK. No international warranty. What are you going to do if something goes wrong? Fly to HK?

Ok, already asking friend to try cancel the d7k now . Thanks.

If you are going to use the equipment in Singapore, I strongly suggest you do not get the D7000 in HK. No international warranty. What are you going to do if something goes wrong? Fly to HK?

Dear zero/dd123,

Eh.. That was initial list. Initial list. I am not looking at that 2 lens anymore. The list of lens I am looking at now is in post 1.*

What happen is:
i) 1 week ago, Hongkong friend help nego d7k best price with 14-24,24-70 lens together. Got good price but need to pay deposit as shop does not have d7k then and need to order. Paid deposit
ii) 6 days ago - i Thought about it, and decided no point getting 14-24,24-70 because it's fx lenses.
iii) 3-5 days ago - i Came out with new list based on same amount of $ initially committed so as not to make thing difficult for hongkong friend and also I will have more things to explore.
iv) 2 days ago - posted New list listed in cs for review :)

So, final list for now is post 1 :)

Do your own research before confirming anything.
Ok, already asking friend to try cancel the d7k now . Thanks.
Once deposit paid, try not to cancel, you are making yr friend difficult...

Last edited:
Hi all, thanks for all the responses and advices. My camera and lens are coming, the d7k is tested and according to friend, it looks alright. i trust him, so even if it turn out otherwise, so be it lah. :) Well, good luck to me man on the d7k hot pixels issue.

what is important now is to start learning once i get it.

Hi dd123, thanks for all the kind advices, i guess i just have to pass it back to friend who is commuting between here and hk every other month if the problem really arise. hopefully all will be fine ya. btw, saw your blog, congrats on your new born.

Do your own research before confirming anything.

Once deposit paid, try not to cancel, you are making yr friend difficult...

noted. we agreed on if only there is the d7k hot pixel problem then cancel else so be it. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.