"Luo Han" The Prized Fish

Status
Not open for further replies.

teerex

Mar 10, 2003
Singapore
Can the "Luo Han" fish be eaten, anybody ate it before?

It's a delicacy in Vietnam. This is not the "kok tau" species. Abundant in the Mekong River, but they're mostly reared and sold to restaurants.

How they eat it? Deep Fried, dip the fish meat in a tangy hot and sour sauce and wrap it in rice paper.

DSC_2248-28001.jpg

teerex said:
Can the "Luo Han" fish be eaten, anybody ate it before?

It's a delicacy in Vietnam. This is not the "kok tau" species. Abundant in the Mekong River, but they're mostly reared and sold to restaurants.

How they eat it? Deep Fried, dip the fish meat in a tangy hot and sour sauce and wrap it in rice paper.

DSC_2248-28001.jpg

This don't look like lou han but i think is Giant Gurami.

soma said:
This don't look like lou han but i think is Giant Gurami.

I'm no fish hobbyist, but was told it is.

Can any fish enthusiast verify this?

Soma is right.... It's a Giant Gourami. Anabantid family of freshwater fish.

Technically nothing is stopping u from eating a Luo Han as it's not poisonous. Just the pain to the wallet

Cheers

soma said:
Look no futher.. I am a fish enthusiast. :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Thanks soma for the verification. The fish in your link looks 100% like the one in my picture.
I've been had.:mad2: :mad2:

teerex said:
Thanks soma for the verification. The fish in your link looks 100% like the one in my picture.
I've been had.:mad2: :mad2:

But Giant Gourami is also a very expensive fish before lou han fish came. Many business man like to keep Giant Gourami too for good luck in the business.:lovegrin:

teerex, you have been told wrong. this gourami family member is native to southeast asia and rather abundant. you can get it deepfried at various Indonesian restaurants like Sanur and House of Sundanese. Very
Yellow!%20yumyum.gif

the luohan is a hybrid between members of african and central american cichlids, relatives of the tilapia, which is incidentally not native to this part of the world.

never ever release luohan into our waterways, nevermind that others have done it. they don't belong here. heck, as hybrids they don't actually belong anywhere!

yes they can be eaten, heard the thai workers do catch them to eat. contrary to popular belief, these fish are not expensive (those longkang ones without any 4D numbers on their side). FWIW its just a huge fad that has now died out. you have to beg and pay people to take away your luohan these days.

oh yes I am a fish enthusiast too. see my avatar :)

hwchoy said:
teerex, you have been told wrong. this gourami family member is native to southeast asia and rather abundant. you can get it deepfried at various Indonesian restaurants like Sanur and House of Sundanese. Very
Yellow!%20yumyum.gif

the luohan is a hybrid between members of african and central american cichlids, relatives of the tilapia, which is incidentally not native to this part of the world.

never ever release luohan into our waterways, nevermind that others have done it. they don't belong here. heck, as hybrids they don't actually belong anywhere!

yes they can be eaten, heard the thai workers do catch them to eat. contrary to popular belief, these fish are not expensive (those longkang ones without any 4D numbers on their side). FWIW its just a huge fad that has now died out. you have to beg and pay people to take away your luohan these days.

hi hwchoy,
Seem like you are expert on fishes and shrimp, any idea on planted tank with just shrimp alone will work. Thinking of starting one in the room. :thumbsup:

soma said:
hi hwchoy,
Seem like you are expert on fishes and shrimp, any idea on planted tank with just shrimp alone will work. Thinking of starting one in the room. :thumbsup:

*ahem* don'ch say "expert" leh, we all learning only :sweat:

of course it does. you won't even need to change water :thumbsup: especially those nano tanks 8"-1ft cubes.

you can join us at www.aquaticquotient.com and www.petfrd.com there are lots of discussions and info. both are local forums with aquaticquotient focusing on planted tanks and petfrd focusing on fauna.

hwchoy said:
Yellow!%20yumyum.gif

Thanks choy, very enlightening.

I'm no fish enthusiast but used to keep some variety of fishes in an aquarium. Had some Gouramis before, butthey were small ones about an inch and a half and reddish/purplish in colour. Did not look at all like the one in my picture in appearance. They killed all my guppies and aquatic plants.

Had a luo han after clearing the aquarium of Gouramis. Decided to give up the hobby after 2 years and yes I had beg someone to take it away. Had to give him the aquarium, an Etman biological filter and all the CO2 stuffs..

hwchoy said:
*ahem* don'ch say "expert" leh, we all learning only :sweat:

of course it does. you won't even need to change water :thumbsup: especially those nano tanks 8"-1ft cubes.

you can join us at www.aquaticquotient.com and www.petfrd.com there are lots of discussions and info. both are local forums with aquaticquotient focusing on planted tanks and petfrd focusing on fauna.

Bought a bigger nano tank i think 1.5 ft by 1.5 ft with co2 system + accessories for nearly 18 month liao and never even start yet. Will try to go find out more on which type of shrimp is difficult to keep.:lovegrin:

hwchoy said:
I would hardly call that a nano tank. :)

It's a NANA CUBE in silver with build in filter.

I heard dat luohan fishes, like all other freshwater fishes, have a muddy-muddy taste compared to marine fishes and if u dunno how to prepare it properly, it wun taste good.

is a giant gourami also know as FENG SHUI YU

comes in black body red fin/tail and a black mole near the start of the tail
the other version in pale , more to pinkish

jsbn said:
I heard dat luohan fishes, like all other freshwater fishes, have a muddy-muddy taste compared to marine fishes and if u dunno how to prepare it properly, it wun taste good.

That one taste good, no muddy muddy taste. Maybe it's because of the hot and sour sauce.

Thanks for the clarifications on the fish in the posted picture. So it's a giant Gourami, Feng Shui Yu :thumbsup:

teerex said:
Thanks for the clarifications on the fish in the posted picture. So it's a giant Gourami, Feng Shui Yu :thumbsup:

when researching on the Internet for freshwater fishes, especially pictures, you need to be highly sceptical. A lot of information especially pictures and range of occurence are plain wrong. Common names (e.g. Giant Gourami) are almost useless for proper identification of fish species at anything beyond a simple aqarium-level interest.

Your fish should be the Osphromenus gouramy you can see a scientific reference here http://www.fishbase.se/Summary/speciesSummary.php?ID=498

interested hobbyists are welcomed to checkout my archives which are reasonably correctly (vetted by scientists) identified http://www.hexazona.com/images/ichthys1024

Status
Not open for further replies.