Lunar Eclipse - Wed 5th May

Status
Not open for further replies.

acroamatic

Mar 13, 2004
Bishan
deadpoetscave.com
There will be a lunar eclipse (the moon in the earth's shadow) visible from Singapore early Wednesday morning, 5th May. Got the following info from singastro.org forum:
-----
The total lunar eclipse will occur after midnight on May 5th with the following Singapore local times:

Penumbral Eclipse Begins: 1:50:53AM
Partial Eclipse Begins: 2:48:20AM
Total Eclipse Begins: 3:52:07AM
Greatest Eclipse: 4:30:16AM
Total Eclipse Ends: 5:08:27AM
Partial Eclipse Ends: 6:12:15AM
Penumbral Eclipse Ends: 7:09:36AM

At time of totality, the moon will be 21 degrees above the SWW horizon. So do make sure you have a clear view for this if you are observing or imaging the eclipse. For your information, the moon will set at 6:04AM so we will only be able to see the eclipse progress until just before partial eclipse ends.

-----

If you are interested in photographing this astronomical occurence, take a look at this pdf done by the Astronomical Society of Australia. (Errr... only wish the Astronomical Society of Singapore had such info on their website.) The photography info is on page 4 and 5.

so where should we be at??? partial?? means the moon will disappear??

As the moon enters the penumbra - or what i call the secondary shadow - at 0150 hrs, the moon will still be entirely visible at almost the usual brightness.

At 0248 hrs, the moon will begin entering the umbra - or the primary shadow - so it'll appear like something is taking a progressive bite out of the moon. The part of the moon in shadow should still be visible but very faintly. This might be easier to view through a pair of binos or a telescope. Or a high-powered zoom lens. ;p That's the partial eclipse, and should provide some interesting photos.

At 0352 hrs, the moon will be entirely in the umbra. The moon should appear a copper or red colour. Another photo op here. This will be visible 'til 0508 hrs, after which the moon exits the umbra, so you get the reverse of what happened before. More of the moon is visible as usual.

Unfortunately, the moon will go below Singapore's horizon a few minutes before it exits the umbra entirely.

So, best to start taking photos before 0248... all the way 'til the moon 'sets'. Maybe take at regular intervals to combine in PS to show the different phases?

I think some of the Singapore Poly singastro.org forum people will be organising an Eclipse and Comet Outing (yah, there's a comet visible too apparently - Mother Nature decided to provide two for the price of one) but dunno whether non-SP people can join. I haven't tried calling the organiser yet.

Witness said:
so where should we be at??? partial?? means the moon will disappear??

In the end stages the moon will be quite close the horizon, so if you want to photograph it, you should be at a site with unblocked West to South West view.

The eclipse is a full one, which means that the shadow cast by the earth onto the moon should be viewable by everyone who can see the moon during that period of time.

From what I understood, Singapore is in a location where most of the eclips can be seen. When the moon comes out of the full eclips and into a partial eclipse, the sun will come up, and the moon will dissapear below the horizon.

AdamGoi said:
It coincides with SEED! :bsmilie:

Lets have an all nite long SEED under the red moon... :D

acroamatic said:
I think some of the Singapore Poly singastro.org forum people will be organising an Eclipse and Comet Outing (yah, there's a comet visible too apparently - Mother Nature decided to provide two for the price of one) but dunno whether non-SP people can join. I haven't tried calling the organiser yet.

i will be at SP :D

yongcheng: The moon will be in a south to south west direction. Any place with an unobstructed view between south to south west should be fine. This was also stated by korffr in an earlier post. High ground near the west coast should be fine.

tmc17479: Heheh... I've been saying early Wednesday morning, 5th May (i.e. "Tuesday night"). For me, morning starts at 0000 hrs, not when I wake up. ;p Thought the 24 hour clock was quite clear. Sorry if there was an ambiguity!

Status
Not open for further replies.