Lumixers who use external flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

G-man

Mar 2, 2006
My House
I am considering getting an external flash but I need to know if it can do 3 rather important things.

1. Front curtain sync
2. Rear curtain sync
3. Slow sync

If you're using an external flash, kindly tell me the type you're using(brand and model number), and if possible, how much u paid for it too. Of course if you can tell me the features of it, that's perfect.

Many thanks in advance

i think the DSLR owners can help you with this one...my external flash only can use for wireless operation for FZ5..heh. paiseh i can't help out. :embrass:

metallilan said:
i think the DSLR owners can help you with this one...my external flash only can use for wireless operation for FZ5..heh. paiseh i can't help out. :embrass:
hehehe, second you bro... remember that FZ20 ex.flash is only accomodate one point...
Btw, I use suppa cheapo Achiever 828... full manual setting... back to the dial mode... but result not too bad as long as shoot in the right aperture, distance, and angle... :)
Would like to get auto one... but still no money and no lobang also liao... :sweatsm:

G-man said:
I am considering getting an external flash but I need to know if it can do 3 rather important things.

1. Front curtain sync
2. Rear curtain sync
3. Slow sync

If you're using an external flash, kindly tell me the type you're using(brand and model number), and if possible, how much u paid for it too. Of course if you can tell me the features of it, that's perfect.

Many thanks in advance

This is not really important as per say. Not sure if you really know what they are for, and how they work. shouldn't anyhow pluck "features" out if you've no idea what they are, coz most likely you won't ever know how to use them.

All external flashes can do #1 and #3.
#2 is a body dependant feature. It doesn't matter about the flash. Panasonic bodies, AFAIK, doesn't support that feature.

metallilan said:

Hi Metallilan,

Mind to share with me how u use the flash in wireless mode? I do not aware that it can be done in FZ5. FZ 5 performance is really beyond my imagination. So handy yet very solid sia.. Just bought it for less than one week. Still got lots of things to learn from u guys. ;)

DaXiong...
keke.. it's not really wireless as per say.. it's more like optical mode.
you switch the flash to either sync 1 or sync 2..
then you just use the flash on your camera normally... when your camera flash lights up, the flash will detect it and fire too.. that's why you need sync 2, to prevent the flash from firing at the 1st flash.

unseen said:
DaXiong...
keke.. it's not really wireless as per say.. it's more like optical mode.
you switch the flash to either sync 1 or sync 2..
then you just use the flash on your camera normally... when your camera flash lights up, the flash will detect it and fire too.. that's why you need sync 2, to prevent the flash from firing at the 1st flash.

Hi Unseen,
thanks. U mean set the external flash to sync 2 or set the FZ5 to sync 2? sorry for asking stupid question. Not really familiar with FZ 5 function yet. still exploring.. :D

DaXiong said:
Hi Unseen,
thanks. U mean set the external flash to sync 2 or set the FZ5 to sync 2? sorry for asking stupid question. Not really familiar with FZ 5 function yet. still exploring.. :D

The FZ5 doesnt have much flash options except for the usual flash modes and flash exposure, which determines the total output of the flash.

the external flash, the emoblitz we're talking about here has 3 modes, one for hotshoe, and the other 2 as slave mode. slave has mode 1 and 2.

from what i tested out to sync via slave is to have shutter speed 1/60[as per default on the manual] but you can get to sync with speeds of 1/160. the faster ones quite unsucessfull ar.. :sweatsm:

unseen said:
This is not really important as per say. Not sure if you really know what they are for, and how they work. shouldn't anyhow pluck "features" out if you've no idea what they are, coz most likely you won't ever know how to use them.

All external flashes can do #1 and #3.
#2 is a body dependant feature. It doesn't matter about the flash. Panasonic bodies, AFAIK, doesn't support that feature.

No offense but I find your tone to be condescending and patronising.

What makes you think I have no idea what the 3 features are for? I am just not very familiar with digital photography as I've not touched my camera since my FM2 days and recently picked the FZ30 up so am trying to explore deeper into digital photography.

I'd appreciate a less condescending tone from you and if you're not willing to help, DON'T. But don't act all knowing and then try to run others down. We all started somewhere, ditto your good self sir.

Ok.. thanks brother. Will try it when i have chance. Thanks for your knowledge sharing. appreciate it. :)

G-man said:
No offense but I find your tone to be condescending and patronising.

What makes you think I have no idea what the 3 features are for? I am just not very familiar with digital photography as I've not touched my camera since my FM2 days and recently picked the FZ30 up so am trying to explore deeper into digital photography.

I'd appreciate a less condescending tone from you and if you're not willing to help, DON'T. But don't act all knowing and then try to run others down. We all started somewhere, ditto your good self sir.

Sorry.. Was having a bad night rushing my project, along with a couple of other problems bugging me. guess my frustration carried over. Really sorry about it.
If next time we ever meet up, drinks on me ok?
My apologies.
:) have a good day.

unseen said:
Sorry.. Was having a bad night rushing my project, along with a couple of other problems bugging me. guess my frustration carried over. Really sorry about it.
If next time we ever meet up, drinks on me ok?
My apologies.
:) have a good day.

No worries lah, I was having a lousy day myself with unreasonable clients making stupid demands on the most trivial of things. *handshake*

My apologies for flaring up as well.:)

:D :D ... Happy ending... :D :D

my external is Emoblitz Auto Digital Flash... So cant help...

unseen :thumbsup:, gman :thumbsup:
spirit of lumixer...........................kekekekeke

Me using Suntax 9000M flash with manual and zoom settings. But not sure about all those sync features.... me no expert...

Hi G-Man, Welcome to the Lumix group!

Unfortunately, the current Lumix camera, be it FZ10, FZ20 or FZ30, are all non-TTL, that means, it will not support any type of sync at all.

I know it is a disappointment news, but this is reality, hope this help. :dunno:

JimDavis said:
Hi G-Man, Welcome to the Lumix group!

Unfortunately, the current Lumix camera, be it FZ10, FZ20 or FZ30, are all non-TTL, that means, it will not support any type of sync at all.

I know it is a disappointment news, but this is reality, hope this help. :dunno:

Hi JimDavis, thanks for the welcome.

To be honest, the lack of any sync is kindda expected considering I didn't pay a DSLR price for a prosumer camera. I guess this will be a good introduction to my future DSLR purchase.

I guess I can still use the regular basic bouncing, and diffusions so that's still ok lah. In any case I am not really a keen user of flash wherever possible.

G-man said:
No worries lah, I was having a lousy day myself with unreasonable clients making stupid demands on the most trivial of things. *handshake*

My apologies for flaring up as well.:)

:) *handshake*
heh anyway by using manual mode, you can manipulate the flash to achieve 1 & 3.. :)
Panasonic body has slow sync in it. but might as well go manual..
For rear curtain, what I normally do (if long shutter, 0.5s and above) is to manually trigger the flash. Can achieve reasonably good substitute..

Oh anyway..

Slow sync simply refers to when the flash will go off, and shutter remain open for a long time. It allows you to capture more of the background, which may be not reachable by the flash.

Slow Sync is further differentiated into Front Curtain Sync and Rear Curtain Sync.
Front curtain sync = open shutter and flash immediately, then wait, then close shutter.
rear curtain sync = open shutter, wait then just before closing shutter flash.

If capturing something fast, the difference ends up for front curtain, you get sharp image, then a motion trail. For rear curtain, you get motion trail first then a solid/sharp image. Imagine a wheel turning clockwise. Imagine the difference in the photos.

Panasonic body has the slow sync function, which is essentially front curtain sync. If you switch to manual mode, open flash, and set for say 1 second.. the flash will pop when you press the shutter, and the shutter remains open for 1 second. Tada, you have both slow sync, which is the front curtain sync.

Status
Not open for further replies.