Lumix DMC-TZ3

Status
Not open for further replies.

tks

Apr 27, 2004
tohsphotos.fotopic.net
Hi

I have been using mostly Canon. PowerShot 430, S1 IS and recently S3 IS. Loved them but Canon's delay in giving me a zoom lens that starts from 28 mm is causing me to look elsewhere. In fact, I have just sold my S3 IS.

I saw the DMC-TZ3 which has 28 to 280 mm zoom lens. With movie mode etc. Looks good to me. But since I have no experience with Panasonic, I would like to ask you guys here some questions (perhaps based on the TZ1 if the TZ3 is not available yet):

(a) Is this camera available in Singapore and the estimated price?
(b) What is the picture quality? I don't need the picture quality to be top notch. Just good quality will suffice.
(c) What about the video quality at 10 fps? Does it have sound? I have very satisfied with the Canon's VGA avi movies with sound even at 15 fps. Unfortunately, I see that the TZ3 offers only 30 fps (take up too much space) or 10 fps (I am worried the movie may be jerky).
(d) What about the battery? Does it last long. Are there cheaper 3rd party batteries? I much pefer AAs but I guess I can't have everything.
(e) Is the LCD screen good? I suppose it is fixed? I can't see the LCD from the press release photos.

Thanks for all your help.

TZ1 suffers from noise and a very weak flash output, and it's not
so sharp in longer range.
If Panasonic does better in these two aspect, it would be great.
Put in some TV/AV/M modes would be better.

Overall, TZ1 is a very nice cam, considering there is no alternative.

been a Lumix user for 2years now......

a) avaliable in sg, but you would have to do your own homework, some shop sells 200 more then others
b) quility wise, if u zoom till 280mm, the picture may be grainy under low light or indoor conditions.
c) not sure
d) 3rd party is cheaper by 3times, i got mine at eastgear.... the original one is ok but drain out very fast over time
e) LCD is ok la.....

hope they ans your question

I just called MS Color, they say TZ3 arriving in mid March, so I'll wait till then. One of my target buys also.

Think the new TZs juz arrived recently, had a hands-on juz now. Cathay: TZ3-$639 + 1gb, TZ2$579 + 1gb, if i remember correctly. anyone has prices from other shops? compact design for a 10X zoom, but its no feather-weight. worth considering though (i'm thinking of getting one due to its zoom range). however, may consider TZ2 instead TZ3, as i'm not sure if i really need a 3" screen that may consume more batt than i would like.

saw the Canon TX1 too... interesting.

Where did you see the TX1 on sale? Is it already widely available? Thanks.

Should be.. saw it at South Asia, Alan and one other shop at Funan on Sunday.

Tried it but didn't like the ergonomics. Fingers had to stretch unnaturally to operate the thing. But it could be just me.

Thanks Singapore21. An early review (akihabara, I think) came to the same conclusion as you on the ergonomics. Anyway, I'd like to check it out to see if I can live with it. I understand the RRP is SGD799 but did you happen to get better quotes at those stores?

There was this store on level 5 funan (small shop) that was selling it for $724. But it had less freebies cf South Asia.

You should really try to handle, make sure u're comfortable. Else (1) finger spasm, (2) shots not steady.

Finger spasm! :eek: Shots not steady: Won't be the first time for me :( Hopefully, the vaunted optical image stabilization will help, otherwise I will have to resort to anti-shake software for video. Many thanks for your advice.

Thinking of getting this as well ... almost bought it but decided to get later cos the shop has no stock of the original pouch nor compatible ones. Argh... In terms of ergonomics, the grip found on canon A series and nikon p series is better but guess the 28mm wide lens, 10x optical zoom and clarity of the 3" LCD can offset. Cant have the best of all worlds right. This would make a good travel companion.

My friends warn me about the positioning of the lens to the far left and the tripod mount is also to the far left will thow off the balance though...

Anyone bought this cam, please post your feedback. Thanks

Thinking of getting this as well ... almost bought it but decided to get later cos the shop has no stock of the original pouch nor compatible ones. Argh... In terms of ergonomics, the grip found on canon A series and nikon p series is better but guess the 28mm wide lens, 10x optical zoom and clarity of the 3" LCD can offset. Cant have the best of all worlds right. This would make a good travel companion.

My friends warn me about the positioning of the lens to the far left and the tripod mount is also to the far left will thow off the balance though...

Anyone bought this cam, please post your feedback. Thanks
off balance? your friend must be dream that it weight as heavy as a L1? perhaps... :bsmilie:

anyway the the main reason why most tripod mount are right at the center of the lens is mainly because of the rotation of tripod head, it makes panning easier as the center of rotation is at the center of the lens and not beside the lens.

Got my TZ3 this weekend. As compared to my Fuji F31fd, ISO 400 on the TZ3 can't even compare to F31fd's ISO 800......but it is compensated by the very useful OIS. Useful to 2 stops.

off balance? your friend must be dream that it weight as heavy as a L1? perhaps... :bsmilie:

actually it's true. the TZ-3 heavy metal body, and due to tripod mount placement may cause lighter tripods to topple.
Just be a little careful.

actually it's true. the TZ-3 heavy metal body, and due to tripod mount placement may cause lighter tripods to topple.
Just be a little careful.
then i must say time to change a tripod.. even my cheapo $25 can support a d50 with kit lens that is at least 2.5x the weight of a tz3(280g according to DPreview) + a heavier front than the tz3. unless you talking about mini table tripod. :sweat:

unstable most probably, but nt to the extend of whole tripod toppling unless it really a very small and light tripod

So explorez ... what is your 2cents worth ?!

Tried Nikon P5000, G7 but prefer Lumix TZ3.

Avos, where did you get it ? what is the package like ?

my 2c? i say don mind where the tripod mount is, doesn't really matter as long as you got yourself a suitable tripod and not one that barely support a 300g camera.

$630 w 1GB card. Cathay Photo.......

$630 w 1GB card. Cathay Photo.......

hello all, newbie here...
the TZ3 caught my eye recently, and i'm quite keen on buying it. have been scouting around for best prices ... so far:

best denki (takashimaya) - $699 (with 2 x 1gb card)
ms color service (amk) - $610 (1gb card)
a shop in lucky plaza - $598.50 (1gb card)

the choice is quite clear for me. but i was told by that lucky plaza shop that i have to pay by cash if i want that price. otherwise, if i pay by nets/card, i'd have to pay 3% more (i assume gst). i've no problem with paying by cash, but i'm just wondering ...

other than the obvious "pros", any hidden "cons" with this sort of purchase?
i'm a little wary because this is a shop in lucky plaza. tell me if i'm just being paranoid?
:embrass:

Status
Not open for further replies.