Luggage recommendation needed

petetherock

Oct 9, 2006
Hi all

Bros
I used to carry a backpack with a laptop compartment, but age has crept in, and it's quite daunting carrying the laptop, it's accessories, and a few days worth of clothes.

So I am trying to convert to a wheeled option, some specs I like:

- that has a laptop section that can be quickly accessed for airport checks
- a trolley handle that's sturdy, well I want a sturdy pack
- light weight if possible
- sling / backpack option if possible
- space for 2-4 days worth of clothes and some papers

Budget under $350

Any recommendations?

What is your size requirements? I assume this is for handcarry?

There are many offerings from Samsonite, Tumi, Victronix Swiss Army, etc. Or you can walk into a luggage store and browse, see what you like. Mustatfa also have a good selection.

Bags are quite personal. So it is better for you to browse around. What works for others may not work for you.

I used to lug a full set to location, then I injured my lower back. Had to switch to a roller from Lowepro. The inner part could be removed and convert into a back-pack, the handle has a slot for speedlites. (can be a short stand).
Fits a 15" Laptop, 2 Pro body 4lens and 3 speedlites. Plenty of additional space for cards and misc stuff.
So if you carry lesser camera stuff, you'd have space to squeeze in some clothes, else have your clothes in a small rug sack. :)

Last edited:
Thanks, do you have a model no?
Looks aren't as important as lightweight and meeting the rest of the specs I wrote.
It's a single bag I am after, for the 15" MBP, documents and clothes. Maybe a small camera. Carry on..
Cheers

totally forgot the model number, gotta check when I get back home. If you're not having much camera equipment, I would say it would fit everything you've mention into it. Men would have lesser things to bring along anyway. Worst case scenario, just bring along another smaller backpack.

Lowepro rollers should be pro roller X50, X100, X200 and X300. In terms of quality, think tank will be superior and prices are similar.

Seriously these bags are padded so they are quite a bit heavier than your standard roller luggage. If you do not need to cart heavy equipment, your needs can be better served with standard roller bags.

Last edited:
Lowepro rollers should be pro roller X50, X100, X200 and X300. In terms of quality, think tank will be superior and prices are similar.

Seriously these bags are padded so they are quite a bit heavier than your standard roller luggage. If you do not need to cart heavy equipment, your needs can be better served with standard roller bags.
would agree on this, though I've no idea about the pricing as this was sponsored. personal thought would be that thinktank has been coming up with really good stuff at a more competitive pricing.

would agree on this, though I've no idea about the pricing as this was sponsored. personal thought would be that thinktank has been coming up with really good stuff at a more competitive pricing.
Mustafa has plenty of stuff, even branded. Best: you can have supper there and shop till the morning dawn :)

It's hard to be versatile and yet be "best of class" as both a trolley & backpack. I bought a ThinkTank Airport Security, thinking the backpack option will be of use. But truthfully I've used it only once since buying it 3 years ago. Cos you really don't want to be carrying 15-25kg of gear on your back :)

A good backpack is supposed to be lightweight, but adding wheels for the trolley makes it heavier than it should be (ThinkTank Airport Security is about 6kg - close to airline carry-on's 7kg limit). The wheels will be at your lower back when you use them as a backpack, thus quite uncomfortable too.

If bag is not for photography specific use, buy a normal cabin-sized luggage with a front flap and that'd be good enough. If you still prefer a wheeled-backpack, can explore bags similar to this: http://www.delsey.com/en/back-pack/...olley-backpack---pc-protection/001197651.html

if you are not holding it and placing it under your seat, a hard cover bag is preferred. The way people push their stuff into the overhead compartment, wonder what will happen to the contents.