Lucky I make the switch n bought Pentax

morganoh

Dec 24, 2002
Bishan
www.pbase.com
I use to have Canon DSLR with 4 L lens.
But discover that I'm always restrict by the environment (eg.Rain)
And so I sold most of my canon make the to Olympus E3 with SWD lens.
I was so happy that I can now take photos of my kids in Water part and without worrying about the water splashing on my camera.
But this happyiness did not last long as the new E5 was not a super upgrade. And Olympus is only concentrating on the micro 4/3 system.
And so I sold my whole Olympus Alway less than Half price (it's so cheap that it attracted "tons" of SMS n sold within Agee hrs.

And now I have Pentax K5 and Kr
With 2 weather seal lens.
I now only hope that Ricoh that bought over Pentax will be able to make Pentax flourish/big.

just read a thread from ClubSnap canon equip. There's a lot of complains about canon DSLR.
Canon 7D under very light rain . And even the $7000 1Dmk4 also fail .
And canon claim that 1Dmk4 is weather seal.

So less pray for Pentax.
Maybe new DsLR weather "Proof" body not watwr seal and lens.

wow, that is a a lot money spend.

Welcome to the family :)

Yes, Pentax made the most affordable dSLR system w/ weather resistant bodies and lenses.

just read my friend FB on last sat... 7d half of the button not working after light rain with L lens...
sit at Starbuck for an hour to dry it and it work....
then go back to rain... dead again...

i waiting for my k-x die then i can switch to k-5....

Last edited:
just read my friend FB on last sat... 7d half of the button not working after light rain with L lens...

From how i handled and used the k-x, i think this will take a long time.. haha

Wow.. Welcome aboard.. Not too sure how well others Weather Resistants works. But hope that Pentax Weather Seal works with a charm to all Pentax user..:cool:

hmm .. so u trying to bring ur K-x into the rain to switch to K5 silver..:devil:

I used K-x in rainy day outside several times, no problem,

of course, K-x and I are under a umbrella, a few rain drops are no problem.

Are the "Limited edition" line of Pentax lenses weather sealed? They are well built and expensive but I don't see the WR designation on the lenses :(

Are the "Limited edition" line of Pentax lenses weather sealed? They are well built and expensive but I don't see the WR designation on the lenses :(

nope..limited lens are not WR..lenses that are WR are those designated as * or WR

hmm .. so u trying to bring ur K-x into the rain to switch to K5 silver..:devil:

once i brought my k-x to Hort Park this January, and it rained! Though i had an umbrella, my k-x was drenched after walking from Hort Park to the Alexander Arch (myself and my bag were drenched as well). My k-x survived and still working well. It probably take more than a rain to kill it. :p

Welcome to Pentax!!

If I recall correctly my Kx has been shooting in a light rain for at least more than 10 times, till now still running strong though it's not feature with WR. Likely it will be my backup for K5 in future :)

Ya men... that is my plan...
my wife and i go redang also bring out k-x down to the sea.... water level reach hip level also go...
we also go phuket and take boat ride to James bond island + canoeing... change boats a few time... K-x still didn't spoilt....
We go Tioman island, and then take speed boat go out for snorkeling... sea water splishing... rain falling... bag all wet but that k-x still don't die...

no choice... now keep buying a few dollars toto every week and hope that can buy the K-5 silver and convent the k-x to infra........

yes, the K-X is pretty hardy, considering that its not graded as a WR body. i've been trapped in the rain with it before as well.

but the true measure of pentax's WR capabilities is the K-5.

i brought it with me for my hokkaido holiday last year. during one of the stops, it was snowing heavily. i was out in the snow with the K5 + DA*16-50. everywhere was ankle-deep in snow and i kept having to wipe melted snow off the top and back LCD screen and off the len's UV filter.

IMGP0931_crop.JPG

it worked flawlessly.

If you shoot in light rain, even a cheap entry level DSLR will be fine. If you shoot near the sea, you just keep clear of the waves, and never trust your tripod to not topple. All that said and done, I've shot with a K100D, K20D, K-r, K-5 very close to waves many times. During my last Taiwan trip my camera (and tripod) were subject to a load of sea spray (the waves in Taiwan are crazy mad, add that to the wind..) and well, my Sigma 10-20mm is still acting wonky once in a blue moon, but I attribute that to old age, and that problem surfaced before in Taipei where it was warm and dry (it's 5 years old, peeling, and absolutely abused); but everything else is working good. I won't expect less from a Pentax. :)

yes, the K-X is pretty hardy, considering that its not graded as a WR body. i've been trapped in the rain with it before as well.

but the true measure of pentax's WR capabilities is the K-5.

i brought it with me for my hokkaido holiday last year. during one of the stops, it was snowing heavily. i was out in the snow with the K5 + DA*16-50. everywhere was ankle-deep in snow and i kept having to wipe melted snow off the top and back LCD screen and off the len's UV filter.

IMGP0931_crop.JPG

it worked flawlessly.

This shot is worth more than the value of K5 body;)..Even without WR lens, K5 worked well with ordinary lens during winter snowy period.

marcus

talking about my kx.... for this 1.5 years, i went snow places, islands, mountains, caves, rain, jungle, desert, farms, rivers, fogs, sea, ...... stacked any how, placed any how, handled any how...... dropped twice, until the emjay guy can also tell it's been dropped, still A OK....

my kx, my kx, though you are far from perfect, you are near to my heart!

anybody game for this all-weather, all-rough-handling tested, drop-proof old horse?

Last edited: