LR4 with MBP 13" or 15" will be suitable

Kirei

Feb 22, 2007
www.beaniecowphotography.com
Hi All,

Seeking the advice from the folks down here. I'm looking to investing in a MBP for photo editing using LR4 mainly (Not a photoshop user). Looking at the MBP(Non retina series) 13" (Good for portability) or the 15" (Dedicated GPU).

My main question to ask the folks will be

1) Is more RAM or Dedicated GPU an important requirement for using LR4

2) If Qn 1 ans is RAM, Is the MBP 13" adequate to handle RAW files in LR4 if I push up the RAM to max 8GB?

These are my two main questions which I have in mind as its relevant to me in deciding in getting the 13" or the 15". Any other feedback from the gurus will be appreciated as I may have left out other important factors which I may not be aware of. Thanks in advance :)

Thanks & Regards
Marcus

1. More RAM.
2. Yes it is.

However, do consider what a PAIN it can be to do extended retouching on a tiny 13" screen... Especially once you have all the PS panels loaded up, you'll be cramped for screen space.

and no matter which you get, you still need to make sure the screen is calibrated.

hmm..im very curious. Why does so many people (or at least those i know n seen) are buying Apple PC/laptop to do photo editing? Any other specific reason beside its an Apple? :bsmilie:

I have the new ipad..hmm i think its pretty good for viewing photo..is this the reason why so many are buying these for their PP work?

Last edited:
GPU is irrelevant for picture work, it's all 2D stuffs. On some GPU, certain tasks of the application can be offloaded to the GPU, but it won't affect the image processing.
Get RAM (as much as possible) and at least a 22' screen (or larger). Otherwise you'll spend the money on spectacles soon.

hmm..im very curious. Why does so many people (or at least those i know n seen) are buying Apple PC/laptop to do photo editing? Any other specific reason beside its an Apple? :bsmilie:

I have the new ipad..hmm i think its pretty good for viewing photo..is this the reason why so many are buying these for their PP work?

Because they fell for the "apple is better for photo editing" hype

Hi All,

Seeking the advice from the folks down here. I'm looking to investing in a MBP for photo editing using LR4 mainly (Not a photoshop user). Looking at the MBP(Non retina series) 13" (Good for portability) or the 15" (Dedicated GPU).

My main question to ask the folks will be

1) Is more RAM or Dedicated GPU an important requirement for using LR4

2) If Qn 1 ans is RAM, Is the MBP 13" adequate to handle RAW files in LR4 if I push up the RAM to max 8GB?

These are my two main questions which I have in mind as its relevant to me in deciding in getting the 13" or the 15". Any other feedback from the gurus will be appreciated as I may have left out other important factors which I may not be aware of. Thanks in advance :)

Thanks & Regards
Marcus

If your JUST using LR4 its totally fine..... IF your using it with Powerful Plug-in like Niks effects, Imagenomics or other.... I'd get the max RAM you can !!

I use 15" Retina with 16GB RAM.

15 years of using PC..... 4 years using MAC.... W T F was I wasting my years for..... MAC IS waaaay better..... !

Was asking my friend about it few days ago. (he is a designer) n he told me..for him no choice..so everything has to be apple.. Then he advices me not to get it. (becos its the same he said..If only doing PP work) I dont intend too as well anyway..but just really curious why so many people are using it..

saw too many photography videos on youtube..and always see an apple Pc/laptop around. Thus..seriously curious..:confused::bsmilie:

15 years of using PC..... 4 years using MAC.... W T F was I wasting my years for..... MAC IS waaaay better..... !

I use both, and always wonder why anyone would torture themselves with a mac.

erm..care to elaborate why isit better in anyway? Windows on LR..Mac on LR. whats the differences?

I only know..usually..the pic will/may appear better on the Mac screen. thats all. (so if thats the case...more user buy them so when they see their and other pple pic..they will be happier?)

erm..care to elaborate why isit better in anyway? Windows on LR..Mac on LR. whats the differences?

I only know..usually..the pic will/may appear better on the Mac screen. thats all. (so if thats the case...more user buy them so when they see their and other pple pic..they will be happier?)

It only appears better if it's uncalibrated. ;-)

It only appears better if it's uncalibrated. ;-)

oh..really? hmm ok..
thanks for feedback. Think im just stick with windows.. afterall..

I use both, and always wonder why anyone would torture themselves with a mac.

The converse is true for me -- using Windows is usually accompanied by much gnashing of teeth. To each his own.

BUT once you're inside Lightroom (or most other apps for that matter), the experience is mostly the same.

And I definitely agree on the screen size. I use a 13" MB, and only crank up LightRoom or PS if I need to do something in a hurry or outside the office. Otherwise, I'm far happier using a 20" (or larger!) screen. 15" is a little small too.

Thanks for all the valuable feedback. Choosing MBP is more of a personal preference as I have a Imac for editing work. I'm looking at getting the MBP mainly when i'm on overseas trip or on the road editing purpose.

Between the 2 MacBook Pro, it is always the 13". The 15" is hardly portable at all. The only doubt I have of the 13" is that I think the built-in Intel HD4000 graphics chipset is inadequate to handle the Retina display.

Anyway, I am proficient with both Mac and Windows, and I don't see a problem either way. Besides, once you're in Photoshop (or Lightroom), the experience is pretty much the same.

Between the 2 MacBook Pro, it is always the 13". The 15" is hardly portable at all. The only doubt I have of the 13" is that I think the built-in Intel HD4000 graphics chipset is inadequate to handle the Retina display.

Anyway, I am proficient with both Mac and Windows, and I don't see a problem either way. Besides, once you're in Photoshop (or Lightroom), the experience is pretty much the same.

For basic 2d, the hd4000 is enough. Otherwise the screen would not run at native resolution at all

Rashkae said:
For basic 2d, the hd4000 is enough. Otherwise the screen would not run at native resolution at all

Ah... I see. Well, the new 13" MacBook Pro with Retina just arrived on our sunny shores a couple of weeks ago. I shall go ask the new owners of the machine how the experience is.