Loy Krathong at Mae Jo University, Chiang Mai

Status
Not open for further replies.

alvchua

Dec 16, 2007
Hi all,

I have a trip planned to Chiang Mai in Thailand, and would like the chance to take photos of the Loy Krathong festival, in particular the part where there is mass release of lit lanterns into the night sky.

Does anyone know if this is held only at Mae Jo University, or it also takes place at Chiang Mai near the river? I think the one at Mae Jo starts 24Oct2009, would anyone be able to confirm?

How do we get to Mae Jo from the inner city? Do we need a local guide or hailing a taxi is good enough?

Thanks in advance for your advice!
Alvin

I've seen them release the lanterns in mass near walking street, which is at the city center, around the old city walls.

I thought loy krathong is 1-2 Nov this year?

I thought loy krathong is 1-2 Nov this year?

That is correct. The actual Loy Krathong is always on the 15th of the lunar calendar.
I have confirmed this with native Thais and they have indicated that the three days 1-3rd Nov is the date with the massive release of 'Kong Ming' lantern, the Yi Peng festival.

However, there are other so called 'alternate' Loy Krathong being held, not at the main river side but elsewhere e.g. Lanna Meditation. These take place earlier. And although I am not sure, but the stated date of 24th Oct should be correct.

How about the festival in Bangkok? Is it the on the same date?:dunno:

ps: sorry for the OT;p

Hi Quinton,

The one where you see at the city centre, is it anything like this?
418963716_wt94N-L.jpg

alvchua,

I guess that pic was taken in MaeJo University, and the event of mass release of lanterns is on 24 oct, Chiangmai is celebrating Loy Krathong on 2nd Nov, there will be many phototaking opportunities at Thae Phae Gate.

Thanks for clarifying KopiLaiSheng!

Status
Not open for further replies.