Lower Seletar Sunrise

Status
Not open for further replies.

noelthegreat

Feb 9, 2009
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
IMG_1206-Edit-3-Edit.jpg

Everyday I pass this beautiful scenery in between my home and office. I am trying to get the best moment of it, then I wait for the clouds formation as seen on this picture. Almost everyday I brought my cam and look at the sky, and in one day I found this!! This shot was taken from inside moving MRT. Not the best picture I've ever seen, but worth to wait.

I've bring up the color and saturation on postpro. A bit of horizon alingment. And remove a spot of MRT interior reflection.

1.in what area is critique to be sought?
I like a well done landscape pictures. Some need to wait for a season to have, and this one only a week :D

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
More understanding on areas that I can not see. Especially about landscape techniques.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Taken around 7.30am. Zoomed at 11mm, with CPL on. Inside a moving MRT.
1/500 speed at f/2.8. ISO 100.
Personally I was excited to have this shot since I've wait a week to see these kind of clouds.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
This picture somewhat can have more on composition. (although it was hard to compose from a moving train ;) )

It is better to alight from MRT and take a proper shot with tripod, since u already waited for so long, or just make a trip there when u r not working. :) I feel that u can be more gentle with the saturation.

Last edited:
I think...

add canvas texture, then treat it like a painting.

Abit overwhelming le, the colours..

Are you trying to achieve some painting-like effect? If yes, I would like to ask where have you seen paintings painted in such a way before.
Basically I couldnt figure out what that photo is, or what you're trying to show. Your post processing killed your shot.

Why not post up another version of it but be light on the post processing?

Hi,

Since you waited so long for the nice cloud formation... why do you PP until we cant really tell how nice the clouds are?

Maybe, you can upload one photo with less PP, let it be more natural? Now is like watercolour...

Waiting to see the nice photo of yours... :D

this is scary.

much too contrasted, much too saturated. i will not comment further because as a result of what has been mentioned, i do not know what is going on.

i second the proposal to post a shot that is natural, and then you can take comments again. my thoughts is that you are trying to present colours in your vision/interpretation of a beautiful landscape?

Too Saturated... Cannot see much details after you PP. furthermore, the foreground totally gone leaving only streams of colours.

Perhaps you might want to show a raw (unedited) copy of this photo?

It's unnatural. Too much contrast and saturation.

Being a art student, I really like this pic. Looks more like a poster/acrylic painting. Really artsty!

I know where this is. The reservoir at khatib there.

Sometimes, I do see beautiful sunrise from the MRT.
However, I think if he were to alight and take again, the elevation would have been different and may not have the same effect of the rays.

I mean though the colours are too strong, I can imagine how this picture would look before photoshop.

btw, the reservoir's quite far from the MRT.

for art students:

link

Hi night86mare, I cant see ur link... Anywhere else we could view it? I would really wish to see the pics... And btw... Im a great fan of ur werks... Seriously!
Cheers!! :)

IMHO, slightly over saturated, and too dark (underexpose) to enjoy the scene.

I know where this is. The reservoir at khatib there.

Sometimes, I do see beautiful sunrise from the MRT.
However, I think if he were to alight and take again, the elevation would have been different and may not have the same effect of the rays.

I mean though the colours are too strong, I can imagine how this picture would look before photoshop.

btw, the reservoir's quite far from the MRT.

I knew this place too, travelled there more than 5 times, but went home empty-handed more than half. I guess to get good photographs, u must put in the same level of effort. To take a photograph on a moving lorry or MRT as compared with making a trip there, the differences, will definitely be rewarding. :)

Hi night86mare, I cant see ur link... Anywhere else we could view it? I would really wish to see the pics... And btw... Im a great fan of ur werks... Seriously!
Cheers!! :)

OT: Are u an art student too? :bsmilie: , Just kidding. I enjoyed the thread too but pics are not viewable now. :(

Very honest and straight up brutal,

Over-processed. Over-saturated, Over-contrasted.

The only thing that's Under, is the exposure.

Take a few tips from landscape experts. I know a guy on deviantart who shoots brilliant and natural landscapes without use of hdr, or over-processing.

have a look at http://morbidthegrim.deviantart.com

-

Apart from the brutal beating of your piece, I do have to offer advice or i'd be trolling!

So, i really advice to look into composing well, picturing what you want to see in your head and then taking time to come back to the same exact spot to wait for that moment. That's the task of the landscape photographer. Something that I personally don't have much patience for.

Bear in mind that as jtsky mentioned, a tripod would be rad. Perhaps get a gradient filter to knock down the exposure of the sky so you can bring out the landscape without overexposing the skyline.

Also remember, that when it comes to PP, sometimes (and most of the time) less is more. Keeping it minimal and simply giving everyone a view of what you saw exactly can reap huge benefits especially in the journalistic field.

I knew this place too, travelled there more than 5 times, but went home empty-handed more than half. I guess to get good photographs, u must put in the same level of effort. To take a photograph on a moving lorry or MRT as compared with making a trip there, the differences, will definitely be rewarding. :)

OT: Are u an art student too? :bsmilie: , Just kidding. I enjoyed the thread too but pics are not viewable now. :(

Hi bro jtsky... Haha im nt an art student... But I do admire some of them for their creativeness and originality... Something I guess I do lack somehow... :bsmilie:

this is not a very good example, i took a look eagerly and while he claims to not have used hdr, the amount of "pushing" done to his image, he might as well do it.

for example, here, that sky is looking positively watercolored, probably due to aggressive highlight recovery.

here, the composition is fabulous, but processing, stray light everywhere. maybe he used layering, but the fact that backlit rocks can glow randomly is not "natural".

here are some superb landscape photographers:

david clapp
marc adamus
lee frost
adam burton

don't think any of them hdr. :)

hmmm. that's true. i just remembered he does use a bit of hdr, though a good few aren't..

good pointing out of the other brilliant ones though.

landscape is so not my field.

Status
Not open for further replies.