Lower Pierce Reservoir (i think)

Shizuma

Mar 19, 2012
1. in what area is critique to be sought?
Image quality and sharpness

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
A relaxing view of a lesser-seen part of Singapore

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
It was a very hot day. I lost my way en route to Mandai from Upper Thomson Road. (accidentally turned for Old Thomson Road)
I had drunk a lot of water and was urgently seeking a washroom when i chanced upon the reservoir park. (my physical need was so great i am still not sure if it was Upper or Lower Pierce Reservoir written on the sign outside)

After my toilet break I noticed a great view and fortunately my DSLR (canon 500D w EF 28-105) was on hand. Regrettably I did not have my tripod with me.

Due to the hot weather of 6pm the light was more than sufficient and shooting at F8 handheld was easily executed.

I noticed this interesting structure (pump building? not sure, if anyone can identify that would be great) and decided to include it in my photos. But at 28mm the structure was too small and I shot at 105mm instead (!) Sempais and seniors please advice if shooting tele for landscape is a foolish thing. :p

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
It's okay (can use as Facebook cover image?) but I think it could be much much better, experienced seniors and pros please many many teach, I am willing to listen!

humble cat Shizuma

599057_10200339517397985_14269605_n.jpg

Hi I'm also on the learning journey just offering my 2 cents...

I think image quality and sharpness are ok.
However I think the weather is not helping you hehe... it's quite cloudy, and lighting looks flat... so don't think it brings out the 'relaxing' side much. Probably conveyed your 'very hot day' more.

And I don't think there's a rule saying you must use wide angle for landscape shots. It depends on what you're trying to achieve with the perspective compression. Eg could have used tele to shoot cityscapes to emphasize how dense the buildings are built

Thanks for sharing :)

nothing wrong with using long focal length to shoot landscape, I use 200mm to shoot landscape a lot.
but do bear in mind that the scene will be compressed, so you need to know if it is getting the effect you want.

the sky is not dramatic, so there is noting to emphasise by give too much space here.

due to the back lit, so the photo is a little hazy, if you really like this scene, can come back in the early morning to see if the lighting is better.

and the horizon is slightly tilted, but consider very good if you are shooting with hand held, it can be fix easily during the post.

hope this help

as others have already mentioned...would like to see more details in the sky and water, and a greater sense of light. exposure is always going to be tricky with this wide dynamic range, so you could experiment with HDR or re-shooting at other times of the day.
8523445491_bed8e0c236_b.jpg

as others have already mentioned...would like to see more details in the sky and water, and a greater sense of light. exposure is always going to be tricky with this wide dynamic range, so you could experiment with HDR or re-shooting at other times of the day.
8523445491_bed8e0c236_b.jpg

woahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
please wait a while until i stop falling off my chair. that is amazing stuff. thanks for showing the true potential!

8527517260_18b31a9c18_o.jpg

Heres what I had in mind. I used a slight more narrow crop than 16:9.

This is Upper Pierce reservoir if I guessed correctly.

Last edited: