Lowepro Waterproof bag + Silica Gel = dry box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lovesg

Nov 26, 2008
Yishun Singapore
Dear friends,

I have been reading up a lot on Silica Gel, Dry Box, Dry Cabinet from the forum.
Among those postings, these 3 gives me good references:
(1) http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169132&highlight=dry+cabinet&page=6
(2) http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=491143&highlight=dry+cabinet&page=2
(3) http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191362&highlight=dry+cabinet

However, as my room is very small, and the humidity is (I presumed) pretty high and I do not have air-con in my room. I do store my small camera bag into my cupboard and took out to play around every week.

Now, I am very interested to get a Lowepro waterproof bag, Rezo 190 AW, and a rechargable silica gel (maybe 2 packs), to store my canon 40D (newly bought) + 28-135mm lens + 18-55mm lens + speedlite 580EX II + powershot A710IS and a battery grip. Will this arrangement keep them safe from fungus infection?

Thank you for all who have viewed and attempt to assist me in this consideration.
:)

quick answer: unless you control the silica gel regularly - NO
waterproof not equal humidity proof.
But if you combo that with ziploc bag (jumbo size) may be ...

The AW is not waterproof. It simply has a weather-resistant cover to protect from rain. But the humidity in the air will have no problems at all seeping in. So you better have enough silica gel to dehumidify your whole room.

either get a dry cabinet, or a dry box.

Just buy a dry cab and stop overthinking it. DB036 is what, $108? That's peanuts compared to most camera gear.

From the number of equipment you have, they should fit nicely into a 30L electronic dry cabinet. It's rather cheap to run - it's like 5 watts / hour, a few dollars a month to run. :)

On 2nd thought. No offense, but that idea is like placing your camera under an umbrella with silica gel, and asking if that will stop fungus.

sorry to intrude but on the topic of dry box/cab, is it really a must in singapore?
i have a friend who just dump his camera in a cupboard (for the past 2 years). no fungus, no nothing.

the thing is that it depends, like if he turns on his aircon and stuff so this room is drier than normal etc etc. but why risk fungal growth? For the amount you spent on your gear, you might as well topup a bit more to keep them in the best condition possible. If budget's a concern, why not just buy a 2nd hand cabinet from the BnS section? if not get just a cheap dry box, with a hydometer, cost around $40.

the thing is that it depends, like if he turns on his aircon and stuff so this room is drier than normal etc etc. but why risk fungal growth? For the amount you spent on your gear, you might as well topup a bit more to keep them in the best condition possible. If budget's a concern, why not just buy a 2nd hand cabinet from the BnS section? if not get just a cheap dry box, with a hydometer, cost around $40.

before switching over to dslr, i have never heard of the need of putting cameras in dry cabs. none of my compact cameras ever had fungus problems.

it's really not an issue about budget, like you said, comparing the amount spent on gear, what is the price of a dry cab?

Dear kaikibbler, I saw ya avatar in some threads too ~ you seem like an active member =p

And on the waterproof bag, I got it wrong. It is not Rezo but Dryzone 100 (http://products.lowepro.com/product/DryZone-100,1934,18.htm)

The reason for this combination, and not a dry cabin is that, my room is really compact (too many stuff & I share room with others too). On certain period of the year, I have the tendency to have my camera with me most of the time. So I thought it will be good if the dry cabin can be "portable".

Well, aryanto, will it really works if I coupled Rezo in a big Ziploc bag with 1 pack of silica gel inside of the ziploc bag and 1 inside the Rezo bag? (I have a couple leftover from my army equipment, new).

Edited: One more concern, it seems like some members in other dry cabin threads are facing weird problem. I have never operate a dry cabin before. I am not sure of hygrometer - my EOS friends use EiTHER a tupperware (by the way, where can I get a big tupperware 40cm long and longer) + a digital hygrometer + a silica gel pack OR they don't bother. In fact, 1 of my school senior who uses a EOS 88 never been bothered by fungus and such. And it is still in good condition. Sigh.... I didn't know DSLR has so many nitty gritty.

Last edited:
Dear kaikibbler, I saw ya avatar in some threads too ~ you seem like an active member =p
...:dunno:?...

Note that a dryzone is 2~3 times as exp as a dry cab. Add to that:

-questionable effectiveness
-difficulty in maintaining proper rH (which means not too high AND not too low)
-need to monitor and recycle silica gel

Well, you need to look at cost/benefit for yourself. I've tried tupperware + silica gel before and it's just not worthwhile for me.

The problem with silica gel is that if you notice the change of colour you will not be sure when it changed colour. It could be last week, last month, last ... you get where I am going? Sooner or later you will forget to monitor. I use hippo and ziploc only when I travel and only to avoid or cure condensation when moving from warm indoor to cold outdoor. Permanent solution: drybox.
As for people who never put in drybox and do not have fungus - well those are the lucky one. Do you want to bet with your $$$ lense? Go ahead. :)

Never in Singapore Army before so no idea what is Rezo. I just put my video cam in 1 jumbo ziploc, my dslr in another, and one each for lense that I have (some might share ziploc bag if they are small enough).

Last edited:
my solutions (if you are money conscience- for watever reason).

diy dry-box
things to buy
1x big container than can be close - dun need 100% airtight.( can easily buy in ntuc ard $10 at the most)
1x slicia gel - get from home fix diy , it can be reuse cost abt $15
1x humidity monitior - cost abt $15, runs on battery.

total cost = 10+15+15 = $40.
my container ard 30-45L. I manage to keep humidity in the range of 50-60%. normal humidity in SG can go up to 80% on normal days. if u ks want it to be less humid throw 2 packets of gel in.

Do you maths,

once all your camera gears have fungus, how many it cost to have all of them clear? not to mention about the psychological trauma you will have.

get a dry box, best is dry cabinet, before it is too late.

Fungus is in everyone's home but lesser formed in open air circulation and light. Therefore it is just matter of time a long stationary camera/lens gets it as dust settle and environment is warm yet not dry (not necessary high humid).

Electric dry box is definitely the long term run as one don't need to worry of silica gel expired. But if buying one is difficult bec you don't want to let your familiy member knows how you spend your money on those cameras :bsmilie:, then get a giant plastic container, 1 bottles of silica gel, 1-2 packet of thirsty hippo (packet form).

FYI, the liquid form in the those thirsty hippo are not just water, they include the dissolved white granules so a spill can be hard to clean. So if you use the container form, ensure no spill. The packet form prevents spills but ensure it is not pressed against.

if you use your gear everyday then maybe you don't need a dry cabinet

find out what conditions promotes fungus growth

Get a dry box. Evan a home made unit it better than leaving all your stuff in a camera bag. You may have less risk of fungus if you leave you lenses on a table top with a 20W old fashion lamp shining on it.(but that would cost more than running a dry box.)

Just a bit of side track, Should we put our camera body, batteries, memory chip and etc into the dry box as well?

Just a bit of side track, Should we put our camera body, batteries, memory chip and etc into the dry box as well?

Are those items susceptible to humidity? Find your answer ;)

Are those items susceptible to humidity? Find your answer ;)

donno :dunno:..seriously.

Back in film days, it is not advisable to put the body into a dry box as it might dry out the lubricant. But the current dSLRs, they are loaded with electronics and also glass in front of the sensor.

Batteries..maybe not..but I have seen my rechargeable GPs rusting..so will placing them in a dry box help?

Memory chips..this I really do not know. They are not really sealed, are they? If they are not, will those exposed "gold" (or copper) contact deteriorate in the high humidity of the tropics?

some item don't have to leave it inside the dry cabinet, you can leave it in your camera bag, or just keep it inside a plastic storage box to keep away the dust.

Status
Not open for further replies.