picky

Nov 25, 2004
Hi CS members,
I has been using my lowepro bag since 2004 that's why looks
dirty and want to wash. but ....

Can I use hand wash with soap or dry wash ? Dunno whether can
make the sponge 'melt' ? :think:

Need your advice...

i've too got a seldom used Lowe-Pro Compact AW bag...

may i suggest using wet tissue instead of soap- however mild.
den u dun hav to wipe d soap aft getting rid of d dirt?... :bigeyes:

being 'kiasu' i got a rain cover to keep dirt of it cos its left in d open.
i mite as well call it a dirt cover now. hahaa.... :bsmilie:

Thanks bro ... ;)
hope other members can share their opinion ..

are we talking about the inserts or the bag itself?

the bag itself being is made of canvas and synthetics, and can be washed like other havasacks. dumped mine into the washing machine and came out very much alright. i guess it also makes sense that being water resistant it was designed to get wet.

about the inserts, i only hand washed those because i noticed there aren't additional stitchings across to ensure the fillings inside doesnt move (like a quilt). no problems mantaining the shape hand-washed as well. :)

u're well come erm. picky?..

erm Candy, mind explaining:"being water resistant it was designed to get wet"? mean?... :sweat:

i tot ~ being water resistant meant not to get wet, hence 'resist'.

anyway how long would my Lowe-pro Compact AW need to b hung out under de bright sun to 'bake' ler?

sorry. to clarify, what i meant was that the material is designed to withstand water, hence doesnt loose its shape (unlike paper, know wat i mean?)

it will eventually get wet. its only water resistant, not water proof. even the water-proof extra cover is actually water resistant only...haha.

i guess it depends very much how humid the day is? i don't really know how long, usually one day is more than enough for it to dry.

quote:- sorry. to clarify, what i meant was that the material is designed to withstand water, hence doesnt loose its shape (unlike paper, know wat i mean?)

dun confuse me lei, wad does water resistant ~ have anything to do w/ de ability to maintain its shape?... :dunno:

keke, we're all here to share our collective experience & opinionz.
so let's take it that ppl can apply any of our sugggestions to c which method works for them?

i may if my bag is smaller, oso de rain cover over my bag is to keep dust from settling on it at home wen not in use- similiar to motorbikes! :bsmilie: :sweat:

picky wants to know if the bag can be washed rite? answer is yes, i have done it at 3 times this year, and numerous times before.

im not your dictionary here to help u understand the difference between the known meanings between water resistant, and water proof.

thank you very much.

i would wash it..... no point brushing it as it will just look clean..... a good wash will get rid of dirt and dust..... stuff that you want away from your lens and (dslr) ccd

candy said:
picky wants to know if the bag can be washed rite? answer is yes, i have done it at 3 times this year, and numerous times before.

im not your dictionary here to help u understand the difference between the known meanings between water resistant, and water proof.

thank you very much.

Hi Candy,
Do appreciate that you want to share.
Dumped yours into washing m/c. Did you soak before washing ?
Did soap powder spoil the spouge of your bag ?

My bag too big to fit inside the washing machine, so hand washed.
Water, detergent, hands. settled. takes 1 day to dry.

picky said:
Hi Candy,
Do appreciate that you want to share.
Dumped yours into washing m/c. Did you soak before washing ?
Did soap powder spoil the spouge of your bag ?

no ah never soak. just dump straight in. i do not put the sponge inserts inside the washing machine, i hand wash those. not cos of the detergent, but because i'm worried it might loose its shape.

don't fret just dump your bag in! haha i know the bag isn't cheap and was apprehensive myself. but i've been washing my hiking bags this way since forever - and those bags collect a lot more grim than camera bags. :)

hey hey hey...
hiking bags are way better to be washed hosed down...not only do u save water but its waaay more thorough!!! all the dried sand and grit and mud!! inside the little seams and nooks and crannies...its really better to wash with hose and hang upside down to dry...same with ur lowepro...

waterproof stuff have either nylon inner linings, or are nylon or synthetics themselves..or they are pretty dense, like 1000D or more..better outdoor gear have extremely micro layers of synthetic wax or something melted and bonded onto the external layer..its best to handwash and take care of them..and u can buy waterproof sprays for them too..i dont use them but iv seen Timberland sell those small green bottles of squirtsquirt type bottle, for waterproof care.. :rolleyes:

i personally feel w m is too rough... :sweat:

i personally prefer to keep my stuff well maintained. i hav nv gone shooting on a rainy day.

i would like to keep my cam bag in a vacuum pac if could... :bsmilie:

sorry to hav offended any1 here, cos like i said we're all here to learn from each other & share ideas etc... :sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.