My dilemma with the 17-40 is multi-fold :-

I am travelling for 2 weeks from this weekend so pointless to keep thread open

Thread is only 48hours old and many buyers only visit over weekend

I am not a stickler for my price but offers ought to be within reasonable range

If one compares all the Posts for this lens in last 7 days you will see a range
From $ 520 to $ 788. The Lens posted at $ 520 is 5years older and without
Box and Pouch. The Lens at $ 788 is one year older

So when you consider all factors I really ought to withdraw for now and
See what it fetches in say a month from now.

Off course it's in perfect condition and fully useable as a decent substitute to
EF 11-24 on a rainy day or in harsh conditions when it maybe prudent to
Keep the 11-24 , which cannot take filters, in the dry cab

My attitude to camera gears has always been to buy the best that I can use
and afford .. So if ultimately it all gets to Zero Value in 10 years that's still
Fine ... Miuch cheaper write-off than Buying A Car ..

7 days may be too short to gauge,i think 3 months is good.
Iam not very familiar with this lens resale value,but based on your 7 days data,I guess it might be nobody needs it at the moment. if you are not in a hurry to sell,just leave the thread open and wait for the right buyer.

Seriously I hardly or never see any photography equipments resale value will goes up over time.

Exactly. It never did unless it is a super rare item, even then it will get kicked out, like the Nikon 28 f1.4 D series, was a sought after gem for a few years, until when the 24 1.4G came out, the value dives straight down into the drain, even further down when the 28 1.8G came out.

Electronics and tech goods NEVER fail to depreciate. Speed of money back always trump dollars and cents, because your $1 then is not your $1 now.

Right now in BNS, you see someone selling D700 "Urgent Sale" but list the bloodly camera at $1300. Market price for used D700 is $800 to $1000 max. He will never sell above $1000 unless he meets a super dumbwit. Not this weekend, not the next month, never. In fact, in another few months, the value of that camera will go further down to $700 to $900 max. It is just natural.

Last edited:
Is it too difficult , or expensive, to require all Buyers to be Registered members who need to
Log-In before they can access Buy/Sell Forums ?

Would it be an intrusion of privacy rights , if Sellers and Buyers only communicated via
PMs in the first instance ? So all Posts do not indicate contact numbers

In the process, we can move to a closed-door community only open for participation by
and among members

Members then exclusively can decide how they wish to deal with Lowballers and
Highballers within the Photo Community

It's easy to bash down ideas but how about some contructive suggestions on dealing
With this menacing problem .. Every Seller here has had this unsavoury experience.

Or are we going to look the other way and let lowballers have their way ?

Lowballers can be entertaining at times. Let you have some fun with succinct remarks. Why get upset with them. When you shop for a camera/lens, you're doing the same thing going from one shop to another. Learn something from the salesperson when you "lowball" him/her :):):)

Just as lowballers irked me. sellers who put See Inside under Price and then on reading, you get, Pls Offer or a price that is near a new unit price also left me feel I have wasted my time.

Can somebody suggest how I might politely reply to 3 bidders for my
Canon 17-40 f/4 just posted for Sale yesterday at only $580.

Mind you my Lens Code is UB and I am first Owner since March 2013

Brand New sells for $ 920 after Canon Cash Back

3 bidders are attempting to buy at $ 350. $ 400 and $ 420

Help !!

Reply them with map to Marina Barrage... There can fly kite.

Extract from a current WTS post

Equipment Model: Olympus M.ZUIKO ED 12-50mm f/3.5-6.3 EZ Micro 4/3 Lens (Black)
Price (S$): 450
Description:
Used it many times before but got bored of it as I find not much use with it when everyone elses photos are better.

Condition of Item: 10
Warranty Status: None

Additional Comments:
No receipt or warranty.

TS if you are the "mod" dealing with this, what are you going to do...
"Hi, Why high ball! You price is 2-3X that of the Market"...
... or any other possible action from you?

And so if someone offer her $180, is that lowball?

If I'm really looking for the lens, I'd SMS them: "Hi there, I would like to offer $180 for the lens based on the last few transaction prices recorded on CS."

You can see the difference between that and "$180, fast deal today."

Electronics and tech goods NEVER fail to depreciate. Speed of money back always trump dollars and cents, because your $1 then is not your $1 now.

Wow, that's a fast conclusion.

If the Yen or USD to SGD exchange rate explodes tomorrow, yes, your lens price can appreciate after the retailers make their adjustments. Never say never.

Is it too difficult , or expensive, to require all Buyers to be Registered members who need to
Log-In before they can access Buy/Sell Forums ?

Would it be an intrusion of privacy rights , if Sellers and Buyers only communicated via
PMs in the first instance ? So all Posts do not indicate contact numbers

In the process, we can move to a closed-door community only open for participation by
and among members

Members then exclusively can decide how they wish to deal with Lowballers and
Highballers within the Photo Community

It's easy to bash down ideas but how about some contructive suggestions on dealing
With this menacing problem .. Every Seller here has had this unsavoury experience.

Or are we going to look the other way and let lowballers have their way ?

It is about choice. As a seller you can list your number, you can list your email, or you can require potential buyers to send you a PM. It is the seller's perogative.

Sure we can force buyers to register an account to see BnS section, but does that solve any problems? Many will just register an account just to buy. If a buyer have intention to lowball or cheat, they will register with fake information. So what problem does that solve?

It is about choice. As a seller you can list your number, you can list your email, or you can require potential buyers to send you a PM. It is the seller's perogative. Sure we can force buyers to register an account to see BnS section, but does that solve any problems? Many will just register an account just to buy. If a buyer have intention to lowball or cheat, they will register with fake information. So what problem does that solve?

I agree! No matter what you do, as long as internet. We can only hope on each integrity. So that we can grow as a reliable human being! :D

Wow, that's a fast conclusion.

If the Yen or USD to SGD exchange rate explodes tomorrow, yes, your lens price can appreciate after the retailers make their adjustments. Never say never.

IF

The big word is IF. Did it explode today? Yesterday? Tomorrow? When?

And WHEN it does, what are you going to buy or sell? Camera gear?

IF, anyone have that ability to know, he should be making big money on the Forex market. Not arguing over a few hundred dollars different on a hobby forum.

IF The big word is IF. Did it explode today? Yesterday? Tomorrow? When? And WHEN it does, what are you going to buy or sell? Camera gear? IF, anyone have that ability to know, he should be making big money on the Forex market. Not arguing over a few hundred dollars different on a hobby forum.

Can it? If it can, "never" does not apply. Are you arguing for the sake of argument?

One good example is Canon in Nov 2012.

http://www.cameraegg.org/canon-dslr-and-lens-price-increase-coming-november-1sttomorrow/

http://www.1kindphotography.com/2012/11/canon-enforces-minimum-advertised.html?m=1

Nikon..

http://nikonrumors.com/2009/02/24/i-dont-get-it-nikon-to-increase-prices-in-japan.aspx/

More recently.

http://nikonrumors.com/2015/07/06/did-nikon-increase-the-price-of-lenses-in-the-us.aspx/

Doesn't even need explanation at times. ;)

Like I said, never say never. I know a few friends who gained money on their used gear because of such surges. FYIP JasonB..

Unless you purposely buy gear to keep and wait for them to escalate in price (if ever) and then sell, it is not going to make sense because I buy a gear to use and enjoy, if price goes up.... it goes up without me selling it coz I need it or want to have it. By the time I want to or need to unload it, will price goes up or down? Not sometime I can control. Like bro Jason said, if you think you can make money timing exchange rates to sell camera second hand to clubsnappers, why not play the foreign exchange market and be a rich investor? Truth is you can't, nobody can. When I need to sell a gear, I need to sell, regardless its current market price up or down, either I need the money now or I need the space.

Kinda lost track as to where this thread is at now.

Low Ballers :angry:
1. Price offered by sellers is too high.
2. Feel offended by replies from unhappy sellers.

Honest Sellers :bsmilie:
1. Item I am selling is mine, I sell at a price I am happy with.
2. Offended by offers that are substantially lower than the asking price, feel compelled to reply accordingly.

Anything else to add? I could just make some minor changes to a boy-chase-girl scenario, think the answer to this low-balling question might become obvious.

Kinda lost track as to where this thread is at now.

Low Ballers :angry:
1. Price offered by sellers is too high.
2. Feel offended by replies from unhappy sellers.

Honest Sellers :bsmilie:
1. Item I am selling is mine, I sell at a price I am happy with.
2. Offended by offers that are substantially lower than the asking price, feel compelled to reply accordingly.

Anything else to add? I could just make some minor changes to a boy-chase-girl scenario, think the answer to this low-balling question might become obvious.

Now we are back on track. There are ballers from both ends of the spectrum. Both are f-ked up.

Unless you purposely buy gear to keep and wait for them to escalate in price (if ever) and then sell, it is not going to make sense because I buy a gear to use and enjoy, if price goes up.... it goes up without me selling it coz I need it or want to have it. By the time I want to or need to unload it, will price goes up or down? Not sometime I can control. Like bro Jason said, if you think you can make money timing exchange rates to sell camera second hand to clubsnappers, why not play the foreign exchange market and be a rich investor? Truth is you can't, nobody can. When I need to sell a gear, I need to sell, regardless its current market price up or down, either I need the money now or I need the space.

I don't even mean to say that you should wait until the gear price goes up. I firmly believe in treating BNP versus second hand price difference as a form of "renting" the camera before passing it on to the next owner. But JasonB said very clearly, and I quote in its full context:

Exactly. It never did (appreciate in value) unless it is a super rare item, even then it will get kicked out, like the Nikon 28 f1.4 D series, was a sought after gem for a few years, until when the 24 1.4G came out, the value dives straight down into the drain, even further down when the 28 1.8G came out.

If you still don't get my point that there are circumstances beyond rarity where electronic goods' second hand prices can actually move upwards, then I rest my case. I choose not to live in a one-dimension world where the only variant characteristic of second hand photography equipment prices is their age.

I don't even mean to say that you should wait until the gear price goes up. I firmly believe in treating BNP versus second hand price difference as a form of "renting" the camera before passing it on to the next owner. But JasonB said very clearly, and I quote in its full context:

If you still don't get my point that there are circumstances beyond rarity where electronic goods' second hand prices can actually move upwards, then I rest my case. I choose not to live in a one-dimension world where the only variant characteristic of second hand photography equipment prices is their age.

Now we side tracked again.

Status
Not open for further replies.