low speed shutter

Status
Not open for further replies.

RAGE77

Apr 3, 2009
north side
hey dudes, juz now mornin went to lower seletar to shoot sunrise,,,im using a slow shutter speed and Tv mode shutter priority mode (canon 40d) coz wanted to archive bluring affect but end up the whole pics become white and very damn bright need help on this.shutter speed using 1sec with tripod...need some tips...

what did u wanted to blur? if u must, then use ND filters to reduce the amt of light hitting the sensor.

i wanted to blur the water at the lake to make it a misty smokey kind of effect...learn tat on you tube..

Up the F or lower the ISO, else use a ND, if after darkening, the sky still see as very bright, U need a GND

i wanted to blur the water at the lake to make it a misty smokey kind of effect...learn tat on you tube..

you need an nd filter, since the light is too bright.

as a rule of thumb, when the light is lower, you can try to not use filters and stop down:

1) make sure your iso is as low as possible
2) make sure your aperture is as small as possible
3) then make sure the exposure is right

there is no worry about small apertures degrading your image, nd filters will also do the same thing.

nd filter = neutral density filter, since you have been watching on youtube, you can easily do a search on google or youtube for more information on this.

nd filters come in different strengths, from the less extreme 1 or 2 stops ones to as much as 10 stops, like the nd110 from b+w that i use.

hey dude saw the pics u taken at punggol and labrador park tats cool man...tat smokey misty water kind of thing,,,

hey dude saw the pics u taken at punggol and labrador park tats cool man...tat smokey misty water kind of thing,,,

those were taken by stopping down + low iso, i.e. a result of the circumstances due to low light, after the sun had gone down.

something like this is taken in very low light, after the sun has gone down:

2757109224_f7fce9148f.jpg

you might want to start with a nd8 filter, and wait for lower light, you can also get such effects, something like 10-20 minutes after sunset is best. thereafter is goign to be too low, and you don't need the nd filter already.

alternatively, if you like to shoot during the day, the hoya nd400 or b+w nd110 will give you 8 stops and 10 stops respectively, but they are not easy to use; introducing color shifts (intensification of color sometimes) and interesting vignettings.. from experience, this has also something to do with angle to water, etc. i tend to convert pictures shot with those filters to black and white or duotones. some examples:

3049203345_3a4e54dc02.jpg

3400991519_b6d517258e.jpg

you shouldn't limit yourself to water either, antyhing involving MOTION can be exploited to give interesting effects if you visualise it, from clouds:

3356122527_bbd6f2b2fe.jpg

(these are cloud trails)

to moving grass:

3384597125_9cf7f6d22e.jpg

hope this helps.

hey dudes, juz now mornin went to lower seletar to shoot sunrise,,,im using a slow shutter speed and Tv mode shutter priority mode (canon 40d) coz wanted to archive bluring affect but end up the whole pics become white and very damn bright need help on this.shutter speed using 1sec with tripod...need some tips...

I don't know about others, but i usually use Aperture Priority (AV) when blurring.
set to smallest iso, and smallest aperture with tripod. and sometimes i use the neutral density filter like what everyone else has mentioned.

those were taken by stopping down + low iso, i.e. a result of the circumstances due to low light, after the sun had gone down.

3049203345_3a4e54dc02.jpg

3400991519_b6d517258e.jpg

3356122527_bbd6f2b2fe.jpg

(these are cloud trails)

to moving grass:

3384597125_9cf7f6d22e.jpg

hope this helps.

awesome pictures!

thx people for the tips later i try again this evening at sunset...

whts a ND and GND bro?

Ps for the lag, and thanks goaty for helping me reply :D, Btw if you are going multi filter, the cokin system is easy to use and performs well. You can get the alternative for cokin call tianya at good price from eugenep;) ,except for my CPL and UV, the rest of my filters all cokin system.

Ps for the lag, and thanks goaty for helping me reply :D, Btw if you are going multi filter, the cokin system is easy to use and performs well. You can get the alternative for cokin call tianya at good price from eugenep;) ,except for my CPL and UV, the rest of my filters all cokin system.

faintttttttttttttt

Landscape photographer, night86mare = WTG (What The Goat)

I don't know about others, but i usually use Aperture Priority (AV) when blurring.
set to smallest iso, and smallest aperture with tripod.

If you want your pics to be sharp, don't stop down smaller than f/16.

Status
Not open for further replies.