Low Range DSLR Vs. High End Prosumer

Status
Not open for further replies.

rebbot

Mar 24, 2005
Hi guys,

just thought of advancing to DSLR maybe low range one like the D70 or 300D/350D for a try but not really sure what to expect...since I have been using AIOs most of the time...dun think I will be getting additional lenses maybe one with better zoom and wide angle~

Any comments or suggestions? :)

wow... quite hard to get one that has wide angle and good zoom, but i believe the D70 kit lens covers quite a good range though.

whats ur budget like? both D70 or 300D/350D are good buys, its more or less which one u think suits ur needs. :)

given low end dslr vs high end prosumer, i go for high end prosumer cos the image quality is quite good liaoz and also simple and easy and more compact.

if u really want dslr then eventually should really go for high end thats where it really behave like what a slr should be (handling, ergonomics, af speed, customisability, etc).

but of course everyone have to start somewhere so if u want low end dslr then d70kit or 350d kit will do just nice

hahaha arcanic bro i meant i would maybe get a lens with better zoom and another one with wide angle :)

my budget maybe around $1000 - $1200 thinking of transiting only not confirmed yet :embrass:

thanks user for your comments :)

I was comparing the D70, 350D and 300D and frankly speaking image quality wise I dun see much of a difference and the canons seems to have less noise

rebbot said:
thanks user for your comments :)

I was comparing the D70, 350D and 300D and frankly speaking image quality wise I dun see much of a difference and the canons seems to have less noise

agree.

so its more or less a toss coin situation ;) but should also consider if your friends use nikon or canon then synchronise with their choice easier to borrow/lend to help one another :cool:

I think the DSLR's sensor would beat a prosumer P&S just due to the fact that its sensor is physically larger than the prosumer one. If you want to further expand into photography next time the DSLR's ability to change lens will definitely help you explore other areas of photography and remember, with the prosumer camera you are stuck with one lens only. :)

Regards,
Nick

rebbot said:
hahaha arcanic bro i meant i would maybe get a lens with better zoom and another one with wide angle :)

my budget maybe around $1000 - $1200 thinking of transiting only not confirmed yet :embrass:

With your present budget, get used 300D with kit lens + 420ex. Have more $ in future then add better lens.

bigmouse said:
With your present budget, get used 300D with kit lens + 420ex. Have more $ in future then add better lens.

agreed, check the b&s forum, think a lot pp selling their 300D/D70 sets lately... :) get a 2nd hand, u still can save some $$ for future lenses.

nickmak said:
I think the DSLR's sensor would beat a prosumer P&S just due to the fact that its sensor is physically larger than the prosumer one. If you want to further expand into photography next time the DSLR's ability to change lens will definitely help you explore other areas of photography and remember, with the prosumer camera you are stuck with one lens only. :)

Regards,
Nick

yeah precisely less nosier pics at higher ISO hence more usable :)

just one question, is it diffcult to change lenses for the camera? Also if I were to only use one lens initially is it neccessary to remove the lens for storage or could I leave it on all the time? Last but not least, does it require regular cleaning? :)

No need to compare. The lousiest DSLR will still win a prosumer DC flat. Hands down. :)

yup, in terms of focussing speed, low noise at high ISO settings, flexibility and general handling.

i think that u must be pretty serious abt photography to be considering a prosumer. so trust me, i think u will get irritated with the limitations in terms of noise at higer ISO,lack of range,focussing speed etc.

with ur budget. just go straight for a DSLR. the D70 with kit is pretty sufficient for both the wide and zoom ends. that shd set u back maybe $1300?

wainism said:
i think that u must be pretty serious abt photography to be considering a prosumer. so trust me, i think u will get irritated with the limitations in terms of noise at higer ISO,lack of range,focussing speed etc.

with ur budget. just go straight for a DSLR. the D70 with kit is pretty sufficient for both the wide and zoom ends. that shd set u back maybe $1300?

yeah I travel quite a bit for business and leisure. I was using a ixus v3 earlier and was really frustrated with the limitation, hence I went on to the Sony f717 but then I was still not satisfied mainly being pictures above iso400 not usable. :angry:

But I wonder if the hassles of a DSLR is worth it?

If you are referring to features and performance, even the entry-level DSLR will beat the highest end prosumer hands down; faster auto-focus, lower noise, larger sensor etc..

what hassles are you refering to? a tiny 350D with kit lens is just about the size of your 717..

rebbot said:
yeah I travel quite a bit for business and leisure. I was using a ixus v3 earlier and was really frustrated with the limitation, hence I went on to the Sony f717 but then I was still not satisfied mainly being pictures above iso400 not usable. :angry:

But I wonder if the hassles of a DSLR is worth it?

i think it really depends on the bags ur willing to carry when u go travelling for biz or leisure. if ur biz trips dun allow u to carry a back pack and maybe just a pouch. maybe a compact is gd enuff

but for all things else...DSLR is :thumbsup:

If I were you, I would buy a 2nd D70 which is in good condition. Learn from there and expand your interest later with more expensive bodies if your budget permits.

wainism said:
i think it really depends on the bags ur willing to carry when u go travelling for biz or leisure. if ur biz trips dun allow u to carry a back pack and maybe just a pouch. maybe a compact is gd enuff

but for all things else...DSLR is :thumbsup:

I think TENBA has a bag that looks a little like a brief case. It can hold a DSLR and lenses + office documents and stationary. Well designed and low profile for overseas business travels.

Status
Not open for further replies.