Low Light, Fast Movement=Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEWZEE

Jul 19, 2009
Auckland, New Zealand
Hi All,

Im a rookie to photography...i have a dance event coming up that i am assisting with, i am just looking to gain more skill in this area, i will be out and about lens shopping soon, just wondering which are the best lenses for this kind of situation, i am aware that a telephoto lense would be better but which one?? I have done event photography before but my lack of skill and knowledge resulted in images that had alot of motion blurr and the quality of the photos were terrible. How can i reduce the noise?? Are there any other things i should consider buying to make my shooting better?

If i can just set the scene...The dance competition event is in a big indoor stadium, the only lighting are the stage lights above and on the stage, it is a fast paced show, so there is really no room for error. Flash is allowed but would that make a difference? I have a 430EX.
Thank You.:D

NEWZEE said:
Hi All,

Im a rookie to photography...i have a dance event coming up that i am assisting with, i am just looking to gain more skill in this area, i will be out and about lens shopping soon, just wondering which are the best lenses for this kind of situation, i am aware that a telephoto lense would be better but which one?? I have done event photography before but my lack of skill and knowledge resulted in images that had alot of motion blurr and the quality of the photos were terrible. How can i reduce the noise?? Are there any other things i should consider buying to make my shooting better?

Ok I try to answer your question in 2 parts, coz you're asking 2 questions basically.
Q1: It would be hard to identify which telephoto lens, because:
a) I don't know what camera you have. [I know it's a Canon, but no idea crop sensor or full frame]
b) I don't know what kind of distance you will be away from the performers.
c) I don't know how "tight" you want the picture to be.
I guess even if I knew a) and b) it would be hard for me to visualize unless i'm actually on-site to try it out.

NEWZEE said:
If i can just set the scene...The dance competition event is in a big indoor stadium, the only lighting are the stage lights above and on the stage, it is a fast paced show, so there is really no room for error. Flash is allowed but would that make a difference? I have a 430EX.

Your flash has a power rating (guide number). If the distance of your subject is too far, your 430EX won't be able to illuminate it.
My guess is a fast zoom (i.e. with constant f/2.8) or even a faster prime (f/1.8, f/1.4, etc) might do the trick, but if the lighting is insufficient, no 'magical' lens can help.

Hi All,

best thing to do is look out for events happening in town and practice with your camera. Or depending when and where the event is being held can look for event photographers like me to help out. Just see what we do and learn.

What camera are you using, i.e. how far can you push the ISO? What is your budget for the lens? How far are you from the action?

Hi there,

I have a Canon 40D, ISO 1600, with the standard lens that comes with it, i usually hire but now want to buy, budget is flexible i have saved up $5,000 to buy new equipment but could push for more. I am wanting shots that are close up (for facial expressions), mid shots (for positions) and long shots of the whole stage (to capture atmosphere and different formations). This is a secondary schools hip hop dance comp...what settings would u suggest??
Thank You.

If you wish for the flexibilty of a zoom with a large aperature, the 70-200 f2.8 IS is probably as good as it gets.

Pair it with a 5D MKI and its a very good low light combination, for you to still stay bellow your budget, i think one of the two have to be bought 2nd hand.

It depends on your budget for lens and your camera setup.
If there is sufficient stage light with proper color casting, I would not use flash at all. Using flash will spoil the background lighting. Without flash, you still have nice stagelight.

The only issue is your lens and your ISO. Are you willing to sacrifice noise/details for high ISO in exchange for natural stage light and higher shutter speed to freeze motion blur. For me, using 5D Mark II, i will bump up ISO to 3200 or 6400. Using lens with wide aperture.

Status
Not open for further replies.