low-light condition: 7D or D300s

keatx

Nov 26, 2009
Hi all,

Between the 2 dslr, which performs better in low-light condition?
Given that both are using similar lens.

How about the difference between the 2 dslr's AF?

Thanks.

Hi all,

Thanks.
your question is something that should be asked to a professional camera review website, not a predominantly hobbyist forum like Clubsnap.
As Rashkae pointed out, the comparison has been done by DPReview, which is like.... one of the most popular camera/lens review sites, and is pretty much the first site that people go to for answers to such questions...

Oh ok.
thanks for the link.

I didn't stumble upon that page cos i have been looking at the specs of the dslr which is normally listed on the first few pages.

Oh ok.
thanks for the link.

I didn't stumble upon that page cos i have been looking at the specs of the dslr which is normally listed on the first few pages.

I usually skip the first few pages. :p

If you're buying a totally new camera, do consider the D700 and D3.

Oh ok.
thanks for the link.

In simple terms, both bodies are cropped frame, they're not well in handling low light. Full frame can handle better in low light since bigger sensor.

Remember to consider the lenses as well.

If you're talking about which camera can handle better its ISO (see ISO test review), probably is a better question than asking which camera can handle low light. Since low light photography is dependent on your lens' aperture. How much you let light into the camera sensor, is the key through your lens. Cropped bodies is limited in this aspect.

You may read on this review. It's short and simple, cover your AF question as well.

In simple terms, both bodies are cropped frame, they're not well in handling low light. Full frame can handle better in low light since bigger sensor.

hmmm...

You should take a look at digital cameras just 4-5 years back. Crop sensor cameras high ISO noise is already considered very good already nowadays... compare to a few years back...

They are just not as good a FF sensors of the same generation. Doesn't mean they are not good la.

Aiyoh. That's the problem nowadays, the industry makes it better and better, and ended up just making the users demand more and more... :bsmilie:

hmmm...

You should take a look at digital cameras just 4-5 years back. Crop sensor cameras high ISO noise is already considered very good already nowadays... compare to a few years back...

They are just not as good a FF sensors of the same generation. Doesn't mean they are not good la.

Aiyoh. That's the problem nowadays, the industry makes it better and better, and ended up just making the users demand more and more... :bsmilie:

Agree.

but after seeing D3 ISO performance, I'll :eek:
:bsmilie:

Hi all,

Thanks.

given the difference is marginal for both, i would choose d300s.

Do people really choose one camera over the other, simply because the noise level at ISO 6400 is lower than the competitor by some marginal amount?
wow... eye-opener...

To me, the choice between 7D and D300s would boil down to many many factors, not just high ISO performance.

Do people really choose one camera over the other, simply because the noise level at ISO 6400 is lower than the competitor by some marginal amount?
wow... eye-opener...

To me, the choice between 7D and D300s would boil down to many many factors, not just high ISO performance.

That's the problem nwadays bro, they cant see the big picture..

Alot other misc factors should be taken into consideration when choosing systems..

u need to factor in cost, lens range, accessories availability, ergonomics, external lighting capabilities etc etc...

TS, i m nt saying Canon is not good in anyway.. but advise u shud do the same.. see everything as a whole..

7D beats D300s hands down in terms of megapixels, iso performance, Full hd video, to list a few.

But to me, at the end of the day, i still opt for Nikon becos of ergonomics, AF performance, CLS, lens range (esp UWA/Macro) ... But tat said.. is still an individual choice..

So... Some food for thoughts eh?

Cheers

Bryan

That's the problem nwadays bro, they cant see the big picture..

Alot other misc factors should be taken into consideration when choosing systems..

u need to factor in cost, lens range, accessories availability, ergonomics, external lighting capabilities etc etc...

TS, i m nt saying Canon is not good in anyway.. but advise u shud do the same.. see everything as a whole..

7D beats D300s hands down in terms of megapixels, iso performance, Full hd video, to list a few.

But to me, at the end of the day, i still opt for Nikon becos of ergonomics, AF performance, CLS, lens range (esp UWA/Macro) ... But tat said.. is still an individual choice..

So... Some food for thoughts eh?

Cheers

Bryan

+1 :thumbsup:

And may I add, the 7D only beat the D300s very slightly in high ISO performance.

In the end everyone will choose different systems due to different needs.

But to choose between 2 cameras just solely by pixel peeping, that is quite :thumbsd: IMHO.

If low light and AF is your concern, get the D700 or D3s.

If Low light, resolution and movie is your concern, 5D mkII.

If $$ is your concern, 2nd hand 5D.

7D and D300s IQ are not made for low light. For Af, both have fantastic AF modules for good and bad light.
I know. I own a 7D.

Last edited:
If low light and AF is your concern, get the D700 or D3s.

If Low light, resolution and movie is your concern, 5D mkII.

If $$ is your concern, 2nd hand 5D.

7D and D300s IQ are not made for low light. For Af, both have fantastic AF modules for good and bad light.
I know. I own a 7D.

Again, let me repost what I wrote a couple of posts up. Question is: how many casual users really really need that super low noise high ISO performance in their shooting? I know some serious pros and some serious hobbyists do need it after hitting the wall in the stuff they want to do in crop sensors. But TS should re-evaluate his/her needs and priorities.

hmmm...

Last edited:
Again, let me repost what I wrote a couple of posts up.

I agree.

But if TS's concern is about low light shooting, he shouldn't even consider a crop sensor camera as, even though the IQ has improved from last time, a FF sensor is still the best for low light photography.

I felt that TS should know that the best camera for low light photography, is a FF one, thus his comparison of 7D and D300s for low light is really pointless.

I guess now a days, its not a matter of how many people needing super low noise, but how many people want and can afford to get super low noise in their photos. If TS has the means, then he should know what is the best he can buy with his $.

Last edited:
I agree.

But if TS's concern is about low light shooting, he shouldn't even consider a crop sensor camera as, even though the IQ has improved from last time, a FF sensor is still the best for low light photography.

I felt that TS should know that the best camera for low light photography, is a FF one, thus his comparison of 7D and D300s for low light is really pointless.

I guess now a days, its not a matter of how many people needing super low noise, but how many people want and can afford to get super low noise in their photos. If TS has the means, then he should know what is the best he can buy with his $.

Ya. But have to admit, wanting and needing is 2 different things.

Nowadays, I have seen too many super clean noise free, terrible pictures...