Low Key Portrait in B&W

Status
Not open for further replies.

materoppuppets

May 14, 2006
138109-large-Camille074BW_web.jpg

The picture was taken on a studio. Seeking comments and criticism.

What I am trying to convey here? I am not sure. What I knew is that I saw a rare expression from her and I have to take that shot. A sense of mystery I guess or she is about to smile and suddenly hold it right there. Taken in a studio with one modeling light. Flash was intentionally not triggered to get that low key shot and shadows.

i know its a low key, but i would like to see a bit more highlights in her lips, eys and chains.
crop away the bottom 1/4 or 1/3. it does not do much for the photo... just darkness

i think is a nice pic. esp if it's printed in postcard form.

i only have 2 suggestions.

1. is to cast a little more light into the left side of the face, jsut a little too dark now.
2. crop away the right side and bottom of the pic. too much black.

i like the idea, nice. esp for a jewellery or model portfolio shot.

Low-key does not necessarily mean total darkness (at least to me, but maybe my understanding is limited in this area)

A properly placed reflector to the right of the model to brighten up the shadows just that wee bit would make this shot nicer.

Just my 2 cents...

This is quite a strong classical composition that gives a soothing feel for the eyes to follow thru. The highlights emerge out of the shadows and create a very dynamic play of shades which allows the whole attention to falls on the face. The exposure is good with the dark shadowed background adding a strong impact.

But I am just wondering if you had wanted the right eye to be less visible. Perhaps a wee bit more trace of the eye might had enhanced the image even more. I would also like a bit more space for her to be look into.

Overall, a subtle image that keeps me wanting to come back for a second look.

This is quite a strong classical composition that gives a soothing feel for the eyes to follow thru. The highlights emerge out of the shadows and create a very dynamic play of shades which allows the whole attention to falls on the face. The exposure is good with the dark shadowed background adding a strong impact.

But I am just wondering if you had wanted the right eye to be less visible. Perhaps a wee bit more trace of the eye might had enhanced the image even more. I would also like a bit more space for her to be look into.

Overall, a subtle image that keeps me wanting to come back for a second look.

Thank you and yes I wanted the right eye to be less visible to make the picture more calm and have a sense of mystery (I myself keep coming back to this picture because of the overall mood and intensity of the photo)

Low-key does not necessarily mean total darkness (at least to me, but maybe my understanding is limited in this area)

A properly placed reflector to the right of the model to brighten up the shadows just that wee bit would make this shot nicer.

Just my 2 cents...

Thanks. I will consider on the next opportunity. It is fun shooting low key shots. At least this is what I discovered.

Thanks you tribal.snake. I tried cropping the bottom but it will spoil the overall ratio of the picture so I just keep it as it is.

low key not = to underexposure
low key not = lack of details due to exposure problems
low key not = to lack of contrast

The picture is underexposed, lacks details and boringly flat ....

low key not = to underexposure
low key not = lack of details due to exposure problems
low key not = to lack of contrast

The picture is underexposed, lacks details and boringly flat ....

although these are valid technical points made, i also think the photo has potential to be a good low-key photo, it needs more post-processing work to increase the contrast and to bring out the details more. the composition is visually engaging.

e.g.
78419643.jpg

although these are valid technical points made, i also think the photo has potential to be a good low-key photo, it needs more post-processing work to increase the contrast and to bring out the details more. the composition is visually engaging.

e.g.
78419643.jpg

Agreed to a certain extend. To save this picture, you need major surgery. It ought to be thought thru before the shutter was pressed. This was a studio shot. TS had full control of all the lights, and should have made all the adjustments necessary to capture a compelling image.

You version is significalt superior than the one posted by the TS. However, it would have be very difficult for me to comment on potential. With someone who had master DI, many lousy picture can be saved. However, saving picture is not the point here.

Agreed to a certain extend. To save this picture, you need major surgery. It ought to be thought thru before the shutter was pressed. This was a studio shot. TS had full control of all the lights, and should have made all the adjustments necessary to capture a compelling image.

You version is significalt superior than the one posted by the TS. However, it would have be very difficult for me to comment on potential. With someone who had master DI, many lousy picture can be saved. However, saving picture is not the point here.

TS = ???
DI = ????

Status
Not open for further replies.