Low End Professionals Shoot In Digital ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiama

May 26, 2002
.SG
met a local stock photographer recently and this is what he said: "low end professionals shoots in digital, high end professionals shoot in film"

what u think of that? :rolleyes:

well... he might be forced to eat his own words in a few years' time.

actually nowadays lots of pros shoot digital as well.

no need to wait a few years. if he's a stock photographer, then he's behind times. it's the high-end pros who shoot digital, not with the prosumer cams but with the top-range DSLRs and digital backs. it makes more economic sense that way.

what he says will make me a "high-end professional".

what nonsense! doesn't the recording media really matter? digital photography just makes life easier for the press. that guy will eat his own words one day.

About 30 minutes after the UEFA Cup final, i was browsing the web and stumbled upon a site (gettyimages) selling photographs for commercial use. I was shocked to see the photographs of the match already uploaded for sale.

Don't think it's possible for film to be that fast eh? :thumbsup:

Originally posted by kiama
met a local stock photographer recently and this is what he said: "low end professionals shoots in digital, high end professionals shoot in film"

Depends. If he's using medium or large format there would probably be a big difference in quality.

Otherwise its the whole CD vs LP snobbism again. I imagine it was the same when they changed negatives from glass to plastic.

[fake frenchie accent]
"Ptui! Ziss plastique will nevair match ze qualitie of glass!"
[/fake frenchie accent]

Originally posted by MoriMori
[fake frenchie accent]
"Ptui! Ziss plastique will nevair match ze qualitie of glass!"
[/fake frenchie accent] [/B]

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

that sounds like German though :angel:

As good as a graphical designer saying "True graphic designer uses MAC and graphic designer wannabe uses PCs" ..... a whole lot of bullshit ;).

It's the skill that counts not the machine ;)

he's entitled to his own views, but he needs to have the open heart to embrace digital technology - learn, or else fade :D

I think he's most probably taking a swipe at all the amateurs who own digital SLRs? :dunno:

Sometimes you have to take what a person says in context rather than just a stand alone line you know...

More of the "I don't know it so I condemn it" type of people, who looks backwards and thinks that the past is better than the future.

As Larry had said, almost no one in the stock photography or sports use film anymore. Many in the advertising industry is moving over to digital. I recently attended a (free) seminar and the guest speaker is Geoff Ang, a young Singaporean photographer who did the the lifestyle shots for HSBC, poster for Duty Free shopping in KLIA, was in last month's LookBook cover (with 20-page spread inside), and has recently did a ad for Mercedes Bentz.

What does he use? A medium-format camera with a Phase One digital back. Ask the "local stock photographer" when was the last time he photographed Kimi Räikkönen in his racing suit with a Merc? :rolleyes:

this stock photographer i mentioned was an ex-ST photojournalist, now has his own stock photo company somewhere at far east square. and interestingly, he was also a TV host with his own series of food programs about 1-2 years ago aired over channel i. now u guys got a hint who im mentioning ;)

this stock photographer i mentioned was an ex-ST photojournalist, now has his own stock photo company somewhere at far east square. and interestingly, he was also a TV host with his own series of food programs about 1-2 years ago aired over channel i. now u guys got a hint who im mentioning ;)
that joker?!?!? chey i thought who... pleasseee... no one takes him that seriously. besides, he's contradicting himself. he was lugging a D1x all over his food program during the later episodes. wadda loada crock. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.