low contrast shots

Status
Not open for further replies.

shioks76

Jan 20, 2005
sengkang
Will shooting on a cloudy day produce low contrast shots? I was trying to take shots of the clarke quay area yesterday afternoon, ther light wasn't very good (cloudy) and the pics came out flat. Is there anything i can do to improve the pic?

a9a.jpg

I guess you use auto-metering, and the camera meter for the sky, hence the photo is a bit under exposed.
Afternoon light is a bit dull because the sun is on top of everything. If you want more dramatic light, then try to shoot in early morning (6am-9am) or later afternoon (5pm-7pm), the sun would be lower and there would be more shadow to play with.

shioks76 said:
Will shooting on a cloudy day produce low contrast shots? I was trying to take shots of the clarke quay area yesterday afternoon, ther light wasn't very good (cloudy) and the pics came out flat. Is there anything i can do to improve the pic?

Can you post a bigger version of that pic?

I think that the metering has taken into account the big sky in your composition and metered for the sky instead of the buildings. Anyway even if you metered for the buildings then the sky will be blown. So take again when there is better light.

heres the larger pic
38d.jpg

Do u think itll help if i buy a gradient nd filter?

You should understand lighting and exposure, then practise more on shooting in different time of the day, before buying the gradient filter.
Currently the Singapore weather is mostly sunny, but a bit hazy and misty, sun rise at abt 6:30am, and sun set at aby 7pm.

shioks76 said:

A Neutral Density filter will just give you the same dull low contrast image. A ND filter does not enhance colours or increase constrast. You might find that a polariser might help to take some of the reflective glare off surface to give you better colours but even then..that is very slight.

I have a simple way of dealing with it these days. Sunny Day..my camera follows me out. Overcast and cloudy days..it stays at home heh. Oh..okay sometime it still does follow me out but then I will alway shoot "low" meaning I will capture less sky scene. Overcast and non sunny days are definitely not the best time to take outdoor shots. Fill in flash might help abit but that is only for subject within the flash's range and can only do so much.

If you are not familiar with shooting under difference ( and sometime diffucult) lighting situation then I would reenforce what Astin said...go out and shoot under all conditions. It will teach you to better "read" the weather so that you shot better shots and not waste time doing it on days when it is best to leave the camera at home. :)

I think thats the beauty of shooting sunset or the deep blue sunset sky, there is only a timing, once you miss it you have to wait for another day.

shioks76 said:
heres the larger pic
38d.jpg

let there be light!
cq.jpg

no... u dun actually need a ND filter.. u need to choose the right time to shoot.
& u will need some photoshop skill....

*sorry i did not ask ur permission to alter ur pic* hope u dun mind. :embrass:

Astin said:
You should understand lighting and exposure, then practise more on shooting in different time of the day, before buying the gradient filter.
Currently the Singapore weather is mostly sunny, but a bit hazy and misty, sun rise at abt 6:30am, and sun set at aby 7pm.

Take a look at this chart for sunrise and sunset of Singapore
http://app.nea.gov.sg/cms/htdocs/article.asp?pid=2268

I dont know why but i kinda like the original picture.
How bout pening(pen tool) out the buildings and do some levelings on it while leaving the sky as it is, somehow got the dooms days effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.