Love.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lagure

Oct 28, 2007
IMG_8530.jpg

my first post! was trying to capture the feeling of love, hence the warm and rich colours.

would like to get comments on whether is my exposure good cuz i find it difficult to judge wat is the correct exposure for my pictures. any bros can help on this?

CnC very much appreciated!

EXIF info:

Camera Model Name
Canon EOS 350D DIGITAL
Tv(Shutter Speed)
1/6Sec.
Av(Aperture Value)
F3.5
ISO Speed
Focal Length
18.0 mm

shutter speed is too slow. can see visible handshake.

try upping the ISO to maybe 400 or even 800.
general guide, u shd use a shutter speed of at least 1/focal length (ie. at 18mm, shoot at 1/18 or faster) if handheld.

hey fragnatic. thanks for the comment! im wondering the general rule of shutter speed being 1/focal length, do i use 1/18 in this case or 1/28.8 due to the 1.6 crop factor?

also, for IS, i can afford to drop down to 3 or 4 stops down rite from 1/18 rite?

Use shutter speed of at least 1/18. The crop factor will not influence how steady you can hold your camera, right? But this is just a general rule. How steady one can hold a camera varies from person to person and I have also found that the camera itself does have an impact too (how dampened the mirror flap is, etc). For a start, try taking photos at 1/focal length and adjust this according to how your photos turn out.

For your camera, you can go until ISO 800. Sometimes, if no choice, you can even go until ISO 1600. The trick is, if your exposure is correct, you will not have so much noise. A correct exposure at ISO 1600 with noise reduction can give very acceptable photos. So yeahh... the important thing is to get exposure correct and your pictures sharp (i.e. correct shutter speed to give no handshake). :)

yep, wuffruff is right. 1/focal length is just a general rule. 1/18s still holds @ 18mm regardless of crop factor.
with IS, depending on the IS mechanism, some can compensate 2 to 3 or even 4 stops.

how slow can u go also depends or how steady ur hands are, plus ur holding, standing, breathing techniques.

enough of the technicalities. now for the image itself.
for most of the time, the main subject has to be sharp, since that's going to attract the attention of the viewer.

i find the background rather distracting, esp the bright background (corridor on the right). and the subject seems dark (underexposed).

maybe u can use the tele end of ur lens? using the tele end, it gives a narrower field of view, then the corridor wont be captured. plus it shd produce more bokeh effect to blur out the background.

thanx wuffruff and fragnatic!

for ISO rite, there was once i forgot to change my ISO and it was at ISO800 for a day shoot. the pictures come out generally grainy though so i tot i would stay with an ISO of ard 400 unless the situation requires me to bump up my ISO to compensate for shorter shutter speed.

fragnatic: thanks for the feedback! can i ask you which will produce more bokeh?

1) focal length 18mm. f/3.5
2) focal length 55mm. f/5.6

increasing focal length and decreasing f number brings about a shallower DOF. but which factor is more dominant?

eh my prof used to describe the relation to us using an equation. hahha but the notes are tucked neatly away in my shelf le.

but from experience. 55m f5.6 dont give u much bokeh. unless the bg is really far away. so the aperture size is pretty dominant.

Another way to look at it, is the relative distance of your bg to your focal length. when u are very very near your subject (maybe 4-5cm away), your bg distance is very far away relative to your focal length, giving u nice bokeh even in lower aperture. (this is the only method i know to get very nice bokeh with my old PnS)

for ISO rite, there was once i forgot to change my ISO and it was at ISO800 for a day shoot. the pictures come out generally grainy though so i tot i would stay with an ISO of ard 400 unless the situation requires me to bump up my ISO to compensate for shorter shutter speed.

fragnatic: thanks for the feedback! can i ask you which will produce more bokeh?

increasing focal length and decreasing f number brings about a shallower DOF. but which factor is more dominant?

for DOF, 3 factors affect it.
1. Aperture size (the larger the aperture, the shallower DOF)
2. Focal length (longer focal length, shallower DOF)
3. Relative distance from camera to subject and distance from subject to background

go try out using ur camera and lens to see the effects.

go calculate.. http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

btw, bokeh refers to the quality of the out of focus areas, which is inherent with the design of the lens.. don't confuse it with shallow DoF..

calculated for a hypothetical object at 50cm away.

seems like situation 2 at longer focal length and bigger f no gives a shallower DOF.

Thanks J-Chan for the link!

Subject distance 50 cm

Depth of field
Near limit 45.7 cm
Far limit 55.3 cm
Total 9.59 cm

Subject distance 50 cm

Depth of field
Near limit 49.2 cm
Far limit 50.8 cm
Total 1.58 cm

Anyone thinks it's got a more lonely feel to it than a love feel? :dunno:

If you can re-shoot, my suggestion is to get a loving couple to pose for you at the bright part of the corridor.

calculated for a hypothetical object at 50cm away.

seems like situation 2 at longer focal length and bigger f no gives a shallower DOF.

Thanks J-Chan for the link!

Subject distance 50 cm

Depth of field
Near limit 45.7 cm
Far limit 55.3 cm
Total 9.59 cm

Subject distance 50 cm

Depth of field
Near limit 49.2 cm
Far limit 50.8 cm
Total 1.58 cm

hi, i dun suppose u can estimate it this way.

imagine u shooting at 18mm, the FOV is very wide. the hearts thingy would look small. so u could have gone closer to get it covering more of the frame. which means camera-subj dist is closer.

and at 55mm, u might be stand further back since that might that some parts the hearts are out of frame

;)

best is take out ur camera and lens, and try it out. haha

Status
Not open for further replies.