Love you deep deep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lagure

Oct 28, 2007
Hi all fellow CSers,

Started out photography as a hobby not long ago. Was lucky this year, managed to get NDP preview tickets and hence this picture was taken during the preview seated somewhere in the middle of the grandstand in the evening.

went with my gf and b4 the planes started their formation flying, the whole grandstand was buzzing with noise and exhilaration. but once the heart was formed in the sky, i sorta kinda felt the atmosphere quietened down a little bit. personally i felt that its kinda romantic watching the planes do the heart shape in the air and i was hoping to capture that sweet n romantic feeling.

the picture was quite dull at first and was PSed to bring out the colours. vignetting was applied and noise level was quite high after i PSed it (even though ISO=100) and i brought it down using noiseninja to the current state. equipment used was a 350d with 18-55IS, 1/100s, f/5.6 @ 18mm, ISO100.

Thanks for viewing and if possible please advice =)
IMG_0907_edited_filtered_small.jpg

the colors are gorgeous. the scene itself is stunning. the bottom bit is a little underexposed, too dark from the screen downwards. apart from that, i think this is typically a good photo :D:thumbsup:

It's a pity to include so much of the structure below. It's a distracting black mess with two illuminated rectangles, that takes much away from an otherwise really great picture.

the colors are gorgeous. the scene itself is stunning. the bottom bit is a little underexposed, too dark from the screen downwards. apart from that, i think this is typically a good photo :D:thumbsup:
thanks velasco for viewing!

actually the bottom part is much brighter in the original photo. i delibrately darken the bottom cuz i find it distracting with lotsa ppl's head and the stage and screen scaffoldings. my focus is on the heart and on the sky =) ha actually i tot i should have darkened the 2 bright screens but have no idea how to darken just the 2 screens without affecting the rest of the photo.

will keep your comments in mind velasco =)

I agreed with velasco about the bottom, maybe crop it more so that the dark underexposed part is about 20 to 25%, then it will be a really superb pic! :thumbsup: Maybe clone out the vignetting on the top corners too. :)

It's a pity to include so much of the structure below. It's a distracting black mess with two illuminated rectangles, that takes much away from an otherwise really great picture.
hi calebk!

glad to see you commenting on my photo!

i tot so too, was thinkin of shifting up to the top platform but i was squeezed right in the middle and even if i manage to squeeze my way up, the heart would have disappeared. ha =)

i took a couple of landscape shots with just the heart and the sky, but i tot that without a foreground to put things in perspective, the picture looks quite weak. therefore i chose this photo with the stage to edit and post.

i find the stage distracting too tats y i tried to darken it. do you think cropping some parts of the stage away will be better? or totally remove the whole stage, leaving only the sky and the heart?

thanks for your advice calebk! =)

cropped out 2 copies. =)

just the heart
IMG_0907_HEART_edited_SMALL.jpg

heart plus a bit of stage
IMG_0907_HEART_n_more_SMALL.JPG

cropped out 2 copies. =)

just the heart

heart plus a bit of stage

Second pic is what I mean, now its a good pic!

not trying to be anal, but maybe refrain from posting your own pics in critique corner thread. that said, moderation in CC has been relatively lax, i wonder where eikin is.. probably busy with life.

threadstarter - yes, i was going to say that a more squarish format crop will be better - 4:3 seems to work here if you have used that in the second cropped version. if you have the time and leisure and photoshop know-how, can consider smoothing out the sky, it will make the picture more "perfect".. if that is your preference. cheers!

Able to post the original shot? I think it is interesting too with the wide barage of colors at the bottom. Since this is a National Day event, I think it is all right to show the crowd below too.

What do you all think?

Love this pic so so so much... :)

Whether it is a square crop or rectangle crop is not the issue. It depends on the message u are conveying. For eg, if your intention is to allow pp to know that the planes from NDP did the formation, the square crop would not be able to tell the story. It really depends on the message and story u are carrying. My 2 cents.

Whether it is a square crop or rectangle crop is not the issue. It depends on the message u are conveying. For eg, if your intention is to allow pp to know that the planes from NDP did the formation, the square crop would not be able to tell the story. It really depends on the message and story u are carrying. My 2 cents.

whatever it is, it doesn't matter what message you want to convey if your composition is off.

for example, if you want to convey a message that ndp is very crowded, so you post up a picture of the crowds, tilted horizon, messy, people everywhere.. you will convey your message, but no one is going to give two hoots about your picture.

the cropping is a very useful tool which rectifies errors in compositions, and certain scenes due to wu nai need to use a more squarish crop.

whatever it is, it doesn't matter what message you want to convey if your composition is off.

for example, if you want to convey a message that ndp is very crowded, so you post up a picture of the crowds, tilted horizon, messy, people everywhere.. you will convey your message, but no one is going to give two hoots about your picture.

the cropping is a very useful tool which rectifies errors in compositions, and certain scenes due to wu nai need to use a more squarish crop.

Are you saying that his composition is off? Pls clarify.

Plus one. I crop a lot for my street pics to convey the messages I want. I also have a pic which also due to no choice, had to crop it square in order to draw attention to my intended subject.

Able to post the original shot? I think it is interesting too with the wide barage of colors at the bottom. Since this is a National Day event, I think it is all right to show the crowd below too.

What do you all think?
Hmm i dun mind posting the unPSed original photo (the colours are a bit bland though). wait for me to clarify the photo posting rules first yah =)

Status
Not open for further replies.