Love through the lens and other selected pieces.

lukielala

Oct 25, 2008
Hello all!

Just posting a few pieces of works for comments and advices for improvement! Technical info as follows: Nikon D80, Focal Length: 32, F14, Exposure: 1/800. No post processing done. Cheers!

TheJetty.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?

I'm looking at the overall art direction and the framing of the shot.
2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

A very abstract yet inspiring picture that shows that nothing in life is too mundane to be overlooked.
3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

mid day, slight over cast skies
4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

I think that the picture has areas for improvement for toning of the various levels of the greys and blacks.

Last edited:
edited. sorry if the image cant be viewed previously. it's okay now :)

kinda of messy?
tot maybe if you move forward/lose the two gate will be better?

very cramp. feeling uncomfortable.

Hmmm... Do elaborate more on how your title is relating to your pic.
The gates are distracting and horizon is tilted.

Yeah agreed, the gates are a horrible distraction. Also, try to have your foreground in focus for any landscape shot. You should also straighten up the horizon in PP. The picture is very flat and lacks contrast, PP it to bring out more contrast.

I also don't quite get how the title relates to the picture, mind elaborating a little?

Care to explain your exposure settings and lack of post process? Firstly your exposure is deeply under, you don't have to understand all of ansel adam's teachings. Just focus on the zone scale. (Dynamic range of digital photography is much broader than film now, but the basics of exposure still apply for pinpointing your highlights and shadow areas.)

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/zone_system.shtml

Look at the chart and look at your image, it's clustered around zone 3-5. Your highlights are missing making the image dull, lifeless and a wasted photograph overall.

Lukielala-TheJetty.jpg

I've edited your image, making roughly zone 3-7. Should be immediately obvious how important highlight is. Get your base exposure right and then it's all about practising dodge & burn.

Now, I like the inclusion of the foreground gate, as it repeats itself at the end of the jetty. Not all photographs need to be peaceful zen like. As one commenter mentioned, he/she feels trapped. That's a compliment. Some people try but can't bring across it well enough.

"A very abstract yet inspiring picture that shows that nothing in life is too mundane to be overlooked" I think you need some elaboration, for composition I find nothing wrong, but how it actually relates to your message does.

Personally I prefer the gate to be around, it gives me a creepy feeling, like those graphic puzzle games feels. Foxtwo enchancment brings the feeling even stronger.