Love on the rocks

xAndreadx

Oct 22, 2009

love on the rocks by n Drew, on Flickr

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
composition, lighting, detail, lighting and anything that comes to play in a good photograph.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
a symbol that represents even if their relationship have ups and downs like the rock the rings are sitting on, they can overcome it together and still watch the sunset with each other at the end of the day.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
around 5.30pm, canon 500D, 50mm, f/2.0, 1/1000. had a fight, but made up with my girlfriend that day at the beach and felt good.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I do know that pictures with rings and sunsets are done to death by now but i just hope that this is at the least decent. i personally feel that the rings' colour do blend in with the rocks a little bit and they don't really stand out, as compared to the colour of the sky in the background.

please do not hold back, just started photography not too long ago and i sure can use the critiques to improve!

not bad.. the story is there..

just that the attention on the rings is slightly weak i guess..

and there's a brown spot on the rocks which is rather distracting..

Not much of a pro, but thought that the 'love' could be more emphasized :)

er... my english not so good, but i have always thought when LOVE IS ON THE ROCK, it meant going through rough patch, near to seperation?

not bad.. the story is there..

just that the attention on the rings is slightly weak i guess..

and there's a brown spot on the rocks which is rather distracting..

thanks for the tip! maybe it's the focus on the rings are weaker because of that brown spot

Not much of a pro, but thought that the 'love' could be more emphasized :)

was trying to get a heart shaped shadow cast by the rings with the sunset, but failed. haha. but will find other ways next time, thanks man

er... my english not so good, but i have always thought when LOVE IS ON THE ROCK, it meant going through rough patch, near to seperation?

ohh, what i was trying to say in the title was 'even on the rocks, there is still love at the end of the day' end of the day portrayed by the sunset. but yea, i'll take note and maybe come up with a better title the next time. haha thanks

Last edited:
can't really see the rings clearly. perhaps it's the color (too similar to the rocks). but when my colleague saw this image from a few metres away... he said he thought it was a picture of 2 insects going at it

can't really see the rings clearly. perhaps it's the color (too similar to the rocks). but when my colleague saw this image from a few metres away... he said he thought it was a picture of 2 insects going at it

hahaha. ok. main problem is the rings not outstanding enough. got it

Mmm... don't really feel the love... without looking at your title and description, what I see is two rings on a rock, and I thought "so what?". The rings themselves and the background (rocks and the sunset) do not really convey your message (at least to my mind).

You need to zoom in to the rings a little more to make it a strong Point of interest. The texture and colors of the rock is distracting.

Interesting theme.. Maybe next time u might want to angle the top ring towards the camera a bit more. That way, ppl will know they're rings (and not insects)

Did you PS to achieve the bokeh effect? It seems too unnatural to me on the transition.

thanks all for letting me know the area of improvements. will try better next time:)

i didn't PS or anything to enhance the bokeh, don't know much about PP. just increased the black levels and saturations a little.. maybe that's why?