Lousy Photographers trying to mimic themselves like PRO... **sigh**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tokyoexpress

May 2, 2007
I hate to say this but i have attented a few weddings of my relatives and friends these recent mths, Saw photographers carry big ex lens and bodys like 5d, 5dm11 1ds mark III or whatever looks pro. I dunno how photographers in sg practice these days, shooting at Super high ISO daylight and dinner time, nearly all the pictures are unacceptable in my point of view. The composition is totally "any how shoot" type. Can really throw away all the pictures. Perhaps out of 100, only 1-2 is acceptable. They silly pple never even capture the "tea" session properly, werid angle, cant see head! Vertical Full pictures without legs for the bride and groom... *Faint*

I am quiet disapointed with these photographers. Carrying pro equipments doesnt mean pro... which mislead many pple who think pple who carry big lens and cameras are pro... I can even take much better pictures using my HANDPHONE~~!

I felt really upset for their weddings which is totally spoilt by these unprofessionally pple mimic themselves by using good equipments and make em look pro so they can earn a living, cant imaging the photographers still dare to charge $$$ for such lousy works...

Lousy unsharp pictures, Lousy composition, Lousy High ISO Quality photos *Even using 1ds mark3, shoot terrible expression at guests...

I hate to say that but it really terrible to know there are pple working out there cheating without pride...

I suggest those who think that using pro equipment could lead you to make money without even brushing up the skills, you are wrong, wake up PLS... Dun be selfish and rune others Happy weddings. Its quiet sad when they see the pictures u know. But no choice, paid and cannot reverse too...

Skills is much much more important that equipments~ Good photographers can take better pictures using kit lens than lousy pple who uses pro cameras n lens.

true!

but nothing wrong with buying gear, it's like people buying expensive cars and scratching them nonstop because they can't drive!

if consumers want to be cows that hire bad photographers, that's their choice, it's a free market after all. :)

I would also like to add that all pictures are not even touch up... its just anyhow shoot, then burn into a disc & Finish! Argh...

I will prob kill that fellow who rune my wedding.... lol

Skills is much much more important that equipments~ Good photographers can take better pictures using kit lens than lousy pple who uses pro cameras n lens.[/QUOTE said:
i second that

but are we the ones to judge if they are good or bad?

i don't think so.

but still have to agree with you on certain points.

exactly like what night86mare said, we can't stop them

they'll learn a lesson i guess...

yea but you won't need to kill the person who ruins your wedding, cos you'll know who to get!

didn't ur frineds n relatives view the protfolio first?

if they did,
maybe thats the style they wanted.

There are just too many self-proclaimed PROfessional photographers... :bsmilie:

That aside,
Costumers should view the portfolio of the person they are hiring and how much they are paying the PROfessional photographer...

By the way from da information, the photographers are hired with very HIGH COST... everything is settled in a very HIGH CLASS WEDDING manner which means that photographers are paid few thousands for a day!

I guess that's the trend, and I do agree that it's plain selfish to try to step up trying to earn a living without trying to gain the experience in the first place...Then again, we never know what goes behind the scene too right? The couple might have paid peanuts for it, not going through the portfolio enough?

It's an unregulated free market, so if those folks spoils too many a wedding, they will be ousted very soon too la. Chill...

By the way from da information, the photographers are hired with very HIGH COST... everything is settled in a very HIGH CLASS WEDDING manner which means that photographers are paid few thousands for a day!

you will be surprised how many couples try to get their friends, whether they are wedding photographers in the first place or not, whether they are good or not, to cover the wedding , in the hopes that image quality will outweigh composition, angles, lighting, the list goes on. :bsmilie:

well, if the photographer is able to market himself to sell himself to the couple, and they do not mind paying whatever fee for whatever photos, that's really their own problem, don't you think? he has shown himself to be pro, to convince and fleece people of their money when they can pay the same for much better standard, e.g. will03, j0h0, iamasaint..

also not your wedding..... :sweat: to put it bluntly, people will say "none of your business!"

sorry, may i know why most of the PRO i see are using canon 5d? :embrass:

I personally find that checking at photographers "portfolio" is totally useless...

For example, if a photographer attend studio shoots to obtain various portfolios, eveything has been setup nicely, nice makeup, light, beautiful gals, there is not way, the picture will turn out bad... Then he claims he is pro to mislead pple.

And also what makes you think that this is his real portfolio, these pictures can be taken by 1 person and they sharing the same portfolio to multiple pple.... I believe there are pple who practices these habits.

I believe its very important to interview the photographers personally to know his charactristic before engage his service.

I dun think its non of my business because i am related to them closely. After seening their pics, they complain to me and show me. I felt sorry for them... But what done is done. Just trying to warn others to be vigilant for such pple. But as again. Interviewing personal should be the only choice to choose wise instead of looking at portfolio.

At least its the least it can be done to decide...

I personally find that checking at photographers "portfolio" is totally useless...

For example, if a photographer attend studio shoots to obtain various portfolios, eveything has been setup nicely, nice makeup, light, beautiful gals, there is not way, the picture will turn out bad... Then he claims he is pro to mislead pple.

And also what makes you think that this is his real portfolio, these pictures can be taken by 1 person and they sharing the same portfolio to multiple pple.... I believe there are pple who practices these habits.

I believe its very important to interview the photographers personally to know his charactristic before engage his service.
if they are sharing same portfolio to multiple people and the results are not up to par, i think you can easily demand for your money back.

if you put it that way, then it will never end. who cares about characteristics? are you telling me a layman can tell whether a photographer is good or not at one glance? or ask him shoot them on the spot to see if he knows his stuff? :bsmilie:

even then, what if he is good at on the spot candids, but not wedding photography?

the portfolio approach will have to do, it is the same as many other things, like university degrees. one doesn't have time to check thoroughly if the skills are really up to par to the job, so paper qualifications , whether in the form of portfolio or results, will have to do until proven wrong.

I dun think its non of my business because i am related to them closely. After seening their pics, they complain to me and show me. I felt sorry for them... But what done is done. Just trying to warn others to be vigilant for such pple. But as again. Interviewing personal should be the only choice to choose wise instead of looking at portfolio.

At least its the least it can be done to decide...

so why didn't you recommend them anyone when you knew they were going to get such shots done?

i will always scout around for my close family members if they ever wish to hire a photographer for their wedding, and that is what i can do for my part as a "closely-related" person..

did you do that? if not, then...?

i'm not saying that i don't share your feelings, it's just that i don't see much point in saying much about this. you've vented your frustration, there's nothing to it, drumming on about it for a few more pages will just lead to frivolous comments. move on, and warn your relatives/friends/whatever next time.

Last edited:

For people here maybe lah.

But for ordinary couples who totally have no photography knowledge, how to get anything out of the interview... :dunno:

did i miss anything?
i thot thats a wedding day phpotographer?
why view pics of some studio shots?

to a certain extent. i agree. however, i usually separate actual wedding day photography and wedding album photography. For the album photography, it's mainly the bride and groom and in control environment. So if he can take good studio shots, chances are he will take decent shots in studio wedding env.

For actual day, essentially it serves as a record of events. So as long as they capture the key events, it's ok. Of course, it has to be at least well exposed and sharp. If you prefer journalist style, then you should probably see signs of it in portfolio.

However, do take note that portfolio is suppose to show off the BEST works and NO photographer can replicate that in EVERY shot. So i would say don't expect 100% as good as portfolio.

lastly, bad photos = bad review = negative word of mouth = no business... This is the cycle of business... They will get their dues, just wait :)

You are to blame too. Since you are their friend/relative, why didn't you recommend the better wedshooters out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.