Lousy 995 response time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

arampan

Nov 29, 2004
Jurong West
A friend of mine recently passed away from a heart attack. I understood that it took 30min for an ambulance to reach his place. His place is near town and it happened around 4am...:angry:

I somehow kept feeling that he may have survived if they actually came earlier. Donno if his wife will bring up an inquiry...

:thumbsd: :thumbsd: :thumbsd:

scdf ambulances or other emergency vehicles have a strict timeframe to reach destination at which help may be rendered. if it took 30 min to arrive, it would appear to me to be too long and, thus, too late. at 4am in the morning, traffic condition unlikely to be congested.

Ever waited more den 30mins for an ambulance and u know u can't do anything abt it as u watched 1 life slip away in front of u?

How I really wished firearms are legal here. Honest.

arampan said:
A friend of mine recently passed away from a heart attack. I understood that it took 30min for an ambulance to reach his place. His place is near town and it happened around 4am...:angry:

I somehow kept feeling that he may have survived if they actually came earlier. Donno if his wife will bring up an inquiry...

I'm sorry to hear this had happened but I'm not surprised it took 30min for the ambulance to arrive. Once I was helping an Indonesian lady who fell from a 5th floor to remain calm on the pavement while she had some broken bones (you could see the broken bone pierce out from her flesh) while I do not know what else could be broken. She was screaming in pain and to make matters worst it was during noon time and sun was hot and lying down on the pavement is not where you want to be. I think it took around 30mins for the ambulance to arrive during that time. I thought to myself this is much too long if the injury is life-threatening. I was also comparing to the time I was involved in a car accident in the US one Sunday afternoon out in the rural areas (on the outskirts of some town) and the ambulance and fireman came within 10mins be it life-threatening or not.

I was once told by a local private doctor that he called for the ambulance once for a patient to be admitted and it came after 1hour of waiting. Since he's a doctor he thought he could get all the readings of the patient ready so that when the ambulance came they could just go off immediately. But when the ambulance came, they insist on doing their measurements and took some time again before the patient was whisked off.:angry:

mayb things will be different if the victim is one of our ministers. we pay so much tax every year and we got such service. veri bad!!

:thumbsd: :thumbsd: :thumbsd: :thumbsd:

arampan said:

Has it occured to you that the hospital nearest your location may have sent out all its A&E ambulances and hence an ambulance had to be called from a hospital further away?

Nah... U muz see it this way trigger_lim.... Ministers are important ppl, they serve the country, they serve the ppl and their lives are very, very important.

Anyway, with their salary, I guess most of them can well afford to hire private personal nurses and doctors to attend to them so they practically have no worries abt stuff like these.

Although this is one service I never wish to have, I always curse and swear at those cars who cannot switch lanes to give way and/or priority to ambulances on the road.

My condolences to your friend.

I called for an ambulance once in the middle of the night, and the ambulance came within 10 minutes, although it seems like an eternity to me...;) And I am not a minister or a VIP.

Its normal to be fustrated, but do find out the reason why they took 30 minutes to get there.

I am sorry about your friend. My condolences.

+evenstar said:
Has it occured to you that the hospital nearest your location may have sent out all its A&E ambulances and hence an ambulance had to be called from a hospital further away?
Things like this we wun noe.

But den again, if we can see huge countries many times the size of Singapore roar full speed to reach an accident scene within 10mins? :eek:

I'm starting to think if their ambulances have NOS, Turbo engine installed... :think:

remembered the wife of one of our minister who had a stroke overseas. a passenger plane was reftrofitted and ferried her home. now, she looks fine outwardly.

trigger_lim said:
mayb things will be different if the victim is one of our ministers. we pay so much tax every year and we got such service. veri bad!!

if i am not wrong, all 'available' ambulances are stationed are firestations all over the island. ambulance/s from the nearest firestation will be activated to respond.

+evenstar said:

reachme2003 said:
if i am not wrong, all 'available' ambulances are stationed are firestations all over the island. ambulance/s from the nearest firestation will be activated to respond.

The response by the SCDF ambulances are usually quite fast, unless they are called out to other cases. Hence the importance for pple not to call for emergency ambulances if there are no emergences and use 1777 (but I understand that these private ambulances take much longer time). These non-emergency cases may clog up the SCDF ambulances and may be the reason your friend's ambulance took such a long time.

Sorry about your friend.

Sad to hear about your friend.

Another case of First Class Rates but Sloppy Service.:angry: :angry: :thumbsd: :thumbsd:

from what i know, ambulances shd reach within 8mins. this is part of scdf's goal. there are 15 fire stations in spore.

i kena wasp attack before. the ambulance got lost along the way. as i was lying there in pain, was wondering what happened to the ambulance.

I'm from Sydney where Ambulances are given absolute priority when they are rushing to an emergency... I don't know whats worse - seeing ignorant drivers not getting out of the way of an ambulance or seeing an ambulance waiting at a set of red lights??? WTF is going on there? Can't they go through???

Its soooo easy to criticise and second guess isn't it? Maybe some of you should volunteer some of your time to the ambulance service and find out for yourself how easy/difficult it is. It is truly a THANKLESS job. Unless you really understand the logistics of it and why things are done a certain way, please be a little more circumspect in your expectations. Run this little test, have a friend simulate a medical emergency at an unknown location 10 minutes away from you. Have him time how long it takes from the emergency to the phone call to be completed, until you arrive. It may have seemed like 30 minutes from the time of the emergency, but often if you ask to see the response log, you find that the call received time to the arrival time is significantly less than that.

I'm not trying to say that this was the case here, but often times the caller, due to the stressful situation, has a truly expanded perception of time. One time during army training, one of my section mates had a heat stroke, it seemed like hours before the ambulance arrived, in reality it was probably less than 20 minutes.

Another point to note, even if it only took as fast as 10 minutes to arrive, if the patient really had a heart attack and had cardiac arrest, if no CPR had been commenced and continued by the family, it is TOO LATE anyway. Within less than 7-8 minutes of an arrest, brain death is already occurring. Lesson here is, go for a basic life support course if you care about your loved ones, it might come in handy some day.

Condolences to your friend. Even with the best efforts in the world, the majority of out-of-hospital arrests don't do well.

soma said:
Sad to hear about your friend.

Another case of First Class Rates but Sloppy Service.:angry: :angry: :thumbsd: :thumbsd:

Please specify what rate you are paying for this service? Have you ever been part of an emergency response team?

trigger_lim said:

How much tax exactly do you pay every year? What's your benchmark for good/bad service? Something arbitrary plucked out of the air or some kind of industry standard? How do we know what the original poster reported was even half accurate?

dkw said:
Please specify what rate you are paying for this service? Have you ever been part of an emergency response team?

At last a first class citizen...............................:lovegrin:

my last reply to you.:sticktong

Status
Not open for further replies.