Lotus

vinjess

May 12, 2012
Jurong West
1. in what area is critique to be sought?
- In General I guess

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
- Beautiful Flower

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken?
- Day time

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

IMG_57902.jpg

Last edited:
it looks underexposed and over-saturated.

tho you try to observe the one third rule, but do remember another stalk also getting lot of attention, and the negative space on the right.

crop away the whole right side and make it square cropping will be better than current composition.

btw, when you link images from CS gallery, don't copy and paste the link of thumbnail,
click on the small icon at the right side of the image link, it will open up the a few links to medium size images, copy and paste the images link with [ img ] BB code

it looks underexposed and over-saturated.

tho you try to observe the one third rule, but do remember another stalk also getting lot of attention, and the negative space on the right.

crop away the whole right side and make it square cropping will be better than current composition.

btw, when you link images from CS gallery, don't copy and paste the link of thumbnail,
click on the small icon at the right side of the image link, it will open up the a few links to medium size images, copy and paste the images link with [ img ] BB code

Dear Catchlights, thanks for the comments. Will take note of it. Btw, I will be posting another Lotus and hope you can enlighten me :)

i do find the other stalk distracting too. actually there is a very interesting detail in your water lily photo - the bee. why not crop it vertically and place the bee on approximately 1/3 point?

ps - for the second shot, its too messy. i believe you took these at the artscience museum? there are many water lilies to choose from and there are more than one way of shooting water lilies, other than from the top. :)

I would prefer if you go in further to the flower instead of including so much of the green leaves on the water surface. You should try to fill the frame with the subject and i would think it will be good if you can show more details in the centre of the flower.

The first photo at the top appears as though you use flash. The dark stalk on the right is very distracting yet of no compositional value. I would again feel that you should to to fill in the frame more with the flower itself.