Lotus in Monochrome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoned

May 7, 2004
Changi
www.photo.net
With this shot I tried to achieve a sense of blossoming life as well as an isolation of the lotus flower's beauty. I endeavoured to seperate the lotus flower from the pond and it's surroundings via the use of tones and DOF, therefore making it a prominent subject. Hope that the result is pleasing.

TD11.jpg

so lonely.... up for you. :)

Like this shot, but I do think if it's in colour, it would probably gives a stronger feel. :thumbsup:

The rose is not isolated enough... Some details need to be blurred out or removed for the picture to work...

oh, veri sorry..... guess i cant differentiate my cosines from my sines...;p haha

With this shot I tried to achieve a sense of blossoming life as well as an isolation of the lotus flower's beauty. I endeavoured to seperate the lotus flower from the pond and it's surroundings via the use of tones and DOF, therefore making it a prominent subject.

As written before, I think the flower on the right isn't isolated enough, mainly because there's other flowers/stems that are far enough away from the first one that they attract a lot of attention of their own.

The monochrome and somewhat darkish treatment gives me more a melancholic feeling than a "sense of blossoming life". But while I seem to see a different message in the picture, I like the treatment very much. It's more serene than the usual colourful flower pictures, in a way an invitation to think.

Edit: to clarify the confusing sentence about "far enough away to be isolated": The other flowers/stems are out of focus compared to the flower on the right, but not that much out of focus that they don't attract attention when looking at them on their own.

Newbie Opinion here.. i feel you should zoom in more and make the front lotus bigger.. the leave at the bottom right is very distracting too.

my 2 cents.

IMO, black & white have lesser appreciation for depth when viewed. If the back flower is sharper will be ideal. Nevertheless its a nice photo.:)

Not bad, it does give a feel of serenity, though I wish the focused lotus flower was in full bloom, which could give a better effect.

Thanks all, appreciate all the comments and thoughts. Have to agree about the DOF but I'll admit I wasn't thinking that much about technicality at that point in time as I shot it as part of a photo hunt for objects. I thought it turned out decent in the end so I did some PP on the final result and posted it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.