Lots of Olympus C2100UZ!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpenza

Jan 18, 2002
Singapore
www.instagram.com
Friend just bought one at Alan Photo! $950 including UV filter (GST included). There're many boxes left!

Was quite surprised at the weight of the camera. It's supposed to be heavy but the weight distribution is good and you don't really feel the weight. The lens is quiet too during zooming.

Most, if not all, the warranty cards are chopped "Redeemed" though and you might not be able to claim freebies from Olympus.

btw, if you were to get one of these, check for dead pixels (as you would with others).

Originally posted by mpenza
Friend just bought one at Alan Photo! $950 including UV filter (GST included). There're many boxes left!

Was quite surprised at the weight of the camera. It's supposed to be heavy but the weight distribution is good and you don't really feel the weight. The lens is quiet too during zooming.

All the warranty cards are chopped "Redeemed" though and you might not be able to claim freebies from Olympus.

btw, if you were to get one of these, check for dead pixels (as you would with others).

Eh...so I veri heng lah...cos I also pay $950 incl. GST + UV filter...and yet no REDEEMED chop on warranty card...went to claim freebies liao!!! :D

Anyway...C-2100UZ is an end-of-life product..if wanna get get now or never.

If got dead/stuck/hot pixel problem...remember to pay Olympus Singapore a visit to ungrade ur firmware...I did and it mostly solved my probelm (still noisy at long exposure...but that's a fact in life, isn't it???).

Originally posted by Jayan

If got dead/stuck/hot pixel problem...remember to pay Olympus Singapore a visit to ungrade ur firmware...

if you have the time, check for these first at the shop and save the trip to Olympus....

Originally posted by Ninja

Do we tell the salesman to connect it to a TV set to check it or it can be readily spotted on the LCD screen?

Yes, u can request for it...after doing a black frame test to chk for hot pixels.

1. to check for dead pixels, put on the lens cap and take a pic.
2. go to play mode and check for any bright spots. if there're no bright spots (you should see a totally black image), there are no dead pixels on the LCD.
3. still in play mode, zoom in and look around the pic to check for any bright spots. if there're no bright spots, there're no dead pixels on the CCD (image sensor).

1. to check for hot pixels, put on the lens cap and adjust the shutter speed to say 1s or 2s and take a pic.
2. go to play mode, zoom in and check for any colored spots. these are hot pixels. it'll of course be best if there aren't but expect to see some in most.

please correct me if the steps are wrong or could be improved.

I can't answer you on this. Maybe Jayan or others using the same camera could help.

When the bright white spots start to annoy u, u know u have a hot pixel problem!!! :D

Do a few 'black frame' shots at 1/8 sec, 1/4 sec, 1/2 sec, 1 sec, 2 sec, 3 sec, 4 sec, 5 sec, 6 sec and 8sec, all at 1600x1200 resolution, either in TIFF or SHQ JPEG, according to the steps previously stated by Mpenza.

Make sure that ur DC is cool...cos a warm DC --> CCD will produce more noise and hot pixels at shorter exposure, making the test inaccurate.

With a cool DC and CCD, the pix produced using the black frame test should be perfectly black in color.

Download the 'black frame' pix onto ur pc and expand to max to chk for any pixels that lit up.

In my C-2100UZ, hot pixels start to show themself at 3 ~ 4 sec (pretty dim though) and only become more obvious at 6 sec. In comparison, when the CDD is warm, cut this timing by half (see the difference???).

Your milage may vary...but I would suggest that anything that shows up in your pix at exposure lesser than 2 sec be considered a defect and u should contact Olympus Singapore immediately for a remedy.

Just to share, I sent my DC to Oly SG 1 day after my purchase due to a hot pixels probelm, there are a few hot pixels that shows up even at 1/15 sec!!!

Hope this helps!!! ;)

Originally posted by Jayan
Eh...so I veri heng lah...cos I also pay $950 incl. GST + UV filter...and yet no REDEEMED chop on warranty card...went to claim freebies liao!!! :D

Anyway...C-2100UZ is an end-of-life product..if wanna get get now or never.

If got dead/stuck/hot pixel problem...remember to pay Olympus Singapore a visit to ungrade ur firmware...I did and it mostly solved my probelm (still noisy at long exposure...but that's a fact in life, isn't it???).

Do you think C-2100UZ is a good buy if it is an end-of-life product? Please advise.

Originally posted by fusetrips

Do you think C-2100UZ is a good buy if it is an end-of-life product? Please advise.

It is a great buy! If you're getting it when it was first introduced, you need to pay >> $1500 for it!

You could also easily get the batteries (it uses AA size) and memory (smartmedia) for it.

Look for Steven and said you friend introduced you and paid $950 (ncluding GST) for the camera with UV filter. You might want to get a battery charger set and a bag for it together too.

It is a great buy! If you're getting it when it was first introduced, you need to pay >> $1500 for it!

You could also easily get the batteries (it uses AA size) and memory (smartmedia) for it.

Look for Steven and said you friend introduced you and paid $950 (ncluding GST) for the camera with UV filter. You might want to get a battery charger set and a bag for it together too.

Pardon me for asking again. Since now more newer products with more megapixels are easily available on the market, how long can this camera actually last?
Is 2.1MP still sufficient?

Pardon me for asking again. Since now more newer products with more megapixels are easily available on the market, how long can this camera actually last?
Is 2.1MP still sufficient?

it lasts as long as you feel it is adequate and produces prints large enough for you.

higher MP only means larger prints. A high MP camera need not have as good features as a camera with a lower MP.

Wow!.. All along I thought that DCs with a higher megapixels is definitely a good buy and I doesn't know that a lower megapixels with good lens and design out beat a DC with a higher megapixels but poor design.

Can I say that as long as you dun print or develop photographs that is more than 8R, this DC will be more than sufficient?

Thank you for the prompt reply.

Regards.

yup!!!

In fact, you could try out immediately! Just download a 2MP picture taken by the C2100UZ from one of the review sites and print it at A4. And see the results and quality of the print! I've printed quite a number of 2MP at A4 size using Epson Stylus Photo 750 and the results are pretty good.

Will there be any differences if you want to develop via normal Kodak or Fuji shops?
Is the image quality better than normal 35mm camera?

Will there be any differences if you want to develop via normal Kodak or Fuji shops?
Is the image quality better than normal 35mm camera?

I would say it's the same image quality.

Hi!
Just found out about this website from someone's posting over at dpreview, must say it's great to find a local photo community.

Bought a c700 which i later exchanged for a c2100 at alan photo about 3-4weeks back. Problem is that they charged me 1250 for the c2100 camera. Well, 1150 after taking 100 off for the additional 128mb SM card.

Someone mentioned about some redemption with the warranty card? may i know what the offer is? Alan photo didn't mention anything about it. My warranty card is unstamped.

Thanks for the info. :)
Hope to join in some photo session someday.

Status
Not open for further replies.