Lost World discovered!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsbn

Jul 24, 2002
Planet Eropagnis
'Lost world' found here in SE Asia
High up in Indonesia's mountain rainforests, scientists have discovered an astonishing, mist-shrouded "lost world" that includes animals and plants never seen by man before.

"It is as close to the Garden of Eden as you are going to find on earth," said Mr Bruce Beehler, co-leader of a group of international scientists who were dropped by helicopter at Foja Mountains in Indonesian New Guinea.

In a jungle site that was surrounded by giant flowers and strange mammals that had never seen humans before, the scientists watched almost daily wonders unfold before their eyes for a month.

They saw the rare male bowerbird — believed to be the most evolved of birds — attracting females with large extravagant nests. They spotted tree kangaroos, which were previously thought to have been hunted to near-extinction.

They also discovered five new species of palm and a white flower, 15cm across, that may be the world's largest rhododendron.

"We found dozens, if not hundreds, of new species in what is probably the most pristine ecosystem in the whole Asia-Pacific region," said Mr Beehler. "There were so many new things that it was almost overwhelming," he added.

The scientists hope to return later this year to the area that sprawls across 300,000 hectares.

Meanwhile, they still haven't finished categorising their discoveries which, they said, were new even to members of the local indigenous groups who traditionally own the forest. "The men from the local villages came with us and they made it clear that even their ancestors had never been near this area," said Mr Beehler.

They found giant butterflies with wingspans of up to 18cm. Some 20 new species of frog, including a tiny one that grows to just 14mm, were also discovered.

The six-wired bird of paradise, never before observed by scientists, merrily performed its courtship rituals while the team gaped.

The almost unknown spiny anteater allowed itself to be picked up and taken to the camp to be studied. "What was amazing was the lack of wariness of all the animals," said Mr Beehler. This suggested they had never encountered humans before.

"This is a place with no roads or trails and never, so far as we know, visited by man," he added. "This proves there are still places to be discovered that man has not touched." – Agencies.

Article courtesty from Today Online. Ref URL: http://www.todayonline.com/articles/99831.asp
Refer to the underlined in red.

Its known that some animals, seeing another species like Man, smaller ones would scurry away in fear, bigger ones would approach u with a wary eye, stalking ur every step or give the small gallop away frm u look at u in the distance and other steps to ensure that they are some distance away frm u....

But after reading this article, it made me wonder for this utter lack of wairness in animals living in that Lost World. :think: Hmm.... The pure innocence and thought in all these animals untouched by Mankind that the World is Well and everyone lives happily & peacefully?

wow thats good news man, can wait to see a documentary about it.

So King Kong wasn't around Singapore... its Indonesia... someone please tell Peter Jackson to release an Extended edition of King Kong

Wow it's good to build a resort up there...keke

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
So King Kong wasn't around Singapore... its Indonesia... someone please tell Peter Jackson to release an Extended edition of King Kong
Who knows what the scientists will find amidst 'The Green Inferno'... :bigeyes:

Cannibal Holocaust anyone? :eek:

Would rather we do not do not "invade" that place ... Man leaves mark of destruction where-ever they trot

rainman said:
Wow it's good to build a resort up there...keke
That's the last thing anyone would do if they wish to preserve such a delicate and untouched place. :)

kitkat said:
Would rather we do not do not "invade" that place ... Man leaves mark of destruction where-ever they trot
But the strangest things are that the animals there are apparently soooo..... receptive and did not show signs of fear towards those scientists!!!

That's what's most wonderful. :)

But lets hope we human beings dun abuse that innocence. :(

kitkat said:
Thats a bit generalistic i think, some people, such as the scientists who went there probably did not trash the place!

Thats pretty cool actually would love to go and see it for myself! Roadtrip! :bsmilie:

wildstallion said:
Thats pretty cool actually would love to go and see it for myself! Roadtrip! :bsmilie:

And here comes the "tourist"

now that the place is so widely publicised, some spoilt son or daughter of a multi-billionaire will hire gunmen to threaten the scientists to show where the place is and threaten the locals to give up the ownership and build a mega commercial lala land on it. sounds drama? who knows, it might just happen :bsmilie:

wildstallion said:
Thats a bit generalistic i think, some people, such as the scientists who went there probably did not trash the place!

The scientists who went there needed six permits before they could even set foot there. Don't think that place is that accessible also. No roads etc. They had to fly there by chopper and land in a lake bed or something. Dun think it'll be open to Eco Tourism, given the amount of rare species there, prolly will be gazetted as a protected place or something.

jsbn said:
But lets hope we human beings dun abuse that innocence. :(

That is unlikely :cry: Wait for a few years and we will know.

Garion said:
Dun think it'll be open to Eco Tourism, given the amount of rare species there, prolly will be gazetted as a protected place or something.

You know , the place is call "Indonesia" , where $ counts

Say goodbye to this 'Lost World'.... its discovery marks its impending doom.

jsbn said:
But the strangest things are that the animals there are apparently soooo..... receptive and did not show signs of fear towards those scientists!!!
Animals will show no fear to humans if they've never seen one..
From what I read, if they treat humans as neither predator nor prey, we are like trees or rocks to them..
Some places where rare/endangered species exist, the locations are kept secret/classified...

Ally said:
Animals will show no fear to humans if they've never seen one..
From what I read, if they treat humans as neither predator nor prey, we are like trees or rocks to them..
Some places where rare/endangered species exist, the locations are kept secret/classified...

I have never seen a ghost or alien, but I guess I will fear them when I see them

Status
Not open for further replies.