Lost in thoughts - Sunset

Adrian1987

Dec 13, 2010
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
Ok.. 3rd Photo.. Same.. Hope to get some comments to improve.. :D

t65kjl.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
What needs to be changed to improve this picture? Any thoughts?

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
To give the feeling of a nice lady looking at the sunset and lost in her thoughts..

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
A relaxing day off to the beach to catch the sunset. The weather was gloomy and cloudy as it looks set to rain. However, we could still catch the last few rays of the sun of that day at the other end of the beach. At the back the photographer, it was already all dark and cloudy.

Settings:
1/160
ISO100
F9

Emotions:
Very relaxing~

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I really like this photo but at times wonders what it will look like if I had exposed it a little more and removed the fill flash. I thought it has 85% brought out the title of this thread.

Would really like to hear your views and feel about this picture! Thanks!~

Last edited:
I suggest you reduce the size of your picture first as I find it difficult to view the whole picture (need to scroll) :(
Anyway, the horizon line is slanted to the left. Perhaps you want to consider crop off part of the beach and compose the lady following rule of thirds.

Last edited:
Horizon tilted and i don't see the sunset. It would be nicer if the sky has a more dramatic sunset. :)

something which i took at about the same place? i think this would give a more dramatic sky view as compared to TS'
but i missed the sun too.. it would be good to have it half hanging.
DSC01474.jpg

Last edited:
+
Title fits photo

-
Watch for horizon.
Picture underexposed.
Sunset not obvious.

Keep shooting. Cheers and happy new year bro! ^^

I suggest you reduce the size of your picture first as I find it difficult to view the whole picture (need to scroll) :(
Anyway, the horizon line is slanted to the left. Perhaps you want to consider crop off part of the beach and compose the lady following rule of thirds.
ok.. resized.. haha..

something which i took at about the same place? i think this would give a more dramatic sky view as compared to TS'
but i missed the sun too.. it would be good to have it half hanging.
DSC01474.jpg
nice photo! just a little too bad for me that the weather wasn't that good that day..

really agree with the underexposed.. i didn't realise the horizon thing.. haha.. will take note.. thanks for the feedback!
Thanks all for the feedback! I'll take note of the slanted horizon..

as for the sunset.. like i've mentioned in the conditions.. the weather was really bad that day.. oh well.. hope i'll get a good weather some other time! :D

Apart from the slanted horizon, i find that the flash caused harsh shadows underneath the subjects arms. I would have preferred the shot to be taken closer to the subject, in this image, the subject seems a bit detached from the idea of "lost in thoughts". Also avoid "photographic amputation" by not cropping people/animals along their joints such as elbows, knees, wrist, etc. Shoot more and enjoy the hobby :)

Last edited:
Apart from the slanted horizon, i find that the flash caused harsh shadows underneath the subjects arms. I would have preferred the shot to be taken closer to the subject, in this image, the subject seems a bit detached from the idea of "lost in thoughts". Also avoid "photographic amputation" by not cropping people/animals along their joints such as elbows, knees, wrist, etc. Shoot more and enjoy the hobby :)
Will take note of that! Thanks!