Lost In Sydney

Status
Not open for further replies.

ed9119

Staff member
Mar 11, 2002
Singapore
www.walkeast.com
hi y'all, I'm leaving for Sydney for a conference next week and have this Sunday to myself. Looking through the guidebooks and tourist websites, I know pretty much where to go for pretty pics.

I was wondering where should I go to meet 'fringe' type of people and where the REAL non-tourist Sydney areas are.

I just got myself an Olympus 5060 this morning and plan to put it through its paces there.

Thanks for any help.

ed

ed9119 said:
I was wondering where should I go to meet 'fringe' type of people and where the REAL non-tourist Sydney areas are.
I just got myself a spanking
ed

Well, Ed, if you're looking for a spanking in Sydney by some 'fringe' type of people, all you gotta do is type "BDSM Sydney" in Google. Or maybe Ian can help.

Hmmm, my eyesight is getting bad.

it'll be my giant butts then....

hey dont cut my sentences like that lah!

Any idea where to go? No Opera House or Harbor Bridge pls. I want to find the real soul of the city.

Ian in Perth ....... unless he's moved

maybe you can drop by Kings X, and get some spanking there :blah:

OKie, so any help with photo ops suggestions reference above?

ed

was in sydney recently, only went to those "tourist" places, botanical gardens, harbour bridge, taronga zoo, bondi beach, the rocks, opera house, chinatown, darling harbour etc.

how about going to museums, cathedrals, botanical gardesn in sydney ?

not really my cup of tea these kind of places ..... the only ONE real tourist thing I want to do is to climb up the Harbor bridge.

thanks for the suggestions though.

ed

bridge climb ?? cost a bomb, AUD$155 minimum, didn't went for it, too ex.

anyway, AUD has dropped these few days, only 1.26 today, better go and change some $$$ before it goes up.

ed9119 said:
hi y'all, I'm leaving for Sydney for a conference next week and have this Sunday to myself. Looking through the guidebooks and tourist websites, I know pretty much where to go for pretty pics.

I just got myself an Olympus 5060 this morning and plan to put it through its paces there.

Thanks for any help.

ed

Then you absolutely must not give the charming neighbourhood of Redfern a miss - that's as non-tourist as it gets. The other fringe area would be the housing areas between the Cross and Woolloomooloo - the interesting folks usually come out after 11pm. :)

Thanks for the leads SS!

My uncle's son is there studying....before I could even ask him if we could meet up....the first question out of his mouth was "Can help me get a good 2nd hand digicam from Singapore?"

ed

caseytan said:
maybe you can drop by Kings X, and get some spanking there :blah:

:bsmilie: BTW kings cross is not known for that!

ed9119 said:

Thanks for any help.

ed

Rather depends on what you are 'in to'. And how many languages you speak :)

For the bush walking/scenary type, Sydney ferrys has a 'harbour walks' brochure that has forshore walking paths marked.

The ferry run out to Paramatta is good for seeing the changing face of the city - not much working harbour left, but if you do that run you see some working ships, large former industrial 'waste lands' being turned into residential areas and near Paramatta some actual industry.

Sydney does have some cultural 'enclaves', but I wouldn't wander into some of them with a camera looking like a tourist. The infamous Redfern area which I walk past every day to/from work would have you relived of your camera and money if you went to far off the main road. They certainly won't like any one snooping around with a camera. Redfern doesn't actually represent any particular group anyway - it's sort of become a dumping ground for young people who can't fit into their own communities properly, so it's got the worst of every body.

Sydney does have a upmarket Italian area , Norton St, Leichhardt, which is a short bus ride from the city. The Greeks are in Melbourne.

Auburn is has sort of become a Middle Eastern Musim area, but due to bad press, I wouldn't go wandering with a camera. Besides it's not a photogenic area on the whole, it was orginally a boring working class suburb. The only thing of note is the huge mosque built there, and wandering around treating their main religious centre as a tourist attraction mightn't win you any friends.

The Eastern suburb beaches, Like Bondi and Bronte are full of English backpackers :). Want beaches with out English backbackers outnumbering the locals, go to one of the northern beaches (Ferry to Manly, catch a bus a suburb or two up the coast). Manly beach (South Styne) is a little too accessable due to the ferry service from the city, so is a bit of a tourist trap, but once you get further north into areas accessable only by catching a bus or driving, the tourists thin out.

Or head south to Cronulla.
Cronulla is very accessable by the suburban train system, so does tend to attact tourists like Manly, however the tourists tend to stay near the retail centre, a short walk up or down the coast gets you to beaches used by Sydney siders.

Sydney is really the harbour, beaches and the surrounding bushland.

G'day Ed.

You've just missed Mardi Gras last weekend. It's the gay and lesbian parade. I've been living in Sydney for 15 years. And that's the fringest you could go.

The other day saw a shirtless bare-top yong man with a large tattoo of wings on his back walking around Town Hall. It was a warm summer day. If you have time to hang around Sydney fringe people might pop out here and there. But they won't put on a show for a tourist with an Olympus 5060 looking for fringe people. Hang around King Cross or Oxford street you might be lucky for a shot at fringe people.

Tay Kay Chin was here putting on an exhibition in Borders. He took some panoramic photos of Sydney, maybe you could have a look of his website for some ideas.

BTW James from Offstone is in Sydney too. Maybe he knows more as he is another real Aussie who is born and bred here.

Have a nice stay!

Thanks for the very kind advise guys!

Actually I found my story right outside my hotel....the homeless and destitute being trained as vendors selling The Big Issue magazine.

Covered a few vendors around Elizabeth St and Wynyard areas and dropped by their office.

Been shooting along Oxford and Wooloomooloo areas too and Kappax area around the Central train station.....pretty gritty neighborhoods but so far the people have been very accomodating and made alot of friends on the streets.

Skimmed through a couple of Aussie photo magazines ....nice images but honestly content was very disappointingly sparse.

Bought a couple of 2nd hand books, one by Robert Capa on the Spanish Civil War, 'The Heart of Spain', and another one 'On the Other Side of the Camera' by Arthur Crane....great prices.

nice weather!

ed

matthew said:
The ferry run out to Paramatta is good for seeing the changing face of the city - not much working harbour left, but if you do that run you see some working ships, large former industrial 'waste lands' being turned into residential areas and near Paramatta some actual industry.
QUOTE]

:thumbsup: my favourite past time while studying there..

but my favourite route is frm circular quay to manly.. back then wth the weekly buss pass i could have unlimited ferry rides.. highly recommended.. !!

Status
Not open for further replies.