Lost in Nature

MRSAMO

Nov 17, 2008
Australia->Japan
5253744262_9b4317e8e7_b.jpg

1.in what area is critique to be sought?
I would like feedbacks on composition, lighting and editing as well as feelings about the picture, should it be bigger? cropped somewhere? straighten etc.

2.what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
The theme is "Lost in Nature", I hope to capture the randomness and the life of these wild flowers, whom may not be of much significance but when looked closely revealed a lot of character among the stems. Well, that my quirky outlook on it anyway. I used a panoramic view to emphasis that effect, hopefully this reduced version is still wide enough to see that.

3.under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Taken with an overcast, light rain and windy day (all not intended) at a park near my place.
This was taken on a slope with flowers scattered randomly (it was not a field of flowers as some spots did not have any). Some blurry parts are actual flowers.

4.what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I like looking for details when I see this picture, and I like how random it is just as nature wanted (rather than manufactured). Also, I didn't think of it at the time, when I created this panorama I thought the flowers were similar to the "Kodamas" that appeared in the movie "Princess Mononoke".

Last edited:
I think as a picture, its very well taken. Cant really find any fault with it. But in terms of fitting your theme of "lost in nature" i cant really associate this picture with it. That brings a different visual in my head of someone being lost in the woods or ancient cities buried under dense jungles ect. I personally feel that it would be better with something along the lines of "Nature. Unleashed."

Thanks! The title was inspired by randomness and noticing things more clearly when you're lost. I guess being lost in this case also means to be immersed in nature.

I can't seem to upload a wider shot on Flickr so here's a bigger one:

flowers2small3.jpg

Last edited:
May i know where's this place?

Were you lost when you chanced upon this opportunity to make the shot? Ha ha jokes aside, I think this is a nice picture. However, I would prefer that a shallower DOF to blur out the background more. :)

Thanks, to be honest I came across these flowers by accident a couple weeks back when I first got my 85mm and had some initial problems focusing with it at 1.4 (still learning both camera and lenses). So yeah I was lost, in addition I was bitten by a bull ant and left in big hurry (didn't die but left a big red mark on my ankle). I wouldn't advice anyone to go off the beaten path unless there are people around, in both cases there was no one!

About a shallower DOF, definitely doable, will try again in perhaps a darker settings or different angle.

May i know where's this place?

The name ALWAYS escapes me but its called the national Rhododendron gardens, I'll just call it Rhodo gardens in Mount Dandenong. The rest of the flowers aren't that populated like these ones and its summer now.

Wow.. its a good shot! Reminds me of those classic county side movies.. very much in details.. if there's a cute child posing on the rule of third, I think you can use this photo to contest.. at least to me.. this is a very well taken shot w/o flash.. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks mate, yeah I remember those movies, remember little house on a prairie?

The kid is a good idea. Might try and find a cardboard cutout of one.