Loosing quality of my photos

soumyadeepster

Dec 4, 2011
Singapore
Hi,

I use canon 1000d with 18-55mm kit lens, 1-1.5 years old. I feel, my camera's photo quality is getting loss, there is lesser crispness, little blurriness than 1st time when it was new. I can see some dots through view finder & one small object like spider's net when I see a solid coloured objects's image with f22. And I can see the net when I see through the kit lens by my naked eye without using my camera.

Anyone can suggest me what should I do with my camera to get crispness or sharpness back like before? Any sensor cleaning or lens cleaning?

Thanks,
SOUMYADEEP

Hi,

I use canon 1000d with 18-55mm kit lens, 1-1.5 years old. I feel, my camera's photo quality is getting loss, there is lesser crispness, little blurriness than 1st time when it was new. I can see some dots through view finder & one small object like spider's net when I see a solid coloured objects's image with f22. And I can see the net when I see through the kit lens by my naked eye without using my camera.

Anyone can suggest me what should I do with my camera to get crispness or sharpness back like before? Any sensor cleaning or lens cleaning?

Thanks,
SOUMYADEEP

Sounds like your camera has got fungus.. can you post some photos?

Sure, I'll try to post some photos by tonight.

Thanks for your response.

I'm guessing you never got a dry cabinet?

Your camera lens has fungus. Better check to make sure it's not also on your sensor.

yup, quite likely fungus. If it is just your lens, get a new lens and at least a dry box.

The spider-web thingy sound like fungus to me. Post some photos or else it will be just guesswork. Also, you might like to share how you store your camera and usage patterns.

I'm using dry cabinet from just last month only. I also thought abt fungus but I'm not sure... Tell me what type of photos I will share for you all. & how to take those... Techniques to know is there fungus or not... I don't have that much experience, just newly photographer.

Thanks for the responses.

Please suggest me that where should i go for fungus cleaning of my Canon 1000d. Plz give me the address of best canon service center. Actually im new in Singapore. And how much will be the cost around to clean camera & lens both?

Thank you,

Please suggest me that where should i go for fungus cleaning of my Canon 1000d. Plz give me the address of best canon service center. Actually im new in Singapore. And how much will be the cost around to clean camera & lens both?

Thank you,

if its only your lens, its not worth cleaning. just buy another 18-55, its not that expensive.

if its your cam, then it will be costly if the fungus had attacked your sensor. may not worth changing too... cos might as well buy a new camera.

anyway there is only one canon service center in singapore.
Contact Us - Canon - Personal (see on the right)

Guys and gals, this are the conscequences for not investing in a dry box.

if TS is like what he said, new to sg... he may have come from a country where dry cabinet is not commonly used or not in need.

but sudden change of weather from where he came from to SG may have expedited (warm and humid) the fungus growth.

but yeah, in sg, u definitely need a dry cabinet cos of the weather and climate.

Thank you,

can pm fatique too! good and friendly service

Who is fatique? Sort i didn't get u...

Why should i purchase new 18-55mm lens ? Can't repair fungus of kit lens???

Thank you all for response..

Last edited:
Who is fatique? Sort i didn't get u...

Why should i purchase new 18-55mm lens ? Can't repair fungus of kit lens???

Thank you all for response..

if you check at the Buy and Sell section of this forum, a second hand 18-55mm lens will only cost you around $100-150, the cost of cleaning and servicing a lens may cost you close to or possibly more than that price, depending on how badly the fungus infected your lens, it may have caused some damage to the lens coating itself, and there is no guarantee that the fungus will not come back, of cause you can still go ahead and repair/service the lens, just not very worth it. :)

before that, may be you want to post a photo taken with the lens (at f22), or if possible, a photo of the lens showing the suspected fungus, or you can just go down to Canon Service Center for them to have a look and ask for a quotation. :)