Loose on New 50f1.8D Lens

bumperbees

Mar 17, 2008
Hi, I've post at D7000 Fall In just now but think it's good to start a new thread here.

Collect my free 50f1.8D Lens from Nikon today. Notice when turn the aperture ring to f1.8, it ring will click twice as compare to other aperture it's only one solid click.

Any cser's here face the same problem? I happen to be the 12th person to collect my len's from NSP.

Thanks and hope to see some solutions or suggestion or advise here.

No one here face such problem? Should I bring my Len's back to NSP to get it check or maybe replace?

Last edited:
Does it affect image quality in any way? If it really bothers u that much, go ahead and change with nsc, i'm sure they'll get it checked and get back to u..

On the other hand, if u tink it's ok and tink nothing much about it or too much a hassle..just leave it i guess? :)

One click is for f1.8, the other is for f2. Don't worry, it's not a flaw. It doesn't really matter for you anyway as your D7000 requires the aperture ring to be always locked at f22.

Hi thanks for reply, my lens is when turn to f1.8 position you can further turn slightly more which have another engage sound. Is that normal cos I first time use Nikon DSLR. Btw is it normal when I activate the aperture on the lens body, my camera will show FEE and the camera unable to take a photo?

Yes, the "double clicking" is normal for the 50mm f1.8D as the notch for f1.8 and f2 are very close together. Your D7000 controls the aperture electronically, that's why you get the error message when you unlock the aperture ring and turn to other f stops. You can only use the lens with the aperture ring set to f22 and locked down. Older Nikon film SLRs required you to rotate the aperture ring, but newer DSLRs like the D7000 control it in camera.

Last edited:
So I presume there's no problem with my lens, I was worried at first why the lens i get when turn all the way to the max at f1.8 still able to move slightly by a stop after f1.8. Thanks for the reply.

So I presume there's no problem with my lens, I was worried at first why the lens i get when turn all the way to the max at f1.8 still able to move slightly by a stop after f1.8. Thanks for the reply.

No problem. Just leave the aperture on your lens set to the minimum F22 (the orange colored one), then on above the aperture ring you will see a switch, push it down (or towards the camera mount) to lock it. Now your camera should not show FEE any more. You can control the aperture by using the dial on your camera.

Hope this helps.

Is this lens at f1.8 image soft (like not in focus)? I step down to f3.2 then I see it sharp, is it the lens behave this way

most lens at its widest (f/1.4 or f/1.8) is usually a little soft. but it should be sharp enough around f/2.2 for this lens.

Hi guys
Thanks for the advise, have just tried to step down the f-stop and find that the lens was shape from F2.2 onwards.
Was enjoying more and more using this lens, think will be in my body most of the time.

Hi guys
Thanks for the advise, have just tried to step down the f-stop and find that the lens was shape from F2.2 onwards.
Was enjoying more and more using this lens, think will be in my body most of the time.

How do you get it in there? Through your mouth? :eek:

ok jokes aside, if it's not sharp at f/1.8, either you have very high standards, or the lens really does mis-focus slightly.
My 50/1.8D is sharp enough for me @ f/1.8
But Depth of Field is very thin @ f/1.8, especially if focusing on near subject. Could be due to movement back or forth from focus plane causing mis-focus. Try testing using tripod.

D7000 also has AF fine-tune, if I'm not mistaken, if really the lens is mis-focusing slightly.