Loose ballhead

Bukitimah

Nov 28, 2010
Singapore
Hi, is there any web site that teaches people how to tighten ballhead? Basically, my tripod ballhead is ok but when I have heavier lens or tilt at a certain angle, it shifted when I leave my hand.
Can we open it to service or adjust? I have checked YouTube but nothing there

Every ball head has a maximum load to support. So which ball ead / tripod are you using and what is the weight of the camera + lens?

Bukitimah said:
Hi, is there any web site that teaches people how to tighten ballhead? Basically, my tripod ballhead is ok but when I have heavier lens or tilt at a certain angle, it shifted when I leave my hand.

What you experienced is call ball head creep. It means your setup is too heavy for your ball head. You need a stronger ball head. For the time being, you can try tightening your ball head a little more and hope it holds.

Last edited:
What you experienced is call ball head creep. It means your setup is too heavy for your ball head. You need a stronger ball head. For the time being, you can try tightening your ball head a little more and hope it holds.

Mind me asking? I'm currently on Sirui G10 ballhead...When I'm using my 500D with 22-250 on it, at max zoom, it seems to creep downwards almost after everyshot. Is it because it's too heavy? I'm pretty sure the it's tightened...

Some auntie in Cathay Photo once told me that overtightening ballheads can crack some mechanism within
I never overtighten my (Markins) ballhead since I never experienced the shifting issue even when off vertical
I dun stress load the ballhead near its max anyway
If it is still slipping bad, there is probably something wrong with the tension control
Other than sending it for servicing, u can probably look for a better ballhead

Ryan

I had the same problem with a tripod i bought 2nd hand last time…at first i thought it's because my gear was too heavy but i went to try a brand new one and it worked…so i knew i had a faulty ball head…
My temp solution was to stick a thin rubber inside so there's more grip..it worked well…but once the ebbed came loose, same problem occurred..
Bottom line, had to buy a new ball head...

Some auntie in Cathay Photo once told me that overtightening ballheads can crack some mechanism within
I never overtighten my (Markins) ballhead since I never experienced the shifting issue even when off vertical
I dun stress load the ballhead near its max anyway
If it is still slipping bad, there is probably something wrong with the tension control
Other than sending it for servicing, u can probably look for a better ballhead

Ryan

Yes, there is possibility of cracking the teflon ring in the ball head. But every ballhead is different, some do not have the teflon ring.

Mind me asking? I'm currently on Sirui G10 ballhead...When I'm using my 500D with 22-250 on it, at max zoom, it seems to creep downwards almost after everyshot. Is it because it's too heavy? I'm pretty sure the it's tightened...

22-250? I never seen that lens. But if the lens is heavy, it will creep.

G10 is not a particularly strong BH, but normal lenses should hold up fine... I mounted D300s with Tokina 11-16 with filters... and it was fine.

That's why I like my pan head. No creeping at all and each screw only supports one tilting axis.

hiaz...with the creeping, very hard to do time lapse kinda effect.

I had the same problem with a tripod i bought 2nd hand last time…at first i thought it's because my gear was too heavy but i went to try a brand new one and it worked…so i knew i had a faulty ball head…
My temp solution was to stick a thin rubber inside so there's more grip..it worked well…but once the ebbed came loose, same problem occurred..
Bottom line, had to buy a new ball head...

I actually didn't check the weight but surely if it is too heavy, it will unbalance and may topple. It should not shift down right? Mine is the clamp on type and I just feel that the clamp is just not tight enough. I have thought of adding a thin padding to improve the friction but not sure how to insert it. I believe we should be able to remove the ball to add the padding. The assembly should be from bottom up but there is no web site to give any guide. :angry:

Bukitimah said:
I actually didn't check the weight but surely if it is too heavy, it will unbalance and may topple. It should not shift down right? Mine is the clamp on type and I just feel that the clamp is just not tight enough. I have thought of adding a thin padding to improve the friction but not sure how to insert it. I believe we should be able to remove the ball to add the padding. The assembly should be from bottom up but there is no web site to give any guide. :angry:

It will creep slowly. Usually won't topple unless you don't tighten at all. Get a good ballhead with a good weight rating. It's worth the money if in the long run you're planning to go into long lenses. You'll never know when you'd want to go into birding... :bsmilie:

It will creep slowly. Usually won't topple unless you don't tighten at all. Get a good ballhead with a good weight rating. It's worth the money if in the long run you're planning to go into long lenses. You'll never know when you'd want to go into birding... :bsmilie:

Yeah I know. I am one of those stubborn old man that just do not give up so easily. The design of the ball head grip should be able to take the maximum weight the tripod can hold. :thumbsd: I didn't like the other type where they have a screw in there to hold the ball head.

OK, let me to a little project tomorrow and will report if I have fix this. :sweat:

Don't need birding to get a good ballhead....even for a series of sunset shots will require one....did one last month and it keep creeping every 2-3 shots. Not sure if my 500d + 55-250 too heavy for my Sirui G10 or wat.

you see Sirui G10 is a professional ball head! This grip method is subject to dirt and oil and maybe since both surface are smooth make it worse. :nono:

SkyStrike said:
Don't need birding to get a good ballhead....even for a series of sunset shots will require one....did one last month and it keep creeping every 2-3 shots. Not sure if my 500d + 55-250 too heavy for my Sirui G10 or wat.

Need at least g20 ballhead. G10 is more for normal kit lens type weight lenses... :x or go for k20 ballhead.

Need at least g20 ballhead. G10 is more for normal kit lens type weight lenses... :x or go for k20 ballhead.

sigh....BBB again :cry:.. K20, a BH that cost as much as the legs (using T1004 now).

Will consider this as an option....ran out of budget for this period of time already. Meanwhile, tahan with the G10 for now. Well at least it works perfectly for my other lens, but only issue is, the only lens which I use it on creeps -_-"'

Last edited:
SkyStrike said:
sigh....BBB again :cry:.. K20, a BH that cost as much as the legs (using T1004 now).

Will consider this as an option....ran out of budget for this period of time already. Meanwhile, tahan with the G10 for now. Well at least it works perfectly for my other lens, but only issue is, the only lens which I use it on creeps -_-"'

T1004 is more for traveling etc. Tk recommended this? Should have gone straight for 2204/5 with the lens you're using..