Looking to improve my Portraits Skill from Critique and Comments

andysim65

Apr 8, 2010
7473691636_2007ef2b9e_z.jpg
[/url] Studio Session-127-Edit by andysim65, on Flickr[/IMG]

1.in which area is critique or feedback to be given?
Any form of Critique or comments that can help me to improve.

2.what were you hoping to achieve with this image?
For this picture i was trying make the model look good in the picture so that she will like it,also trying to achieve what a basic portraits shot should be.

3. under what circumstance was the picture taken?(physical conditions/emotions)
it was taken using a Nikon D3 with a Nippon Kogaku 50mm F2 Non-AI lens, camera on manual mode, lens too on manual focus,with 1 beauty dish on the right, 1 softbox on the left and 2 continous light acting is hair light.

4.thread-starter's personal thoughts about the image.
i like the nikon non-ai lens suprisingly is sharp , but is a not easy lens to use everything have to be manual,hope that the skin tone is ok to the expert expectation.Thanks to everyone in advance.

Color tone is quite nice except for the croppin of the arms...just my 2 cents

jed091270 said:
Color tone is quite nice except for the croppin of the arms...just my 2 cents

Thanks, at least u comment

not much experience with portraits and studio lighting heh so just my 0.2 cents ;)

I feel the skin tone on the face looks a bit too smooth... causing the cheek bone and nose to be not well defined
and personally I keep getting distracted by the butterfly on the right eye hehe...

(lighting wise does not look achieveable by me in the near future haha...)

thanks for sharing! :)

Last edited:
Overall it looks ok, just the the expression of the model doesn't look good

For me, it's 2 things
1) The face is over PP..looks too plastic..it's quite obvious difference between the face and the arms.
2) Chopping off both arms at the same spot…it would've been better if at least 1 arm was seen in the frame. Or if maybe the model was sitting tilted at an angle so she can at least pose 1 arm in the frame? Usually for me when i do straight on shots, it'll be just face+bust or just face or half body, this is really neither here nor there.

But other than that..the lighting is perfect, the sharpness is perfect…just the framing isn't very "appealing", model shouldn't look so uninterested..but that's not your fault :) I dunno why these days, people don't like smiling models…i do..

not much experience with portraits and studio lighting heh so just my 0.2 cents ;)

I feel the skin tone on the face looks a bit too smooth... causing the cheek bone and nose to be not well defined
and personally I keep getting distracted by the butterfly on the right eye hehe...

(lighting wise does not look achieveable by me in the near future haha...)

thanks for sharing! :)

the butterfly is a false eyelashes is just to add a little interest to the picture. Thanks for the comment.

Overall it looks ok, just the the expression of the model doesn't look good

oh ya she just look too serious in this pic , but in other picture she is ok.

For me, it's 2 things
1) The face is over PP..looks too plastic..it's quite obvious difference between the face and the arms.
2) Chopping off both arms at the same spot…it would've been better if at least 1 arm was seen in the frame. Or if maybe the model was sitting tilted at an angle so she can at least pose 1 arm in the frame? Usually for me when i do straight on shots, it'll be just face+bust or just face or half body, this is really neither here nor there.

But other than that..the lighting is perfect, the sharpness is perfect…just the framing isn't very "appealing", model shouldn't look so uninterested..but that's not your fault :) I dunno why these days, people don't like smiling models…i do..

i did PP the arm too, for point 2 i did have other pic with arm sometime 1 and other 2 is just this pic i did not include but is nice to point it out so at least i know it did not work out.For model she is not interested in photoshoot but i force her to do so ,that why she don't look happy.

thank everyone for the comment , i already learn a few thing from the comment

the photo looks slightly disproportionate to me...cropping off a bit of the model's head and adjusting the aspect ratio of the image slightly will help.
7519003408_cb97ab8513_o.jpg

cropping off the top of the head did make it better :)

the photo looks slightly disproportionate to me...cropping off a bit of the model's head and adjusting the aspect ratio of the image slightly will help.
7519003408_cb97ab8513_o.jpg

after cropping composition is better , but the model look fatter to me

after cropping composition is better , but the model look fatter to me

my bad....inadvertently made the model look fatter in my last post....
7524099650_671db2ec85_o.jpg

Last edited:
my bad....inadvertently made the model look fatter in my last post....
7524099650_671db2ec85_o.jpg

yes this one is perfect :thumbsup: