Looking to connect with pro photographers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadou

Oct 10, 2004
The World is my home
Hi,

I would like to connect with other professional photographers who do this for a living. I'm a photographer myself but I've been taking photos now for more than 10 years, mainly as a hobby. I'm looking at the possibility of turning my talents into a full time career as I'm getting sick and tired of the same old 9-5 routine. I would love to meet up and talk to other photographers who do this full time as any advice or comments would be a great help.

Thanks so much to anyone who can point me in the right direction.

Cheers,

Todd

Maybe you like to put your portfolio online and see what comes along. In that way you still keep your routine job for now. Then who knows you might get noticed and one day you be a somebody :)

Thanks for the advice. Can you recommend a site that I can use to get my portfolio online? Also it would be great if I could actually meet up with a pro photographer so I could ask some questions in regards to doing this as a full time career. Thanks for your help.

keep your day job....until u are sure that photography can be your bread and butter...

Well.. for the start.. you'll have very little business and therefore little income..
When and if you manage to make it.. you'll have too much business and basically no life...

Is this what you want?

Unless you have enough money saved up, don't do it.

I can tell you for sure that the first few months or years will be horribly painful as cash only flys out but never in.

If you believe you have enough talent not only as a photographer but in marketing as well, then go for it, if you don't then I suggest you keep your job and keep photography as a hobby.

You know the one thing that will kill a hobby is to make it your career...

If you think working 9-5 is bad, look at me, I work 10am to 5am at times, 7 days a week, holidays included. Of course it does has it's perks but believe me it will get to you...

Take care bro, all the best in whatever decision you make!

This sounds like the grass is greener on the other side situation. If you have never been your own boss you need to ask yourself the question what do you do for the first 6 months when the income stream drops significantly from what you get from your day job ? Asuming your day job pays you say 2 to 4K a month - turning pro overnight does not guarantee you any stable income. <p>

When there is nothing to shoot and handover there is no income comming in. Month end is not pay day. The bigger your pay check the less likely photography is gonna to equal that unless you can overnight be as good say as John Clang, Geoff Ang and have market rep as strong - note no insult to you but likelyhood of this happening is 1 chance out of 10 unless you have fairy godmothers or godfathers who can push you up fast and you have the skills and insticts to stay up.<p>

Not knowing if you have even shot for pay before - can you work under pressure ? The unforgiving nature of the job is no pictures come back no pay and lots of compliants about you to all the job owner knows. The bigger the screw up the louder the sounds. An screw up will occur even with pros - the differnece is they can minimise the issue and hopefully reverse the situation all within the shoot itself. That is probably the true mark of a pro - picures will come back no matter what happend....no ifs no buts.

Don't think there are many people out there who are qualified enough to point to you the right direction since you have over 10 years of experience. It is also weird on your part if you have no idea about the photography industry with your over 10 years experience. But if you just wish to leave your current 9-5 job and try becoming a photographer, it will just be another routine job. It will be a routinely irregular hours, having your life under the mercy of your customers unless you have the guts to turn your customers away. :angel:

quote:

"the only regrets in life are the risk u never take.."

just do it..

willyfoo said:
Well.. for the start.. you'll have very little business and therefore little income..
When and if you manage to make it.. you'll have too much business and basically no life...

Is this what you want?

:bsmilie:

kex said:
quote:

just do it..

I agree with kex ...

" You will never know it until you do it yourself ... And you will never be satisfied until you have done it .... "

What the other people said is also true .... it is going to be tough ... But go ahead take the plunge if you are ready and you have the support of your loved ones ... Worst that can happen ... after six months, you go back to your 9-5 job ... :think:

willyfoo said:

Is this what you want?
MAUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHahahhahaha

shut up willy.. don't pitcha our lobangs!!!!

The first thing, you must get your family to support you all the way at the initial stage of your business.

Second things, you must be a self motived, proactive and with strong self disciplined person, in order to run you own business.

Third things, you must get used to work very hard and long hours, very little personal time, put you hobby and interests at the last priority.

The initial years are very tough, almost 9 out of 10 photographers gave up with in first or second years, but don't worry, if can endure after third years, you will get use to it.

Good luck.

It is tough life, most of the time you shoot what other people want not what you want. Money is good but they never stay, as there always new things to get. You can be talented but you must be strong in your marketing skill as well. Most of the time you worry, when there alot of business you worry about dateline, no life and no love. When there alot of time in hand you worry why no business, when is the next cheq coming and how to get more business. That a part and parcel of professional. There a saying I knew it too late, it go: "Too much of a good thing is a bad thing";)

kex said:
quote:

just do it..

While I agree with this, you have to consider the people around you, assuming you have a family to support, will that sudden lack of stable income affect you in any way? to me that will come first before I take such risks...

i went the other way and decided to keep photography as a hobby
that way the passion that I have for photography is kept alive

I shoot for myself

and occasionally for others.

You must be speaking from experience :cool:

willyfoo said:

Is this what you want?

I M A FULLTIME photographer more than 20 yrs idon!t have any mode to take mine foto if time change hobby is hobby job is job don!t let the hobby be your career think carefull bros

Status
Not open for further replies.