Looking to buy a new camera w interchangeable lens.. Need advice!

BombermanX

Sep 1, 2011
Hi,

Seeking help to decide on which camera to buy..

I'm all along Canon supporter. My last one was S95.

Actually the S95 served me well, like all my previous Canons (diehard canon fan aft a disappointing exp with a Pan in between).. With the mirrorless cameras getting increasingly popular plus I'm looking to take slightly 'more pro' pics, I'm looking to get one now..

The few ones that I know off it the Oly EP3, Sony nex5 n I know Nikon also recently released 1 or 2 such models.

Probably, if Canon build such cameras, I wouldn't think so much! Lol! Anyone knows if Canon plans to release such range soon?

Wanted to jump on ep3 alr then someone told me the sensors' not as fantastic.. But its auto-focusing like not bad.. Then was Sony was recommended to me.. So I'm getting bit confuse now..

I'm actually not a pro.. In fact far fm tt! But just wish to take nice pics when I go overseas, n also nice pics of my child. So I need pretty fast focusing in this aspect.. Color quality is also my concern.. So far none of my Canons failed me.. The prints wherever I get them printed, looks the best to me, comparing with similar point n shoot of course. Some point n shoot produce bluish tones which I dun like.. Few of my friends also switched to Canon after we compare prints. Omg! I'm all praises of Canon! Sorry bout it.. Am still looking to buy new cam despite tt.. So These are mainly my requirements - fast focusing for active kids, good nite scenery shots n true colored print. Any good recommendation?

Been reading reviews on the net but get more confused each time.. Hope peeps here able to help! Thanks in advance!

Most canon point and shoots use Sony sensors... So get the NEX. ;)

The NEX has a large APS-C sensor, tilting LCD screen, and lots of shoot modes like handheld twilight, etc.

However, they are lacking a wide range of lenses (for now), and since the sensor is larger, the lenses are larger. So you may want to consider the Oly and panasonic m4/3 cameras too, they may give you a balance that you want.

Hi,

Seeking help to decide on which camera to buy..

I'm all along Canon supporter. My last one was S95.

Actually the S95 served me well, like all my previous Canons (diehard canon fan aft a disappointing exp with a Pan in between).. With the mirrorless cameras getting increasingly popular plus I'm looking to take slightly 'more pro' pics, I'm looking to get one now..

The few ones that I know off it the Oly EP3, Sony nex5 n I know Nikon also recently released 1 or 2 such models.

Probably, if Canon build such cameras, I wouldn't think so much! Lol! Anyone knows if Canon plans to release such range soon?

Wanted to jump on ep3 alr then someone told me the sensors' not as fantastic.. But its auto-focusing like not bad.. Then was Sony was recommended to me.. So I'm getting bit confuse now..

I'm actually not a pro.. In fact far fm tt! But just wish to take nice pics when I go overseas, n also nice pics of my child. So I need pretty fast focusing in this aspect.. Color quality is also my concern.. So far none of my Canons failed me.. The prints wherever I get them printed, looks the best to me, comparing with similar point n shoot of course. Some point n shoot produce bluish tones which I dun like.. Few of my friends also switched to Canon after we compare prints. Omg! I'm all praises of Canon! Sorry bout it.. Am still looking to buy new cam despite tt.. So These are mainly my requirements - fast focusing for active kids, good nite scenery shots n true colored print. Any good recommendation?

Been reading reviews on the net but get more confused each time.. Hope peeps here able to help! Thanks in advance!

For mirrorless camera, there are a few brands doing it...

Current model

1) Olympus - EP3, EPL3 and EPM1
2) Panasonic - GH-series (GH-2, if I am not wrong), GF-3
3) Sony - NEX series
4) Samsung (don't know what is the name of the series)
5) Nikon - 1 series (2 models)
6) Pentax - Pentax Q

All of them are good in their own way and what you heard about Olympus' sensor not that fantastic is total rubbish. They have very very good sensor. I just used the EPL1 on a shoot and is very impress by its picture quality as well as fast focusing (yes... it is fast).

Of course Sony and Samsung boast bigger sensors as compared to the rest of the competition in the mirrorless market and I would except cleaner and better noise control at high ISO. But in my opinion, NEX and Samsung (whatever the model) will not be my choice camera. For a mirrorless, I like the feel and form of the Olympus. And so far my Olympus and Canon served me very very well.

It is all up to you, go down to the shops and have a feel of the cameras then choose the one you like best. Image Quality wise, they are all excellent.

Plus your S95 should be good enough for you to take pro-like pictures. And if you can wait, you might want to try the S100... or try up Olympus XZ-1 (fabulous reviews... fast lens and great image quality).

If you really wanted a interchangeable lens camera (mirrorless), you can consider getting the Olympus EPL1, because it is going at an unbeatable price of around S$450 (I think) with kit lens.

Last edited:
rhino123 said:
For mirrorless camera, there are a few brands doing it...

Current model

1) Olympus - EP3, EPL3 and EPM1
2) Panasonic - GH-series (GH-2, if I am not wrong), GF-3
3) Sony - NEX series
4) Samsung (don't know what is the name of the series)
5) Nikon - 1 series (2 models)
6) Pentax - Pentax Q

All of them are good in their own way and what you heard about Olympus' sensor not that fantastic is total rubbish. They have very very good sensor. I just used the EPL1 on a shoot and is very impress by its picture quality as well as fast focusing (yes... it is fast).

Of course Sony and Samsung boast bigger sensors as compared to the rest of the competition in the mirrorless market and I would except cleaner and better noise control at high ISO. But in my opinion, NEX and Samsung (whatever the model) will not be my choice camera. For a mirrorless, I like the feel and form of the Olympus. And so far my Olympus and Canon served me very very well.

It is all up to you, go down to the shops and have a feel of the cameras then choose the one you like best. Image Quality wise, they are all excellent.

Plus your S95 should be good enough for you to take pro-like pictures. And if you can wait, you might want to try the S100... or try up Olympus XZ-1 (fabulous reviews... fast lens and great image quality).

If you really wanted a interchangeable lens camera (mirrorless), you can consider getting the Olympus EPL1, because it is going at an unbeatable price of around S$450 (I think) with kit lens.

Thanks so much for all the info! Acty am a little anti-Sony.. too... Lolz!!

Sorry i have some questions if you dun mind.. Will I see alot of difference in picture quality comparing with my S95 n a mirrorless? Will a mirror less be a lot harder to use? Thanks in advance!

Rashkae said:
Most canon point and shoots use Sony sensors... So get the NEX. ;)

The NEX has a large APS-C sensor, tilting LCD screen, and lots of shoot modes like handheld twilight, etc.

However, they are lacking a wide range of lenses (for now), and since the sensor is larger, the lenses are larger. So you may want to consider the Oly and panasonic m4/3 cameras too, they may give you a balance that you want.

Oic.. Thanks for the info! Being a little anti-Sony, my 1st reaction when asked to get it was a no-no. But as I see the reviews.. I was a little shaken acty..

Am gonna hit the stores to have a good feel on the few models.

My aim is to get one by mid nov.. ;)

Just get the m4/3 from either Olympus or Panasonic.

The comment on EP3 sensor being not good is rubbish. Its good enough for most purposes as most cameras are nowadays.
There is just lots of unrealistic expectations out there regarding the need for high ISO performance.
As long as you are not using the camera to make a documentary about the mating habits of nocturnal animals, most camera sensor performance is fine.
Use a flash when necessary and learn to use it well.
Olympus is well known for rich, pleasing colors for its out of camera JPEGs.

In terms of small, light and good performing lenses on mirrorless systems, I do think that the m4/3 cameras are better positioned at the moment than any of their rivals other than perhaps Samsung (oddly.. )

One thing though, most ppl mention taking photos of their child as one of the main reasons for getting a new camera.
Expectations need to be realistic. A lot of such shots is done indoors in questionable lighting with a subject that moves like the Tasmanian Devil. It is very hard on any camera system.
The way to improve the quality of such shots and the chances of success is not only a better camera, but raising the odds for a good photo. That means, getting better lighting (turn on the lights), anticipate the shot, use flash if necessary, etc.

Gd luck on your camera hunt :)

Since you're a Canon fan, you should consider the Nikon 1. ;) Fujifilm is rumored to be coming out with their own mirrorless in 2012 too.

As for Canon, there is no official news, but there is some rumor they may release something 'small'.

Jul 20, 2010 - Today, Canon Japan’s Image Communication Products head Masaya Maeda said that Canon is working on a smaller version SLR to be released in the near future. In an interview with Reuters, Maeda said the idea behind the small SLR is that it could compete with Nikon’s future mirrorless system and other existing EVIL systems that are inherently more compact than most current mid-level DSLRs.

Maeda did not reveal whether the new Canon camera would include a mirror, but he suggested that the company has their focus elsewhere. Maeda said: "It’s not a question of whether or not you have a mirror. There is a consumer need for good-quality cameras to be made smaller … We will meet this need."

Jul 5, 2011 - "We are considering the technical aspects," Maeda said, when asked about the mirrorless segment.

"We will launch an interesting product next year," he said, adding that it would be small, but not specifying whether it would be a mirrorless model.

So there may be a 'small and interesting' Canon camera next year. Maybe that's why there's no G13 this year?

All info are rumours only, of course.

Oic.. Thanks for the info! Being a little anti-Sony, my 1st reaction when asked to get it was a no-no. But as I see the reviews.. I was a little shaken acty..

Always keep a fresh and open mind. Even if you want to be "anti-sony" you should have some logical reasons for that, and thus be able to logically (and thus impartially) examine new products for their feature set.

Thanks so much for all the info! Acty am a little anti-Sony.. too... Lolz!!

Sorry i have some questions if you dun mind.. Will I see alot of difference in picture quality comparing with my S95 n a mirrorless? Will a mirror less be a lot harder to use? Thanks in advance!

I used a LX-3 once, is quite please with the result... then I ichy hand and go into DSLR... there was no going back now... too hooked. Anyway, I got the mirrorless for my dad and mom bcos they want something small and light... but ended up, I am the one using it.

I would say that if you know how to use the camera, even the S95 can produce very good image. But noise wise, I believe the mirrorless will be better off as compared to the small sensored PnS. As to ease of use... the mirrorless (at least Olympus one - not too sure about the rest, haven't have too much time with them) are very easy to use, indeed. And is very light... I can go on for hours in the street without feeling strain to my arms and legs... unlike the using my 7D.

It is enjoyable.

I read reviews of E-PL1 being slow in AF... but with the new m.zuiko 40-150mm lens, AF is very fast. The only issue I have is that there is a slight time lapse in between shots (not as fast as my 7D)...

Hmm.. Since you're a die hard Canon fans (like me LOL), you can try to consider Canon's prosumer range like Powershot G12 (Review here http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/CanonG12/ )

When I bought my Canon 60D, I was fully aware that at that price range Nikon offers dSLR with better sensor (at least in term of noise handling). But I decided to go with Canon anyway since I'm already familiar with the controls & menu structures etc. This help me to change camera settings & taking shots quickly.

I might be wrong, but well... that's just me & my 2 cents =)

Happy hunting!

* Edit: sorry I just re-read the thread title and said you want an interchangeable lens camera.. G12 is not.. paiseh *

Last edited:
My advise to you TS... don't be anti anything. Seriously. You will only limit your own choices that way... although I don't like NEX, it is not because I don't like Sony's product as a whole. I just don't feel comfortable with its control and ergonomic (it is a very personal feel, that is difficult to explain). In actual fact, I don't feel comfortable with Nikon too... so I choose Canon.

(PS. Nikon did not have a better sensor as compared to Canon, and Canon do not have one that is better than the other brands. They each have their own strong points... and yes Nikon, Sony and Pentax have better noise control - if you pixel peek).

Go try them out...the feel of handling is impt too..and also convenience of bring your camera out.

Thank you all for the valuable info! Seems like oly's the way to go! I'm sure its gonna make my decision making a much easier process! =)

Hi all,

Know wad? I landed on a White Pen EPL3!! Hope its a rite decision..

Happy with it so far, needa master more skills with it!

Congrats! Enjoy yourself with your new buy :) the oly pens are very capable little cameras. Use it well and you can produce very very good images.

Hi all,

Know wad? I landed on a White Pen EPL3!! Hope its a rite decision..

Happy with it so far, needa master more skills with it!

Good for you... I am sure you have made the right decision.

Up till now I was using my E-PL1 now and then if I do not feel like lugging my 7D around :)