Looking for upgrade

khsay

Sep 29, 2010
I just sold my lumix LX3... looking into DSLR...
based on my budget... i am looking at two cams in particular...

the older
Canon 7D
and the lastest
nikon D7000

Which one would u guys recommend? Is 7D going to have a new model since canon launch 60D not long ago...?

nikkon D7000 reviews is rave too...!

the older
Canon 7D
and the lastest
nikon D7000

Which one would u guys recommend? Is 7D going to have a new model since canon launch 60D not long ago...?

Wait for the D7000 to reach sg, then go to a shop and try both cameras out, see which one you like better.

the older
Canon 7D
and the lastest
nikon D7000

1 is a semi-pro model and the other is a beginner's model.

Up to you actually. :)

Wait for the D7000 to reach sg, then go to a shop and try both cameras out, see which one you like better.

seconded this.

i think if u're not in a hurry just wait till D7000 showed up on the nikon's showroom and test it, right now just test the 7D first, both are semi-pro level cam, also D7000 is smaller and lighter by a bit compare to 7D

seconded this.

i think if u're not in a hurry just wait till D7000 showed up on the nikon's showroom and test it, right now just test the 7D first, both are semi-pro level cam, also D7000 is smaller and lighter by a bit compare to 7D

Semi-pro models use CF cards. Beginner models uses SD cards. :)

Semi-pro models use CF cards. Beginner models uses SD cards. :)

so same body alloy, same more than average AF point, same crop body sensor(somewhat nikon got bigger sensor), almost same MP count, the only thing that differentiate a semi pro and a beginer level is the storage format only??(don't mean to be sarcastic just confuse on how people brand a model to be semi pro or beginer :D)

so same body alloy, same more than average AF point, same crop body sensor(somewhat nikon got bigger sensor), almost same MP count, the only thing that differentiate a semi pro and a beginer level is the storage format only??(don't mean to be sarcastic just confuse on how people brand a model to be semi pro or beginer :D)

The specs on a semi-pro level camera would be better too. A Canon 7D would be on the same level of a Nikon D300s. You might say that the specs are not that different but I think you can tell when the D300s replacement comes onto the market.

Take in consideration the initial investment you can buy for the body and len too...and future ..before select..

Note that they actually degrade it enough to make it slightly lower end than a D300s. It's more of a beginners' series (Nikon actually numbers their cameras such that the 3 digit cameras are of the semi pros and the beginner series is 4 digit.) When they will change this is anyone's guess. But somehow, I personally feel that a semi-pro is meant for more serious users and they normally set it such that it uses CF cards which can be a backup to the single digit series (pro cameras)

SD cards are meant for the transition users which largely have progressed on from a PnS or prosumer.

D7000 is not a full alloy body if you read carefully. top and back plates I believe.

Both body are good and chances are you will be happy with either.
Just which eco-system do you prefer? The C camp or the friendly, helpful, welcoming Nikon camp. =P I am biased. But seriously both are good. If you have more Nikon friends.... then can borrow lens and try out mah.
Don't worry too much about semi-pro or beginner or pro.... as long as it gives you the shots that you want. LX3 is a good PnS but even if you upgrade to D90 or D300, you will see much differences (the sensor size is so different). So even a beginner DSLR is a major upgrade to the LX3. Patience is virtue.

You really need to hold and try the different camera bodies. If you're not in a rush, wait for the D7000 and try it out before making a decision.

These days all the cameras are pretty good and in the right hands can give outstanding images.

thks all bro for ur advice.

I would like to ask if Canon 7D is like going to phase out by a newer model... cos it is like been ard for a long like... aka Canon 60D just had a new model!

imho, technology is moving so fast now, that it's being replaced so quickly. i've seen great shots from even older models of camera, but they still look good.
it's not about the age of the technology.

anyway, i feel 60d is targetting a different group from 7d.

hahaha the 2 sd card slot is so funni

I would like to ask if Canon 7D is like going to phase out by a newer model... cos it is like been ard for a long like... aka Canon 60D just had a new model!

then better wait a year for 8D...

or u can buy the current model and start shooting...:dunno:

If you want the best technology can offer. It is best you wait two more years before considering to buy any camera. That way, you will be looking forward and not lose out. ;) :bsmilie: