Looking for Ultracompact: 5x optical zoom, 720p HD Movie Recording (H.264 / MPEG-4)

u0206397

Jul 15, 2009
I'm looking for the best ultra compact that has SD/microSD slot, 14MP (or below), 5x optical zoom, and with 720p HD Movie Recording (H.264 / MPEG-4). Trying to avoid MJPEG encoding.

Seems to me Fujifilm, Casio, Samsung, Sony, Olympus, Canon and Panasonic may have something, e.g. Fujifilm JX series and Olympus VG-130.

What's the best you would recommend or suggest? Thanks.

you've practically listed all the common brands.

you don't need to specify MicroSD. Adaptors in the shape and size of SD cards allow you to place your Micro SD cards into your camera, although they'll be slower at reading.

and practically almost all cameras have the same specs these days. but on the top you have only a few

you can have the best compact, but it's up to you to create the images that have an impact on the viewers.

your image quality might be the best, but if your composition skills are not there, your picture will still be bland.

some of the cameras are the Canon S100, Sony HX9V. or you could look for a Canon G12

How about Leica V-Lux 30? :lovegrin:
- SD card slot... check
- 5x optical zoom.... exceeded with 16x zoom
- 14 megapixels... check
- MPEG-4 video recording at 720p ... exceeded with 1920 x 1080 @ 60 fps

yes, Canon S100 is very good. I just got mine and started using. quite decent camera with all features packed in ..

if you want the smallest camera with your specs at the expense of some IQ.... you can also check out the Canon Ixus 220HS.