Looking for typical Singapore family for Dutch TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

hongsien

Mar 11, 2002
Hong Kong
Visit site
Hi,

My niece from Holland is working for the VPRO TV channel in Holland, and they will be visiting Singapore for a week next week........

They asked me if I could find a typical Singapore family that they can portrait, what they want to show is the Singapore (economical/social) model and having a Singapore family on the series is a good way how Singaporans live within the system here.

I think a typical Singapore is one living in a HDB, not in a big house at Bukit Timah :bsmilie::bsmilie:

If you and your family are willing to be followed one day in your life, or if you know some family that is willing to do that, let me know, thanks!

Hong Sien

Hi....

Would like to know why don't your niece don't chose your own family..... are you not a typical Singapore family ?? :think:

Living in a big house at Bukit Timah doesn't make you any less 'typical' then those living inside a small HDB flat.

Last edited:
typical as defined by the TV station.

maybe a middle, middle class family living in a 5-room HDB of any given location should be ideal?

What's a "typical" ? Judging from ts's query, i believe it's the majority, and majority of typical singaporeans live in hdb, therefore he's looking in that area. Maybe heartlander to be more precise.

Maybe specify an income range group? Monthly income of the entire family around $600-$1500 ? There's a lot of those families here. :sweat:

What's a "typical" ? Judging from ts's query, i believe it's the majority, and majority of typical singaporeans live in hdb, therefore he's looking in that area. Maybe heartlander to be more precise.

Maybe specify an income range group? Monthly income of the entire family around $600-$1500 ? There's a lot of those families here. :sweat:

Then TS should state that his/her niece is lookin for low in-come earner..... :sweat:

Yes.... most S'porean do live in HDB. But are all those living inside HDB one and the same ?? :think: Like - sORe-EyEz - said.... is TS looking for a defined by the TV station, "typical". :think:

TS.... what is the "typical-ness" your niece is looking for....

You mean something like Tan Ah Teck and Dolly? Or it is Phua Chu Kang and Rosie? Lee Tok Kong and Lily maybe?

Last edited:
Then TS should state that his/her niece is lookin for low in-come earner..... :sweat:

Yes.... most S'porean do live in HDB. But are all those living inside HDB one and the same ?? :think: Like - sORe-EyEz - said.... is TS looking for a defined by the TV station, "typical". :think:

TS.... what is the "typical-ness" your niece is looking for....

Not necessary all people staying in HDB is low-income earner mah ... I know of people earning 5 figures stay in 3 or 4 room HDB. ;-)

Look at how many people stay in condo and own big and impressive car - and every month they are poor like crap because they have to continually slave to pay their installments! Would they be considered well-to-do or poor?

Last edited:
Yes, with 'typical' they mean how the majority live in Singapore. Offcourse those at Bukit timah are also Singaporeans, but they are not typical, as in average Singapore family, cause maybe only 5-10% live in landed property.

They will be interviewing many people from the government, so they wanted to have a real view too of the life here.......................

HS

Yes, with 'typical' they mean how the majority live in Singapore. Offcourse those at Bukit timah are also Singaporeans, but they are not typical, as in average Singapore family, cause maybe only 5-10% live in landed property.

They will be interviewing many people from the government, so they wanted to have a real view too of the life here.......................

HS

I can't help but have a good chuckle because of the last claim. :bsmilie:

Firstly, 'typical' is problematic since different people typify people differently. A typical media portrayal of Singapore is often upper-middle class. A typical heartland perspective of Singapore is (maybe, possibly) one who lives in a HDB, two kids and a saloon car to boot. A typical nationalist understanding of Singapore is 'multicultural', 'multiracial' ... but lets not go there.

Since your niece is looking to have a "real view of life" in Singapore, I suggest first considering that there are a handful of people who live like that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-guxHFyz2A . so, a "real view" understanding of Singapore is then again polemic. But since there will be "many people from the government" also involved in the program I guess quite 'typically' the media would want to go for a middle-class perspective...

Sorry for being quarrelsome. I think it is simply good to know what the objective / topic of the show is in order to offer a salient understanding of 'typical'.

HS

so i guess they will get the correct version of the typical sg family in singapore? :bsmilie:

Not necessary all people staying in HDB is low-income earner mah ... I know of people earning 5 figures stay in 3 or 4 room HDB. ;-)

Look at how many people stay in condo and own big and impressive car - and every month they are poor like crap because they have to continually slave to pay their installments! Would they be considered well-to-do or poor?

I wasn't saying that those living in HDB is low income earner.... I live in a 4room HDB too. I'm refering to Mod - sbs99 - income limit of $600-$1500 . Middle income is define by those who earn $2K and above.

I'm more interested in how the TS define what is a 'typical Singapore family'.....

Does that include -
* A Car
* Married
* Children
* Maid
* Elderly parent staying in the house
* etc... etc.

Not everyone is married, have a Car (wants a car), have children or maid or even have elderly parents stay with them..... :think:

I'm refering to Mod

no need to mention my status leh, im posting like any other normal member of the forum. Later people say i shouldn't post this or that. :bsmilie:

someone mentioned about "media portrayal"...so that's my jibe, the correct "typical" , but then again, any other form, people will still say "like that meh? not accurate!" haaa

i think maybe Ts should suggest go interview around a fair number of families to get a balanced view? :thumbsup:

no need to mention my status leh, im posting like any other normal member of the forum. Later people say i shouldn't post this or that. :bsmilie:

someone mentioned about "media portrayal"...so that's my jibe, the correct "typical" , but then again, any other form, people will still say "like that meh? not accurate!" haaa

i think maybe Ts should suggest go interview around a fair number of families to get a balanced view? :thumbsup:

I'm wondering is this 'Holland' media team here to do a fair interview..... or join the other hundreds of western Media here to tell us how 'un-democratic' we are..... some sort of 'Witch-hunt' or something. :sweat:

I'm wondering is this 'Holland' media team here to do a fair interview..... or join the other hundreds of western Media here to tell us how 'un-democratic' we are..... some sort of 'Witch-hunt' or something. :sweat:
I think because of the teams many interviews with the government they would like to have a more 'realistic' view of life here, they are I think aware that when you talk to government they will always show them the 'best' and they will mostly talk about the economics and infrastructure, business, but they want to show the real singapore too..........

Come on, show the world (well at least Holland first) what living in Singapore means for the majority!

I am not a Singaporean, and I am old 94 years and single, so not really 'typical', I am just a typical Ah Pek!

HS

I think because of the teams many interviews with the government they would like to have a more 'realistic' view of life here, they are I think aware that when you talk to government they will always show them the 'best' and they will mostly talk about the economics and infrastructure, business, but they want to show the real singapore too..........

Come on, show the world (well at least Holland first) what living in Singapore means for the majority!

I am not a Singaporean, and I am old 94 years and single, so not really 'typical', I am just a typical Ah Pek!

HS

Hahaha.... the funny thing is - WHO are the majority ?? :think:

Since S'pore have limited land..... more than 85% of us stay in HDB. Out of this 85%..... there are rich, poor, middle income, lower income, better educated, less educated, married, not married.... etc.

Therefore, how could just by staying in a HDB unit define any S'porean as - "Typical". :think:

Wouldn't it be better for your Niece to interview the Man/Woman on the street in both the heartlands (Ang Mo Kio, Woodlands, Bishan... etc) and those white-collar workers at CBD, orchard road... etc. At least she could have a better chance of getting a wider cross section of S'porean.

I see myself as S'porean as can be..... have to work hard for my whole life, still very much single, I do own my own 4room HDB..... no cars or bike. But most of my friends are married and have 2 kids, some own a car or have a maid to look after the children. Compared to them.... Who Is More 'Typical' ?? :dunno: :sweatsm:

Like I said before..... hitting the Streets would be a better bet ;)

I had participated on a media interview by the Thais, only to find that the program was a comedy to mock at participants. And since I didnt understand Thai, I had no clue what he and his crew were saying or laughing about. I didnt really bother finding out how they portrayed me in Thai media as I did my part and did my best.

HS, maybe you may want to find out the agenda behind the program and the objective. Otherwise, it may really be hard to find a suitable family to portray an average family lifestyle in such bad economic times.

Sometimes, the embarrassment is better saved if only it meant to hurt or put one family in a bad light.

That said, it is also not impossible to find such a family. I had seen several touching stories on TV on how the low income struggles just to live another day or how a simple joe goes about in his daily routine..

adding on the wad Contaxable has said, wad level of privacy will the family be given? wad kind of impact will filming have on their daily lives? more info about the TV channel will help potential family from making a more informed decision to or not to be part of the program.

any form of compensation, legal guarantee (where's our resident lawyer? :think:), duration of filming, etc?

Last edited:
to Hongsien,

maybe u could have a list of criteria what defines as typical? rather then leaving it open to interpretation. then lay bare what should that family expect. if not nobody will even be keen to enquire further.

Status
Not open for further replies.